U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 07:26 PM

11,128 posts, read 13,385,369 times

Advertisements

Well it seems every televangelist, every minister and preacher have finally parted ways and decided to endorse every Republican candidate out there. No longer are the days when the Christian right moved as a single force of nature that was a large portion of the bread and butter for the GOP since Reagan.

Since the infection of the viral neoconservatives has come to pass, the GOP parted company with fiscal conservatism and sent them heading towards the libertarians and the one room school house of Austrian economics. The smaller government conservatives were cut loose on 9-12-01 when this administration decided to bloat the government like a dead horse on a hot summers day. This left two groups standing, the social conservatives and neocon war party and today, one of those has left the building.

Now that the GOP ranks are thoroughly purged of this plague, maybe now it can get busy rebuilding on its core components instead of pandering to fear.

Anyone think the Christian conservatives will regain the power they have lost this election cycle?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 07:37 PM

10,193 posts, read 25,859,639 times
Judging from the what we are seeing these days, and with one year from the presidential election, I'd say the Christian conservatives have lost their footing.

However, there is much financial power and political savvy among this larger group, so I'd say premature betting is beyond me.

Quote:
Anyone think the Christian conservatives will regain the power they have lost this election cycle?

Old 11-07-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Judging from the what we are seeing these days, and with one year from the presidential election, I'd say the Christian conservatives have lost their footing.

However, there is much financial power and political savvy among this larger group, so I'd say premature betting is beyond me.
Well their power stemmed from their unity in voting. Divided (like America) they don't stand a chance even if they spend large sums of money over a broad spectrum of candidates.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:18 PM

10,193 posts, read 25,859,639 times
Hope you're right! And I can save the betting money for a trip to pick up my baskets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well their power stemmed from their unity in voting. Divided (like America) they don't stand a chance even if they spend large sums of money over a broad spectrum of candidates.

Old 11-07-2007, 08:28 PM

640 posts, read 407,107 times
Christian conservatives are still united. Patience and persistence are just two strong points that they possess; a group to be reckoned with. Also, I want to just say that gay marriage and abortion are NOT the major concerns for most conservatives. They are important, yes. But the war, the economy and other social issues are WAY before abortion and gay marriage. There are peaks and valleys in any group or organization. But don't count us out just yet.....

Old 11-07-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
Christian conservatives are still united. Patience and persistence are just two strong points that they possess; a group to be reckoned with. Also, I want to just say that gay marriage and abortion are NOT the major concerns for most conservatives. They are important, yes. But the war, the economy and other social issues are WAY before abortion and gay marriage. There are peaks and valleys in any group or organization. But don't count us out just yet.....
I do count them out this election cycle. However, like all things, they will gather and find themselves again, of this I have no doubts. I suppose I am asking if they will rise to prominence any time in the near future as they they did from 1980-2000.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:07 PM

3,885 posts, read 7,701,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I do count them out this election cycle. However, like all things, they will gather and find themselves again, of this I have no doubts. I suppose I am asking if they will rise to prominence any time in the near future as they they did from 1980-2000.
I tend to agree with you that they are out for this election cycle. There is too much division between leaders and it doesn't look like one candidate is going to get the general nod. I watched the newshour with Jim Leher tonight and the leaders with the most influence are divided. Pat Robertson has chosen Guiliani because his idea of a major problem in the US is Islamic terrorism and Dr. Dobson is leaning towards an independent because family values are most important to him. Then there's Hagee and he probably wants to elect Ehud Olmert, but that's another story. I can't see the typical religious right solidarity coming into play anytime soon. Maybe they should flip a coin to see what is most important - killing the evil or saving the angels?

Last edited by MooksterL1; 11-07-2007 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: I can't spell Hagee.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:12 PM

2,007 posts, read 3,656,796 times
I hope so! This is the only area where I part from the rest of the Conservative party.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I tend to agree with you that they are out for this election cycle. There is too much division between leaders and it doesn't look like one candidate is going to get the general nod. I watched the newshour with Jim Leher tonight and the leaders with the most influence are divided. Pat Robertson has chosen Guiliani because his idea of a major problem in the US is Islamic terrorism and Dr. Dobson is leaning towards an independent because family values are most important to him. Then there's Hagy and he probably wants to elect Ehud Olmert, but that's another story. I can't see the typical religious right solidarity coming into play anytime soon. Maybe they should flip a coin to see what is most important - killing the evil or saving the angels?
Ha ha, funny you should mention Olmert because in Haaretz today we have the following...

Prime Minister Ehud Olmert was judged the most corrupt member of government by the public for the second year in a row according to the Sderot Conference, an annual gathering of experts which published its yearly report Wednesday.

Public poll: Olmert most corrupt member of government - Haaretz - Israel News
I think Olmert has a shot of at least getting a senior cabinet position in the Giuliani or Clinton White House, after all, as much time as these two have spent on all fours courting this jester. Well we can all take solace in the fact that our number one ally in the world is as at least as corrupt if not more than we are. No wonder Hagee loves this guy so much.

On a more serious note, do you feel the Christian right will remained fractured or will it gather cohesion before the election?

Old 11-07-2007, 09:20 PM

640 posts, read 407,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
I tend to agree with you that they are out for this election cycle. There is too much division between leaders and it doesn't look like one candidate is going to get the general nod. I watched the newshour with Jim Leher tonight and the leaders with the most influence are divided. Pat Robertson has chosen Guiliani because his idea of a major problem in the US is Islamic terrorism and Dr. Dobson is leaning towards an independent because family values are most important to him. Then there's Hagy and he probably wants to elect Ehud Olmert, but that's another story. I can't see the typical religious right solidarity coming into play anytime soon. Maybe they should flip a coin to see what is most important - killing the evil or saving the angels?
Well, first ~ James Dobson has only endorsed one candidate ever and that was in 2004; President Bush. He has already said that he will note this year if the nominee is Rudy Guiliani. He said he would forfeit his vote. Period. And second, very few Christians will follow Dobson and refuse to vote. That won't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections