Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:29 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,161,213 times

Advertisements

I hear all the GOP candidates talking about how much they're like Ronald Reagan. He's become a god like figure for them. I'd like some people who liked Reagan or not, to talk about his policies. Maybe GOP supporters can talk about how their candidate is like Reagan. Was he a good president for you that lived through it. I'm 34 years old. Not quite old enough to remember. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 10:00 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
I think a hundred years from now he'll be rated as average and a triumph of style over substance. I think his greatest accomplishment was seemingly giving Americans permission to feel good about their country and themselves again after undergoing some tough times. But he certainly had his flaws, the Iran/Contra affair among them which he conveniently developed amnesia about when questioned. I'm not sure how his tax policies balanced out but in a book by Leslie Stahl she made a point that the cuts were well publicized while the increases seemed to occur at midnight behind closed doors.

Like most Presidents a combination of good, bad, and indifferent but I don't think him to be the genius that many seem to consider him.

Last edited by burdell; 01-12-2008 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-12-2008, 10:05 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,538,959 times
Definitely have to agree with"he made us feel good". But I bristle at the suggestion that he singlehandedly ended the Cold War. The Soviet Bloc was about ready to implode financially, anyway, before he took office. I also believe he was the one that gave big business even more ability to bust unions and generally lower the wages and working conditions in Amerrica through all this part time work, no benefits, no retirement plan jobs we have now...

Old 01-12-2008, 10:36 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,445,226 times
I voted for Reagan both times. I doubt that any one of us could say that we agreed with all of his decisions and approved of all of his policies. But the fact is that the US economy was very good through the 80s. The cold war came to a rather abrupt end. So, his administration wasn't without positive accomplishments.

It was obvious that Reagan cared deeply about the country and his fellow citizens.

The same can't be said for the the current crop of clowns.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:51 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,525,552 times
Quote:
Reagan's economic policies were a disaster for working-class Americans. Reagan presided over the worst recession since the 1930s
The recession of the early 1980s was a result of Fed chairman Paul Volcker's aggressive campaign to control the hyperinflation which Reagan inherited from Carter. Volcker raised the fed funds rates, which - expectedly - caused an economic slowdown. But this move also curbed double digit inflation. This laid the groundwork for the economic boom that followed. Reagan's presidency accomplished the following:

1. Real economic growth averaged 3.2 percent during the Reagan years versus 2.8 percent during the Ford-Carter years and 2.1 percent during the Bush-Clinton years.

2. Real median family income grew by $4,000 during the Reagan period after experiencing no growth in the pre-Reagan years; it experienced a loss of almost $1,500 in the post-Reagan years.

3. Interest rates, inflation, and unemployment fell faster under Reagan than they did immediately before or after his presidency.

4. The only economic variable that was worse in the Reagan period than in both the pre- and post-Reagan years was the savings rate, which fell rapidly in the 1980s. The productivity rate was higher in the pre-Reagan years but much lower in the post-Reagan years.

Source: The Cato Institute

Old 01-12-2008, 11:27 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,103,176 times
I liked Reagan, whenever he talked he just made you feel like everything was going to be OK.

But the reason all the GOP's are quoting Reagan and wanting to be like Reagan is simple, he's there last president with an approval rating above single digits.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:40 AM

I'm digging this thread.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
The same can't be said for the the current crop of clowns.
I know you're on the other side of the state, but what do they say about Ron Paul down there?

Old 01-12-2008, 12:25 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,445,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
I know you're on the other side of the state, but what do they say about Ron Paul down there?
Other side of the state? I'm in W Texas, and your location is N Carolina.

Anyway, I've talked to a few folks who support Ron Paul. Moslty, they like the fact that he's an antiwar Republican. They seldom want to discuss his rather weird stance on other issues, like his opposition to public schools, or his opposition to public highways. I like him and I think he spices up a pretty boring Republican line-up. But I could never vote for him, personally.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Other side of the state? I'm in W Texas, and your location is N Carolina.

Anyway, I've talked to a few folks who support Ron Paul. Moslty, they like the fact that he's an antiwar Republican. They seldom want to discuss his rather weird stance on other issues, like his opposition to public schools, or his opposition to public highways. I like him and I think he spices up a pretty boring Republican line-up. But I could never vote for him, personally.
Other side of the state from him.

He's not opposed to public schools. He wants to repeal No Child Left Behind and let the states handle education. The interstate system should be covered by the Feds if for nothing else, national defense/security. That was why it was created. Like Hitler's autobahn.

Anyway, had not talked to a Texan about Paul. Just curious.Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections