Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 06:24 AM

620 posts, read 2,055,888 times

Advertisements

Part of the public record and I encourage everyone to explore on their own, but here is an article that I found with a quick google search citing the crazy laundry charges: New Fuel To Halliburton Fraud Fire, CBS News Has Documents Showing Firm Charged Improper Fees - CBS News

I get the 470 billion number from costofwar.com which is funded by the national priorities project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 06:27 AM

You may remember that they just moved their headquarters to the UAE. Many think this was to avoid fraud investigation. Nice that all that money is going to a company whose head quarters are not even in the US anymore.

Old 11-09-2007, 06:28 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Do some people here believe it is the USA's 'job' to be the policeman of the world??

If so then why?

Old 11-09-2007, 06:38 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MermanMike View Post
Part of the public record and I encourage everyone to explore on their own, but here is an article that I found with a quick google search citing the crazy laundry charges: New Fuel To Halliburton Fraud Fire, CBS News Has Documents Showing Firm Charged Improper Fees - CBS News

I get the 470 billion number from costofwar.com which is funded by the national priorities project.
CBS... left wing liberal media. Cost of War .com looks much the same to me. Not reliable sources by my standards.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:36 AM

If you really care then you will go searching and find that the story has been reported by many different sources and that our government acknowledged it. If you just want to polarize and debate, I can't help.

If you want to figure out how much the war costs you will just look at all the moneys appropriated by congress for the war and come up with the same numbers that costofwar.com came up with.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
If you really care then you will go searching and find that the story has been reported by many different sources and that our government acknowledged it. If you just want to polarize and debate, I can't help.

If you want to figure out how much the war costs you will just look at all the moneys appropriated by congress for the war and come up with the same numbers that costofwar.com came up with.
I'm not saying the war hasn't cost a fortune. BUT to me, if it's keeping the fighting over there instead of thousands of innocent citizens getting killed here, it's worth it. So far for over six years, it's working.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:37 PM

Default A lighter view of Osama

Little Susie comes home from first grade and tells her father that they learned about the history of valentine's Day

"Since Valentine's Day is for a Christian saint and we're Jewish," she asks, "Will God get mad at me for giving someone a valentine?"
Susie's father thinks a bit, then says "No, I don't think God would get mad. Who do you want to give a valentine
"Osama Bin Laden," she says.

"Why Osama Bin Laden?" her father asks in shock.

"Well," she says, "I thought that if a little American Jewish girl could have enough love to give Osama a valentine, he might start to think that maybe we're not all bad, and maybe start loving people little bit.
And if other kids saw what I did and sent valentines to Osama, he'd love everyone a lot. And then, he'd start going all over the place telling everyone how much he loved them and how he didn't hate anyone anymore."

Her father's heart swells and he looks at his daughter with newfound pride.."Susie, that's the most wonderful thing I've ever heard."

"I know," Susie says, "and once that gets him out in the open, the Marines could blow the s**t out of him.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:17 PM

640 posts, read 461,439 times
Quote:

EXCEPT, you have to subtract out all of the billions of dollars that Congress ear-marked in to the war spending costs. Around 12-13 billion ~ research that and WHERE the money was used, rather than the war effort, and give an accounting then...

Old 11-09-2007, 02:24 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Ask yourself a question.

What would have happened if a week or so after 9-11 the US had captured Osama?

Bush would have had no excuse for this stupid war that is totally unrelated to 9-11.

I think we could have had Osama by now if we wanted him. Its not like he can blend in, dragging that dialysis machine behind him in a region with spotty at best electrical supply.

As long as Osama is loose, Bush has an excuse to play war in Iraq AND a built in excuse to start it up with other countries as well. All he has to do is invoke the name of Terrorism, bring back those horrible memories we all have of 9-11 just to push our buttons and make us affraid all over again.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:51 PM

791 posts, read 2,222,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Do some people here believe it is the USA's 'job' to be the policeman of the world??

If so then why?
I don't believe the US should be the policeman of the world. I believe the US should bring troops home from any land that is not US property and Hawaii as well. And the Caribbean. I don't think US troops should be stationed anywhere on this planet that is not one of the states and that the troops we have should be used for border patrol.

Should a foreign country feel a need for some 'police' protection and look to the US for assistance, they should be referred to the French Foreign Legion, Blackwater or other mercenary force. And that would include Canada.

Having established that the US is no longer the benefactor of liberty and welfare, I think US entry visas should be set to a premium, in the method of JFK, as not what the US can do for you but what can you do for the US>

But, that ain't the way it is and hasn't been over 65 years. You gotta problem with that, tell yer congressman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections