Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:33 AM

5,408 posts, read 7,769,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
This bothered me about him until I read up on it a bit. He is very much in support of clamping down at the border and dealing with the several million illegals already here. He's just not for punishing the children who weren't involved in the decision making process of coming here illegally, and supports giving them a chance, if earned, for higher education. He does not support FAVORING them over other candidates.

How evil! How outrageous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 11:00 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,737,926 times
There is a favoritism... how about all the students who DO WELL and come from LEGAL citizens... they get shafted whereas children from ILLEGALS get a special discount... I don't think so... favoring children of illegals over its own citizens at the SAME academic performance, no matter how he tries to spin it.

Old 12-01-2007, 11:45 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,586,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
There is a favoritism... how about all the students who DO WELL and come from LEGAL citizens... they get shafted whereas children from ILLEGALS get a special discount... I don't think so... favoring children of illegals over its own citizens at the SAME academic performance, no matter how he tries to spin it.

They wouldn't be getting special discounts. They would simply qualify for the same discounts as everyone else, based on economic standards. As far as special discounts, I would have qualified for assistance due to the amount of native american blood in me I "could be" considered a minority. But I paid as I went by working full time and going to school part time.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:57 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,643,046 times
I went to Huckabee's website and got the following immigration information:

Securing our borders must be our top priority and has reached the level of a national emergency.
The Governor supports the $3 billion the Senate has voted for border security. This money will train and deploy 23,000 more agents, add four drone planes, build 700 miles of fence and 300 miles of vehicle barriers, and put up 105 radar and camera towers. This money will turn “catch and release” into “catch and detain” of those entering illegally, and crack down on those who overstay their visas.
In this age of terror, immigration is not only an economic issue, but also a national security issue. Those caught trying to enter illegally must be detained, processed, and deported.
The Governor opposes and will never allow amnesty. He opposed the amnesty President Bush and Senator McCain tried to ram through Congress this summer, and opposed the misnamed DREAM Act, which would have put us on the slippery slope to amnesty for all.
The Governor opposes and will not tolerate sanctuaries for illegals. The federal government must crack down on rogue cities that willfully undermine our economy and national security.
The Governor opposes giving driver’s licenses to illegals and supports legislation to prevent states from doing so.
The Governor will stop punishing cities which try to enforce our laws and protect the economic well-being, physical safety, and quality of life of their citizens.
The Governor opposes and will not tolerate employers who hire illegals. They must be punished with fines and penalties so large that they will see it is not worth the risk.
The Governor opposes the economic integration of North America that would create open borders among the United States, Canada, and Mexico. He will never yield one iota or one inch of our sovereignty.
The Governor will take our country back for those who belong here. No open borders, no amnesty, no sanctuary, no false Social Security numbers, no driver’s licenses for illegals.

Sounds good folks!!! But you know what, in this day and age, I dont' know if anyone can be trusted. After all, wasn't Huckabee at a LULAC convention recently?

Old 12-01-2007, 01:58 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,737,926 times
That is sort of like a "sanctuary" city... we don't like illegals but we will give subsidies to your kids if you come here... its a slippery slope that goes on for miles... next we be saying not only should we take care of the children but lets also take care of the illegal parents because "its important take care of the "caretakers" of the kids who we support with subsidies"... I think not, it may morally right but ethically the state ONLY has responsibility for its legal citizens... What about all the international students who are paying higher tuition costs? Is that fair to them? Why don't they just turn around and say... Oh, I have no VISA here, give me illegal immigrant status tuition please... Its not fair to those who have to pay out-of-state tuition, which by the way includes me... I paid 5X as much as an in-state persons pay... even though I am legal citizen... I rather say I am an illegal, give me illegal tuition status.. it would of saved me 120k (and that's a low estimate)...

Last edited by evilnewbie; 12-01-2007 at 02:06 PM..

Old 12-01-2007, 02:14 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,500,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
I believe Gov. Huckabee has limitations on allowing these students to get college scholarships. They must academically perform well throughout their high school years like any other student. I think this is being blown way out of proportion. He basically is saying that students who work hard in school should have a chance for higher education. What is wrong with that? If these students are assimilating into our culture, whats the problem? By the way, I somewhat agree with his stance on not punishing the children who have been brought up here in the US. Their parents are the ones who should suffer for coming here illegally.
What is wrong with that? What's the problem? Their here ILLEGALLY!

Old 12-01-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
That is sort of like a "sanctuary" city... we don't like illegals but we will give subsidies to your kids if you come here... its a slippery slope that goes on for miles... next we be saying not only should we take care of the children but lets also take care of the illegal parents because "its important take care of the "caretakers" of the kids who we support with subsidies"... I think not, it may morally right but ethically the state ONLY has responsibility for its legal citizens... What about all the international students who are paying higher tuition costs? Is that fair to them? Why don't they just turn around and say... Oh, I have no VISA here, give me illegal immigrant status tuition please... Its not fair to those who have to pay out-of-state tuition, which by the way includes me... I paid 5X as much as an in-state persons pay... even though I am legal citizen... I rather say I am an illegal, give me illegal tuition status.. it would of saved me 120k (and that's a low estimate)...
You said it. I think Huckabee is following his "moral minister" side on this not the legal standpoint which is what the government is supposed to follow. Futhermore, those that think he is tough on illegals follow his past. He is flip flopping on the issue. He apparently tried to give illegals driver licenses in AR too which didn't fly. He is not conservative on illegal immigration.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
As opposed to Flip Romney, who would rather have those illegals working on his lawn.
I am not a strong supporter of Romney but let me clear something up on this matter because it's getting tiring. He contracted with a legal US citizen for yard work. That person had illegals working for them. How would Romney have known that? Was Romney supposed to be racist and as soon as he saw they were Hispanic asked to see their papers? I think not. It was the employers responsibility to ensure his employees were legal citizens not Mr. Romneys. Had he questioned the workers you would've been calling him a bigot.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Better to keep them out of school. Then they can resort to crime and not learn english and we can all complain about them in the immigration forum.
Better to send them and their parents back to their homeland where they can wait inline behind those LEGALLY trying to enter the US. It's not the legal citizens of the US responsibility to pay tax dollars to subsidize illegal people in this country. Believe it or not we do have laws.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
This bothered me about him until I read up on it a bit. He is very much in support of clamping down at the border and dealing with the several million illegals already here. He's just not for punishing the children who weren't involved in the decision making process of coming here illegally, and supports giving them a chance, if earned, for higher education. He does not support FAVORING them over other candidates.
Well actually he would be FAVORING them over legal US citizens. For example say my son lives in Texas but wants to go to school in Colorado. He will have to pay out of state tuition to go to school there. Whereas an illegal student in Colorado who's a legal citizen of another country, not the US, may attend school in Colorado for in state tuition rates. I'd say that is favoring them plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections