Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 03:25 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Sadly, we could also end up with more Todd Aikens. We'll see. A lot of people out there who would normally be inclined to vote Republican see little difference between either party and are perfectly content to let the GOP self-destruct.
I don't think so, or I hope not. I think the GOP candidates have learned their lesson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 03:50 PM

22,154 posts, read 19,397,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and you are hoping for what you say; continue to dream, but eventually you will have to wake up. I feel confident the Akins will not be running for anything in 2014. I think many have learned a hard lesson. As for the tea party, I have no idea how many tea party supported candidates will run. Are you forgetting 2010?
Republicans in Georgia already have an akin running and that isnt even the most insane one in that race.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:59 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,388,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
your article title says "take back the senate"

1 seat does not do that(nor are you guaranteed to win it), where do you see Republicans picking up the other 5 seats ?

And also, what is your strategy in 2016 When the seats up for election are all considered "safe" for the Dems ,and Republicans have seats up in Michigan, Illinois,Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Iowa, Wisconsin, New Hampshire, and North Carolina?

He probably isnt running for senate the very reason I and other Dems have mentioned, he will run for President in 2016.

Republicans have a seat up in Michigan???

Old 07-13-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Republicans in Georgia already have an akin running and that isnt even the most insane one in that race.
Is he running unopposed, does he have the nomination sewed up? If not, right now that means nothing. of course we will always have idiots on both sides, I think the discussion here is more about the actual nominee.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Is he running unopposed, does he have the nomination sewed up? If not, right now that means nothing. of course we will always have idiots on both sides, I think the discussion here is more about the actual nominee.
No, Gingrey isn't the only one running nor does he have it sown up. This is another guy running

Rep. Paul Broun Says Evolution, Embryology, and Big Bang Theory are "Lies from the Pit of Hell" - YouTube

It really is a circus.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:53 AM

29,452 posts, read 16,443,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
LOL, no. i was going from memory.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:59 AM

29,452 posts, read 16,443,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Well then he is just silly what is he banking out Hillary Clinton's demise?
He is a centralist Democrat from a red state with a high approval rating on both sides of the aisle. He does not have to bank on Hillary Clinton not running,he just needs to put forth his ideals in what would be considered a moderate way.

Democrats run to their right in primaries already, he is already there. could he beat Hillary, no,but he could be the #1 pick for VP.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:22 PM

494 posts, read 802,329 times
Quote:
your article title says "take back the senate"

1 seat does not do that(nor are you guaranteed to win it), where do you see Republicans picking up the other 5 seats ?

And also, what is your strategy in 2016 When the seats up for election are all considered "safe" for the Dems ,and Republicans have seats up in Michigan, Illinois,Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Iowa, Wisconsin, New Hampshire, and North Carolina?

He probably isnt running for senate the very reason I and other Dems have mentioned, he will run for President in 2016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
That had me scratching my head. BOTH Senators are democrats BUT it should be noted that only one is seeking re-election. Senator Levin plans to retire.

Quote:
LOL, no. i was going from memory.
You should edit your original comment.

Quote:
He is a centralist Democrat from a red state with a high approval rating on both sides of the aisle. He does not have to bank on Hillary Clinton not running,he just needs to put forth his ideals in what would be considered a moderate way.

Democrats run to their right in primaries already, he is already there. could he beat Hillary, no,but he could be the #1 pick for VP.

Funny how soo many think Clinton is a shoe in. If the dem party is wise they will stay clear of her and give this guy a shot. Clinton has WAY WAY too much baggage.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
That had me scratching my head. BOTH Senators are democrats BUT it should be noted that only one is seeking re-election. Senator Levin plans to retire.

You should edit your original comment.

Funny how soo many think Clinton is a shoe in. If the dem party is wise they will stay clear of her and give this guy a shot. Clinton has WAY WAY too much baggage.
I could be wrong but I see the "Clinton Love affair" as frustration for some, she didn't get the bid in2008 and a lack of any other viable candidate yet for 2016. Also remember, not a single Democrat has really acted like they would love to be the next president. We will see names pop up by this time next year, certainly, then let's see if her popularity is still as high as today.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I could be wrong but I see the "Clinton Love affair" as frustration for some, she didn't get the bid in2008 and a lack of any other viable candidate yet for 2016. Also remember, not a single Democrat has really acted like they would love to be the next president. We will see names pop up by this time next year, certainly, then let's see if her popularity is still as high as today.
It is still quite early in the process, however to say there is no other viable candidate is absolutely insane. In fact the Dem potential bench is a bit deeper than the GOP bench

Cuomo
Patrick
Schweitzer (likely why he isn't running for the Senate seat)
Hickenlooper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections