Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 02:48 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,751 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this has come up in this forum, and he has not announced a candidacy, but if Mike Bloomberg (current NY mayor) would run for President I would vote for him in a heartbeat.

He is the only potential candidate I have ever come across who actually displays a no-nonsense attitude, basic common sense and a surprising lack of drama.

He has no interest in legislating peoples private lives, and is arguably the most fiscally conservative social liberal out there.

He has done a remarkable job of cooling the hightened racial tensions that existed in New York under Guliani by keeping things open and public and responding to racial incidents in a cool and fair manner.

He is the lap dog of no political party and has his own money to run - so is beholden to no commercial interests.

Of course being anti-gun, pro gay rights and a short Jewish guy from the East Coast he has a snowballs hope in hell of being elected.

Pity. America needs someone like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 03:31 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,178 times
If RP dosent get to election, and bloomber does, I'd vote bloomberg...

Old 11-14-2007, 03:35 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
would he pull more votes from the democratic party or republican party?

Old 11-14-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
Good question. He was a Democrat before he switched to Republican for the mayorship, now he is independant.

I think he really appeals to the center - which constitutes a large part of each party. I don't see evangelicals giving him a single vote, but the more traditional conservatives probably would -the ones that don't care what people do in their bedrooms. As for Democrats, probably would have a lot of appeal.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:22 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Could Bloomberg pull enough Independent and moderate Democrat votes from Hillary that he could afford to lose the religious right? At the same time, could he get the votes of traditional conservatives? If so, I could see him getting a landslide victory with Hillary of course taking the far left and Huckabee the far right.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:33 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
It wouldn't surprise if he jumps in, or not. Bloomberg is a sophisticated politician regardless of which party he affiliates with; lots of personal funds; no ties to anyone I can think of, but not always the easiest boss. He is very, underline that three or four times, self-reliant and sometimes that clouds the bigger picture when he's working with parters.

Just my thoughts having worked with an agency in the City (for the State) and observing some of his strategies and decision making.

And PS - He probably does have more integrity than many of the others running on either side of the political fence.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
He is very, underline that three or four times, self-reliant and sometimes that clouds the bigger picture when he's working with parters.
Let me see......a President who can actually think for himself? Sounds better and better all the time.

Old 11-14-2007, 05:47 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
If RP dosent get to election, and bloomber does, I'd vote bloomberg...
Wow, that is shocking. You are trading Paul, a conservative-libertarian for a liebral playboy. Not a good trade. But again, if you were going to go for Hillary rather than some GOP candidate, then I HOPE you go Bloomberg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
I am thinking he will pull some from both, but mostly from the Democrats, That would mean another GOP in the House for 4 more years (hopefully Fred).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
I don't know if this has come up in this forum, and he has not announced a candidacy, but if Mike Bloomberg (current NY mayor) would run for President I would vote for him in a heartbeat.

He is the only potential candidate I have ever come across who actually displays a no-nonsense attitude, basic common sense and a surprising lack of drama.

He has no interest in legislating peoples private lives, and is arguably the most fiscally conservative social liberal out there.

He has done a remarkable job of cooling the hightened racial tensions that existed in New York under Guliani by keeping things open and public and responding to racial incidents in a cool and fair manner.

He is the lap dog of no political party and has his own money to run - so is beholden to no commercial interests.

Of course being anti-gun, pro gay rights and a short Jewish guy from the East Coast he has a snowballs hope in hell of being elected.

Pity. America needs someone like that.
Well, Bloomberg is a hardcore left-wing extremist. I doubt the GOP voters (other than the ones in states that the Dems would win anyway) would go for "The Bloomning Idiot" as he is known in amny circles.

So he will definitely draw Dem votes, which is awesome.

Go Bloomberg, Go!!

Old 11-14-2007, 07:06 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
Wow, that is shocking. You are trading Paul, a conservative-libertarian for a liebral playboy. Not a good trade. But again, if you were going to go for Hillary rather than some GOP candidate, then I HOPE you go Bloomberg!!
I said IF RP dosent make it past primaries.. since Bloomberg would likely run independent since he dosen't need to go republican to raise money, the advantage of being a billionaire.

But the country is essentially a buisness and we have a crapload of economic issues such as healthcare, social security, debt, budget. We could use a good buisnessman to run it. All the other republican candidates are just bush clones, and I'm not really one to vote for oligarchy, hence the reason why this traditional conservative would vote for bloomberg.

Old 11-14-2007, 11:10 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,715,569 times
I haven't looked at his positions closely enough to form an educated opinion, but on the surface his anti-gun stance leads me to believe that he doesn't respect the Constitution and doesn't understand that without the 2nd Amendment, we have no rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections