Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can We Elect an Indpendent as POTUS?
YES 20 35.09%
NO 37 64.91%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 01:23 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
When I talk about Christie splitting the party, I'm thinking about how Roosevelt split the GOP in 1912. While Roosevelt lost to Wilson, he soundly beat Taft. If in 2016 we had a similar scenario, I suspect Christie would soundly beat any Tea Party candidate. Why does it matter? Because the GOP modified itself after the 1912 election, considering what the majority of their party members wanted as goals, and not looking to a small group of men to decide the direction of the GOP.
Very true, DC.
A very strong candidate in one of the major parties can be effective in reforming a party at war with itself. That candidate may lose the election, but may go on to win handily the next time around. Ronald Reagan is a good and more recent example.

I'm not sure Christie wants the job, though, just yet. I think he'll go for another term as Governor before seeking any higher office, and I think that would be the smartest move for him if he does have higher aspirations.

He has charisma to spare, that's for sure, and is just at the right age to be in his political prime by 2020. If he pulls of a good second term as Governor, I think he would be all the stronger with the new worn off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 02:28 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
This nation has been ran on a two party system for a long time, and there hasn't been much room for a third party. If an Independent party were to gain a large following, it wouldn't be for at least for at least 20 years.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:29 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
No. Unless the system itself is changed, we will always have a 2 party system.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This nation has been ran on a two party system for a long time, and there hasn't been much room for a third party. If an Independent party were to gain a large following, it wouldn't be for at least for at least 20 years.
If it happened, it would occur at the expense of the Democrats or Republicans. We will never have 3 major parties -- conservatives know Ross Perot elected Bill Clinton, for example, so people are not likely to stray from the party they feel closer to. And I don't blame voters, they are doing what they rationally should do in the current system we have.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:38 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
If it happened, it would occur at the expense of the Democrats or Republicans. We will never have 3 major parties -- conservatives know Ross Perot elected Bill Clinton, for example, so people are not likely to stray from the party they feel closer to. And I don't blame voters, they are doing what they rationally should do in the current system we have.
This is what I'm seeing. The current system we have isn't working. We need something new, or at least a reformer.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Very true, DC.
A very strong candidate in one of the major parties can be effective in reforming a party at war with itself. That candidate may lose the election, but may go on to win handily the next time around. Ronald Reagan is a good and more recent example.

I'm not sure Christie wants the job, though, just yet. I think he'll go for another term as Governor before seeking any higher office, and I think that would be the smartest move for him if he does have higher aspirations.

He has charisma to spare, that's for sure, and is just at the right age to be in his political prime by 2020. If he pulls of a good second term as Governor, I think he would be all the stronger with the new worn off.
I still think he has a problem and it isn't his overall views. I think, even if he isn't a conservative in the true word, he appeals to many of them and I think he is a shoe in for Governor again. But I still say he will have a problem telling it too much like it is. Charisma he has, but I think he lacks class and that it the one thing that might hurt him. Ronald Reagan is the perfect example. Even though he ran as a Republican, which he was, he was a new kind of Republican. Can we say Libertarian leaning. No, not the Ron Paul libertarian, but he did believe in, live and let live.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:35 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
It might be time for the system to go, but it takes years to make that type of change. I think we are seeing an attempt with the Libertarian party moves. As for an independent winning, right now, absolutely no way. It is hard for them to win local elections. As for Christie to thumb his nose, what difference should it make if he is a Republican, Democrat or independent, if you believe in what he stands for, support him. It is that easy.
I think it makes a big difference what platform someone runs on, Christie was widely critcized by many in the GOP for seeking/accepting Federal aid and praising Obama after hurricane Sandy. WHY would I vote for someone representing a party that puts down a man for taking care of the people he represents?

If I'm forced to choose between only two I'll take the other brand of poison. And make no mistake, I consider the current state of both major parties to be poisonous to the country.

Last edited by burdell; 05-17-2013 at 06:59 AM..

Old 05-17-2013, 08:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think it makes a big difference what platform someone runs on, Christie was widely critcized by many in the GOP for seeking/accepting Federal aid and praising Obama after hurricane Sandy. WHY would I vote for someone representing a party that puts down a man for taking care of the people he represents?

If I'm forced to choose between only two I'll take the other brand of poison. And make no mistake, I consider the current state of both major parties to be poisonous to the country.
Maybe I was sleeping but I don't remember the party being particularly upset with him for seeking Federal aid. What was he supposed to do? Yes, some were very upset, including me, to a point, for his embracing the Pres. the way he did. This happens to be his personality and this is where many might have a problem. But certainly people were not upset about his wanting to get federal aid for the state? I am not sure where that idea the party was upset with him came from?

Old 05-17-2013, 08:39 AM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
No. The electoral college makes that impossible.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
No. The electoral college makes that impossible.
Even if we elected based on popular vote there would be a strong disincentive to vote for a third party candidate. Unless you have two rounds in the election or a transferable vote there will be a two-party system... and even countries with those features have a de facto two-party system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections