Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 08:04 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,112,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
If a law existed that prevented Christians from getting married would you think that is a serious issue worthy of attention?

I think the only reason that you minimize the importance of equality for homosexuals is because you don't feel that they deserve equal rights and also because you aren't personally affected.
In a national election with all the problems facing us, it would not affect my vote. You must have missed most of my posts: I support gay rights 100%. So before you tell me how I feel read my posts for heavens sake!!!! I have a gay foster daughter, a lot of gay associates, I had a gay boss till I retired at the end of last year, I had gay clients. So you have nothing to base you opinion of me on: you know absolutely nothing about me. I am only basing an opinion on what I see as major issues in 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
It's not just gays; it's their friends, family, and other people who get turned off by Republican demagoguery on the issue.
I agree with you, it is more than just gays and lesbians, but I am only saying, regardless, there could be so many issues in 2016, this one issue will not affect that many voters and if it does, we are a sad group. Never should one or two issues influence how any of us vote. If it does, we are very shallow and closed minded. That is totally my point and not whether or not gay marriage is right or wrong.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:53 PM

52,572 posts, read 47,699,703 times
We need conservatives back in power. Period. Republicans must come together on conservative principles rather than stay divided. They can ill afford to pander to the Marxist left or the center. You've seen what has happened when liberals have been in charge, what with one scandal after another and a gross lack of responsibility, integrity, and accountability. And I, for one, am sick of all this. It is way past time for leadership in this country, and there isn't any. Just cowardice. Conservative principles will improve our economy, our international relations, and our overall way of life.

I can see it happening in 2016. People are tired of a corrupt Washington.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:54 PM

910 posts, read 1,313,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranston View Post
I agree, however, this may not be an issue in 2016, depending on the Supreme Court. We never know with the Supreme Court but I don't think DOMA will survive.
People thought abortion was a settled issue after Roe as well. Unless SCOTUS goes whole hog and strikes down DOMA in its entirety and overturns every state level ban, which they probably won't, it'll still be an issue in 2016, when there'll likely be pressure for the next president to deal with marriage equality at the federal level.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:13 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,182,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree with you, it is more than just gays and lesbians, but I am only saying, regardless, there could be so many issues in 2016, this one issue will not affect that many voters and if it does, we are a sad group. Never should one or two issues influence how any of us vote. If it does, we are very shallow and closed minded. That is totally my point and not whether or not gay marriage is right or wrong.
I agree. Wedge issues like gay marriage, abortion, climate change, etc are distractions and are a big part of the reason we have the quality of people running for office now that we do. All a candidate has to do is energize the base on those issues and in the mean time they can enact whatever treasonous policies they want and not be held accountable. It would be nice if gay marriage would be settled by 2016 so it won't be the huge elephant in the room and people can vote on other issues. Unfortunately, politicians know the game and know wedge politics works with the American sheeple, so its not likely to change any time soon.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I agree. Wedge issues like gay marriage, abortion, climate change, etc are distractions and are a big part of the reason we have the quality of people running for office now that we do. All a candidate has to do is energize the base on those issues and in the mean time they can enact whatever treasonous policies they want and not be held accountable. It would be nice if gay marriage would be settled by 2016 so it won't be the huge elephant in the room and people can vote on other issues. Unfortunately, politicians know the game and know wedge politics works with the American sheeple, so its not likely to change any time soon.
I think many of us are hoping Gay Marriage will be settled very soon. I see this happening sooner than later, but whether it will be in the next couple of years? That is anyone's guess. Believe me, I do think social issues are important, overall and I do care how the candidates feel about many of them. I just don't think one or two issues should be the deciding reason for voting for or against a candidate. If that were the case, many of us would never even vote. I have yet to find a candidate, running for Pres. that I agreed with all his positions.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:41 AM

12,881 posts, read 13,546,698 times
I can't see a Hillary and Joe ticket . Its too much on the State Department /foreign policy side not enough domestic policy possibilties. That (domestic policy) is what Americans are going to want from both parties. Not just the controversial issues but things that affect all families and individuals. I think The current President is trying to wean us on foreign policy only.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,898,732 times
Quote:
In a national election with all the problems facing us, it would not affect my vote. You must have missed most of my posts: I support gay rights 100%. So before you tell me how I feel read my posts for heavens sake!!!! I have a gay foster daughter, a lot of gay associates, I had a gay boss till I retired at the end of last year, I had gay clients. So you have nothing to base you opinion of me on: you know absolutely nothing about me. I am only basing an opinion on what I see as major issues in 2016.
A gay rights supporter that votes for Republicans? That is a bit like being a Jew that worked for the Nazis.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
A gay rights supporter that votes for Republicans? That is a bit like being a Jew that worked for the Nazis.
Have you heard of the Log Cabin Republicans? I don't have a clue where you get your ideas, but they sure seem to be based on nothing but what you seem to want to think. Do you feel the same about blacks that are actually Republicans and how about Atheists and Agnostics that also are part of the GOP? Do you really think, only white anglos can be Republicans? Boy it appears you have a very closed mind?

Old 06-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,898,732 times
Quote:
Have you heard of the Log Cabin Republicans? I don't have a clue where you get your ideas, but they sure seem to be based on nothing but what you seem to want to think. Do you feel the same about blacks that are actually Republicans and how about Atheists and Agnostics that also are part of the GOP? Do you really think, only white anglos can be Republicans? Boy it appears you have a very closed mind?
Your comparisons to African American and atheist/agnostic Republicans is ridiculous. The Republican Party platform includes statements that supports the ongoing bigotry and also calls for an expansion of discrimination against homosexuals. There is nothing similar in the platform that addresses stripping civil rights from African Americans or nonbelievers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections