Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 03:37 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
His looks aren't nearly as bad as his stances.
Hopefully it isn't as wide a stance as Larry Craig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Sadly, Fred Thompson shares a commonality with John McCain...age...both are to old...We need them 20 years younger...If either would somehow be elected...we would need to look at the VP choice very closely...sorry, and I like them both...
I prefer the wisdom that age usually brings, although there are certainly exceptions to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Folksy and slow is nice - if you're selling pot roast at Cracker Barrel by the side of the highway when going to Dollywood.

Folksy and slow is a death sentence for someone in the white house in this world we live in.

I make great sense too. Most of us do if we don't have our head up our butts on single issue politics.
Ask Jimmy Carter how "folksy" worked for him.

Are there times when a single issue of the times is enough to help decide ones choice. I have to think that the war in Iraq would be a big enough single issue for many people this election regardless of which side of the war they are on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 07:37 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,840,120 times
Echo factor here I'm sure....but here goes. The reason why no one has talked about him is because there's been nothing to talk about. He's nowhere to be seen. His heart isn't in it, obviously and I predict he'll pull out after the first round of primaries.

Old 11-25-2007, 07:56 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALteacher View Post
Echo factor here I'm sure....but here goes. The reason why no one has talked about him is because there's been nothing to talk about. He's nowhere to be seen. His heart isn't in it, obviously and I predict he'll pull out after the first round of primaries.
I have had this hunch he will pull out if things didn't pick up soon. Held as the great white hope, he failed to wake up from his nap.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:26 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersitter View Post
His stances on what? Care to elaborate or should we just be alarmed from that statement and cross him off our list?

Fred Thompson on the Issues

I've been looking for a few minutes and still am looking for a vote I agree with.

I can't vote for someone with such a complete lack of moral values. Apparently his idea of morals is 180 degrees away from mine.

Old 11-26-2007, 09:32 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Default I'm Voting For Thompson

I'm voting for Thompson.

Mike Huckabee sounds and looks like a nice guy but I don't like his record and glibness isn't a qualification for President.

Rudy Giuliani, I like as a leader, but he'll break my heart just like George Bush by being too liberal once he gets into office. Also, I don't trust Rudy to know what's right for the whole country. NYC or any big city is not the be-all, end-all. If he could just translate how he thinks what he did for NYC would work well for the rest of the country (suburbia, rural areas), I might listen, but he doesn't even seem to bother. It's part of that Big City hubris. This is me, like it or lump it. I'm from NY originally so I know that attitude.

Mitt Romney, I just don't like, period. I have zero trust that he will actually do the things he says he will do. Just say "no" to flip floppers. Also, he's way too slick and throwing his wealth around feels like he's trying to buy the White House.

John McCain is one of the reasons why Congress has a low approval rating. It's not just bad Democrats. I certainly don't want anyone from the current crop in the House and Senate, so out of touch with the American people, to be running the country. When I think of John McCain, I think of him whispering in Ted Kennedy's ear. UGH!

I'd vote for Duncan Hunter if I thought he could win. I don't know why his candidacy has been so under the radar screen.

Ron Paul is not on the same planet as me. But, I still don't like how the media has marginalized him...except for Tucker Carlson. There should be more coverage of his grassroots support and why it exists but since he doesn't fit the media's idea of a Presidential candidate they made a decision to omit reporting on his campaign. Ron Paul is the perfect example of media types deciding ahead of time to kill his candidacy by not covering him.

Tom Tancredo I'm glad has had the guts to talk about illegal immigration before the Johnny Come Lately types figured out it wasn't just some talk radio thing that had people up in arms. But the reality is Tom Tancredo can't win with a too focussed one issue campaign so I salute him but can't vote for him for President.

So, I'm voting for Fred Thompson and his record. He's actually got some specific ideas on immigration and taxes and besides National Security, those two are in my Top 3. Besides, I'm one of the people who doesn't like how the media has pooh-poohed him and they have. Just because he hasn't run the kind of campaigned that they clamor for is just them talking junk and more of that NYC/DC mentality. I noticed the current tactic is for them just to not talk about him at all. And yes, that includes Fox News. I hope in The TV News Media versus Fred Thompson, Thompson sticks it to all of them.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:25 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
i disagree on romney. i would like someone with actual business experience to take over running the business of the country. we need to get financially back on track again.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:27 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm voting for Thompson.

Mike Huckabee sounds and looks like a nice guy but I don't like his record and glibness isn't a qualification for President.

Rudy Giuliani, I like as a leader, but he'll break my heart just like George Bush by being too liberal once he gets into office. Also, I don't trust Rudy to know what's right for the whole country. NYC or any big city is not the be-all, end-all. If he could just translate how he thinks what he did for NYC would work well for the rest of the country (suburbia, rural areas), I might listen, but he doesn't even seem to bother. It's part of that Big City hubris. This is me, like it or lump it. I'm from NY originally so I know that attitude.

Mitt Romney, I just don't like, period. I have zero trust that he will actually do the things he says he will do. Just say "no" to flip floppers. Also, he's way too slick and throwing his wealth around feels like he's trying to buy the White House.

John McCain is one of the reasons why Congress has a low approval rating. It's not just bad Democrats. I certainly don't want anyone from the current crop in the House and Senate, so out of touch with the American people, to be running the country. When I think of John McCain, I think of him whispering in Ted Kennedy's ear. UGH!

I'd vote for Duncan Hunter if I thought he could win. I don't know why his candidacy has been so under the radar screen.

Ron Paul is not on the same planet as me. But, I still don't like how the media has marginalized him...except for Tucker Carlson. There should be more coverage of his grassroots support and why it exists but since he doesn't fit the media's idea of a Presidential candidate they made a decision to omit reporting on his campaign. Ron Paul is the perfect example of media types deciding ahead of time to kill his candidacy by not covering him.

Tom Tancredo I'm glad has had the guts to talk about illegal immigration before the Johnny Come Lately types figured out it wasn't just some talk radio thing that had people up in arms. But the reality is Tom Tancredo can't win with a too focussed one issue campaign so I salute him but can't vote for him for President.

So, I'm voting for Fred Thompson and his record. He's actually got some specific ideas on immigration and taxes and besides National Security, those two are in my Top 3. Besides, I'm one of the people who doesn't like how the media has pooh-poohed him and they have. Just because he hasn't run the kind of campaigned that they clamor for is just them talking junk and more of that NYC/DC mentality. I noticed the current tactic is for them just to not talk about him at all. And yes, that includes Fox News. I hope in The TV News Media versus Fred Thompson, Thompson sticks it to all of them.
Thank you, LauraC! Are you sure we aren't twins? I couldn't have said it better myself

Old 11-27-2007, 07:30 PM

323 posts, read 742,175 times
She always says what we mean. Great thoughts, info and post.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:59 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,089,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I suspect he is very intelligent but you wouldn't know it just from the answers he's given to questions when there was national exposure. Perhaps poorly advised by his campaign manager or friends he kept providing non-answers to any questions thrown his direction the past few months. That was interesting at first, but now it is out of place and annoying.

A turn-off for me initially was also his lack of political record. There's plenty of candidates right now that have experience working in politics. A person would have to have tremendous charisma and grasp of what was going on as a political outsider to convince me they could be a good US president. With him providing non-answers to all questions makes me doubt the latter.

Overall I am really underwhelmed by Fred's performance right now. That could change inthe future, but for this snapshot in time he just seems like a typical uber-confident actor aligned with a political party who started to believe what others were telling him. Others who lavished him with praise or complements just to encourage him to raise more money or act as a spokesperson for the Republican party.
He is very intelligent, and looks presidential as CNN stated. He has a long and good record in government and he is older. Why would one need more charisma, he has enough of that and humor....the problem with people is their choosing for looks and charisma more than ideas and what really counts. He said he is 'layed-back'.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:48 PM

323 posts, read 742,175 times
I like Fred. I was very disappointed with the debate. When a You Tuber asked for the response of all candidates. He was not given the floor on about a 3rd or more of the questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections