Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 12:37 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,583,233 times

Advertisements

They can only win the White House if they can convince enough of the electorate that aren't against everyone who isn't an affluent, straight white man. A Latino candidate might be able to help them with this, but demographics are shifting way in favor of the Dems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 11:15 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,128,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
They can only win the White House if they can convince enough of the electorate that aren't against everyone who isn't an affluent, straight white man. A Latino candidate might be able to help them with this, but demographics are shifting way in favor of the Dems.
If you really think about the most likely candidates in 2016, you will see, they are anything but old, white, affluent males. Just take a good look: thus my guess is: whomever is the nominee will not be against many issues that seem very important today. We will just have to wait and see. I don't think gay versus straight will be as big an issue as amnesty, world affairs, the economy and some of the crap that has come to the surface in the past few weeks. At least I hope it isn't an issue.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:30 PM

4,751 posts, read 3,253,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
If you really think about the most likely candidates in 2016, you will see, they are anything but old, white, affluent males. Just take a good look: thus my guess is: whomever is the nominee will not be against many issues that seem very important today. We will just have to wait and see. I don't think gay versus straight will be as big an issue as amnesty, world affairs, the economy and some of the crap that has come to the surface in the past few weeks. At least I hope it isn't an issue.
I recall seeing a poll of Hispanics recently that said two thirds of Hispanic voters would never vote for a candidate that opposed any type of amnesty. I would bet the same would hold true for Asian voters. As far as gay rights, I believe it was a recent Pew poll of age 30 and under that showed 1 out of 4 would never vote for a candidate that was opposed to same sex marriage.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I recall seeing a poll of Hispanics recently that said two thirds of Hispanic voters would never vote for a candidate that opposed any type of amnesty. I would bet the same would hold true for Asian voters. As far as gay rights, I believe it was a recent Pew poll of age 30 and under that showed 1 out of 4 would never vote for a candidate that was opposed to same sex marriage.
I agree on what you are saying right now, but 3 years is a lifetime in politics, I absolutely do not believe any poll that says, 2/3 of the Hispanics would not vote for a candidate that does not support amnesty to its fullest. I have a gut feeling the % of Asians would be a little different. As for gay marriage, that part I agree with full heartedly but 1 in 4 is a very low number, not to mention a huge number of young people do not vote, especially unless there is a candidate that really excites them.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:03 PM

15,361 posts, read 12,551,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree on what you are saying right now, but 3 years is a lifetime in politics, I absolutely do not believe any poll that says, 2/3 of the Hispanics would not vote for a candidate that does not support amnesty to its fullest. I have a gut feeling the % of Asians would be a little different. As for gay marriage, that part I agree with full heartedly but 1 in 4 is a very low number, not to mention a huge number of young people do not vote, especially unless there is a candidate that really excites them.
2/3 of Hispanics would not vote for someone who opposes amnesty...

as far as young people not voting... not sure why some in the GOP keep shrugging their shoulders when it comes to young people or urban votes. You don't win elections by shrinking your voting blocks.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
2/3 of Hispanics would not vote for someone who opposes amnesty...

as far as young people not voting... not sure why some in the GOP keep shrugging their shoulders when it comes to young people or urban votes. You don't win elections by shrinking your voting blocks.
since when do you think the GOP is shrugging their shoulders at young voters? I simply mentioned, young voters do not vote in the same % as older voters unless there is a candidate that really excites them. This has always been the case...and probably always will.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:19 AM

910 posts, read 1,313,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
It's about the same with them as well- 2/3rds support amnesty. What's happened with Asian voters is they've seen how Hispanics have been treated by the GOP and out of concern they'll be targeted next their voting patterns have shifted to mostly Democratic as well, to the point in the last election they voted more Democratic than Hispanics.

Republicans' problems with Asian voters is going to be just as big a problem a couple cycles down the road because unlike Hispanics, their turnout is more like white voters relative to their share of the population, and they've recently overtaken Hispanics as both the fastest-growing and the largest immigrant group, making up half of all immigrants to the US for the past couple years, the vast majority of them through legal means, meaning they get to start voting sooner.

Beyond that about 10% of undocumented immigrants are of Asian origin, so it's not as if they're not paying close attention to the immigration reform nonsense going on right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections