Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 04:09 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you do realize Perry is pro Amnesty or should we say, he believe children here illegally should be allowed instate tuition.
Rick Perry should have never jumped into the 2012 election at the last minute. If he wanted to run, then he should have planned better for it. He had back surgery, got out of the hospital and then immediately hit the campaign trail - while loaded with pain medication and muscle relaxers. He's never been a great speaker, but a grueling primary under those circumstances is foolish.

Perry is NOT for "amnesty" - all States have a Federal mandate to educate illegal aliens in our public schools, the same is true of emergency medical care. The Texas population strongly supported the Texas Legislature's move to allow those students who attended all of their High School years and graduated - to attend Texas State colleges with in-State tuition. They don't step above any Texas citizen, they don't get any State money for tuition. This law was passed many years ago.

This made sense for many reasons - they live here (we can't change that) and the feeling was that it's better for them to get education than to turn to crime or hang around on street corners.

Rick Perry could have done a lot better job of explaining why we have that law and that it had overwhelming support from the citizens. He has never made a habit of using the VETO on any legislation that had majority support - I have no idea what he personally thought about the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 04:14 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default Predictable. Better suited for shoveling horse manure

The man was exposed as a stumbling, staggering, babbling, bungling, bumbling, blundering imbecile in his presidential run. My God, worst candidate in history. He was petrified of Romney and inferior to him. Even Romney knew Perry was a fool, and an embarrassing presence for the GOP. Perry looked stupid and his policies in Texas are beyond idiotic. He's part of the problem, and had become an unpopular Governor. He embarrassed the proud state of Texas. Not surprising that he won't seek reelection.

About a presidential run, he has no more business running for president than Yosemite Sam. He's a ruggedly handsome man. I think he's better suited posing for pictures, with him shoveling horse manure on some farm in Texas. He can be a spokesperson for the proper way to shovel horse manure. Seen but not heard. This is the best position for him, and the only one he seems suited for.

Rick Perry, a Model for Manure-Shoveling Ads in the State of Texas.

Last edited by LexusNexus; 07-08-2013 at 04:40 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 05:07 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. I wouldn't underestimate how angry people are with incumbents.

I am by no means implying a Democrat, but people will likely be much more willing to listen to an outsider this time.
You don't actually live in Texas do you?
People are angry with incumbents, but not with incumbents that have popular support. "Outsiders" don't do particularly well in Texas politics.

Polling (both PPP & Texas Tribune/UT Texas) show that Perry would win a 4th term if he ran for Governor again.

Quote:
PPP surveyed 500 Texas voters from June 28th to July 1st, 2013. The margin of error for the survey is +/- 4.4%. This poll was not authorized or paid for by any campaign or political organization. PPP’s surveys are conducted through automated telephone interviews.

General Election Toplines - this from PPP

Q7 If the candidates for Governor next year were
Republican Rick Perry and Democrat Julian
Castro, who would you vote for?
Rick Perry .................................................. ..... 50%
Julian Castro............................................ ....... 43%
Not sure .................................................. ........ 8%

Q8 If the candidates for Governor next year were
Republican Rick Perry and Democrat Wendy
Davis, who would you vote for?
Rick Perry .................................................. ..... 53%
Wendy Davis............................................. ...... 39%
Not sure .................................................. ........ 8%

Q9 If the candidates for Governor next year were
Republican Rick Perry and Democrat Annise
Parker, who would you vote for?
Rick Perry .................................................. ..... 52%
Annise Parker ................................................. 35%
Not sure .................................................. ........ 13%

Q10 If the candidates for Governor next year were
Republican Rick Perry and Democrat Bill
White, who would you vote for?
Rick Perry .................................................. ..... 50%
Bill White............................................. ............ 40%
Not sure .................................................. ........ 10%

Q11 If the candidates for Governor next year were
Republican Greg Abbott and Democrat Julian
Castro, who would you vote for?
Greg Abbott .................................................. .. 48%
Julian Castro............................................ ....... 34%
Not sure .................................................. ........ 18%

Q12 If the candidates for Governor next year were
Republican Greg Abbott and Democrat Wendy
Davis, who would you vote for?
Wendy Davis............................................. ...... 40%
Not sure .................................................. ........ 12%

Q13 If the candidates for Governor next year were
Republican Greg Abbott and Democrat Annise
Parker, who would you vote for?
Greg Abbott .................................................. .. 50%
Annise Parker ................................................. 31%
Not sure .................................................. ........ 20%

Q14 If the candidates for Governor next year were
Republican Greg Abbott and Democrat Bill
White, who would you vote for?
Bill White............................................. ............ 36%
Not sure .................................................. ........ 16%

Q15 Do you think Rick Perry should run for reelection
as Governor next year, or not?
He should............... .30%
He should not......... .60%
Not sure ................. .10%
The Texas Tribune poll was about the same - Perry wins against anyone who runs against him .... BUT the public is weary of him as Governor. I've voted for and against Rick Perry over the years - his greatest strength is that he understands the voters and listens to what they say. I've seen him "change" because the Texas voters demanded it. Perry certainly has a lot of faults, but a strength is that he Listens to the citizens in Texas and the people he is supposed to represent.

I wish all Politicians did that - most think they are bullet proof and can do what they like.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:37 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Did God tell him not to run? Evidently God was just screwing with him when He told him to run for POTUS.
Fool me once, and all that....

Old 07-08-2013, 07:49 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
We need a Governor like all those that come out of Illinois and New Yawk

They do a few years and you then send them to prison.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:49 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
People are angry with incumbents, but not with incumbents that have popular support. "Outsiders" don't do particularly well in Texas politics.

Polling (both PPP & Texas Tribune/UT Texas) show that Perry would win a 4th term if he ran for Governor again.

The Texas Tribune poll was about the same - Perry wins against anyone who runs against him .... BUT the public is weary of him as Governor. I've voted for and against Rick Perry over the years - his greatest strength is that he understands the voters and listens to what they say. I've seen him "change" because the Texas voters demanded it. Perry certainly has a lot of faults, but a strength is that he Listens to the citizens in Texas and the people he is supposed to represent.

I wish all Politicians did that - most think they are bullet proof and can do what they like.
Well when you lead a state to 8% GDP growth in 2012 ;people take notice. Results count.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:51 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Rick Perry Just Announced He will not run for Re-Election For Texas Governor...Is he setting up for 2016 Presidential run or to avoid a Blue Texas Win?
I don't think he will run for President.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:53 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post

What you say in bold is certainly true.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,556 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its clear form his success in easily winning elections that he had no problem beatings Democrats or even some very seriously qualified Republicans. I think he will have a great influence still after leaving office. Success counts and Texas voters are very satisfied except the opposition with his leadership. One only has to look at other governors following much of what he has done. Republicans have had great success in state house elections last few decades and last two election cycles its increased greatly.
No it isnt. He was a Lt. Governor who took over the office of Governor when Bush won the presidency and won as an Incumbent with the establishment behind him is a state that is +14 R.

LOL at "some Very serious Republicans" the man won his first primary in 2002 unopposed 2006 primary with 84%. KB Hutchinson is the only competition he ever had, and he still beat her by 20 points and out performed his opponents in the "money game" by millions every time.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:07 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
No, Perry simply murdered Cameron Todd Willingham, an innocent man whose three daughters died in a tragic house fire.
Texas does love to murder people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I don't think he will run...maybe retire...god if he runs, he won't make it to the primary...

I think he did a good job in Texas but he is kind of dingy
Sorry, that name is reserved for female R candidates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections