Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 06:48 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,268,822 times

Advertisements

I remain convinced that Hillary probably will not run. Few Americans have every heard of Brian Schweitzer or Martin O'Malley, but they will. If Democrats are putting all their eggs in the Hillary basket, and she decides not to run, it could portend trouble for them.

I think it's interesting that Hillary is the overwhelming favorite on the D side, while no R stands out. Rand Paul with 18% can hardly be called a front-runner.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:53 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I remain convinced that Hillary probably will not run. Few Americans have every heard of Brian Schweitzer or Martin O'Malley, but they will. If Democrats are putting all their eggs in the Hillary basket, and she decides not to run, it could portend trouble for them.

I think it's interesting that Hillary is the overwhelming favorite on the D side, while no R stands out. Rand Paul with 18% can hardly be called a front-runner.
My take on this: most of the Republican names are recognizable so the vote is split all over the place: On the D. side, hardly any and Hillary is a name everyone knows. I think that explains the difference. My biggest fear is: the Republicans will do like they have many times and have too many candidates. It does nothing but split everything. We need to see a few, serious candidates and get behind them.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:08 PM

4,751 posts, read 3,252,582 times
Quote:

If Hillary did not run, I doubt Schweitzer or O'Malley would be front runners. Biden would most likely be the front runner and I would not count out John Kerry for a second run. Normally I would say both of them would not win the election, but with ever changing demographics they would still have the advantage over the GOP, unless voter turnout for the Dems was really low, or we get Comprehensive Immigration reform.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:58 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,315,321 times
The media gate keepers will do to Rand, what they did to his dad and silence him.
There is no way they will ever let a Conservative, with absolutely no Progressive thinking, in the White House.
The push to a One World Order, cannot be disrupted.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:48 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,179,232 times
Most people thought Hillary was a done deal in 2008. It had been talked about as far back as 2001 and she got beat by a community organizer from Illinois who most people hadn't heard of until 2006.

On the Republican side, I don't really see anyone who can make inroads with people born after 1980. I've heard a lot of conservatives say Jeb Bush would be good, but he could never win because of his family name. He would be judged by George W. Bush's presidency and not his own record as governor of Florida. The GOP primary is going to turn into what it has been the past two cyles: pandering to the religious right. It will probably come down to a religious candidate and a RINO. The RINO will win but will ruin his credibility by attacking gays in order to get through the primary process. Come November, the Democrats will win in a landslide.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:15 AM

29,374 posts, read 16,286,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Most people thought Hillary was a done deal in 2008. It had been talked about as far back as 2001 and she got beat by a community organizer from Illinois who most people hadn't heard of until 2006.

On the Republican side, I don't really see anyone who can make inroads with people born after 1980. I've heard a lot of conservatives say Jeb Bush would be good, but he could never win because of his family name. He would be judged by George W. Bush's presidency and not his own record as governor of Florida. The GOP primary is going to turn into what it has been the past two cyles: pandering to the religious right. It will probably come down to a religious candidate and a RINO. The RINO will win but will ruin his credibility by attacking gays in order to get through the primary process. Come November, the Democrats will win in a landslide.
Barack Obama gave the keynote address of the DNC in 2004(meaning about 40 million people were watching), yes people had heard of him before 2006.

Nationwide opinion polling for the Democratic Party 2008 presidential candidates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

polling in 2004 and 2005.

Also, as you can See, Hillary was not nearly as large a frontrunner as she is now. this time in 2005, she was only getting about 41%, now she is fluctuating between 60 and 70.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:45 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The media gate keepers will do to Rand, what they did to his dad and silence him.
There is no way they will ever let a Conservative, with absolutely no Progressive thinking, in the White House.
The push to a One World Order, cannot be disrupted.
Fro whatever reason I do not think the media is going to go after Rand. I think they might adopt him, truthfully. His personality, fair or not, is more attractive to the mainstream than his dad's was. Will Rand prevail, I have my doubts, but I don't think the media will be responsible. We still have a long way before this race really takes shape. Let's get through 2014 and then start think Pres. race. I will add, Rand Paul already is much more popular and is getting a lot more positive vibes than Ron ever did.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:57 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,179,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Barack Obama gave the keynote address of the DNC in 2004(meaning about 40 million people were watching), yes people had heard of him before 2006.

Nationwide opinion polling for the Democratic Party 2008 presidential candidates - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

polling in 2004 and 2005.

Also, as you can See, Hillary was not nearly as large a frontrunner as she is now. this time in 2005, she was only getting about 41%, now she is fluctuating between 60 and 70.
Political junkies were watching Obama at that point but the average American was not yet. He became a household name though by 2007. Obama didn't start appearing as a hopeful until at the earliest very late 2005. He truly came out of nowhere and trounced the establishment candidate. That's one thing that people were amazed by.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:41 PM

29,374 posts, read 16,286,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Political junkies were watching Obama at that point but the average American was not yet. He became a household name though by 2007. Obama didn't start appearing as a hopeful until at the earliest very late 2005. He truly came out of nowhere and trounced the establishment candidate. That's one thing that people were amazed by.
Again, the man's DNC speech in 2004 was watched by 40 million people. those arent just political junkies. And he obviously did not come out of no where if he was jump started on that big of a stage.

Im not at all claiming people thought he would win back in 2004 or 2005, but simply that people knew who he was and that Hillary was far from the front runner she is today.

People are misremembering history again with that "trounced" argument. He barely won the primaries people.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:18 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,648,803 times
Quote:
If Democrats are putting all their eggs in the Hillary basket, and she decides not to run, it could portend trouble for them.
Which is why she understands that she needs to decide soon, and make an announcement soon. By soon, I mean probably the beginning of 2014. She can't wait much longer than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections