Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:36 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,717,860 times

Advertisements

My impressions were as follows... and for those that haven't read any of my posts, I'm a Dr. Paul supporter, so excuse my bias.

Romney: He played the role of a politician very well... he didn't answer some of the questions and tip toed around some issues. He came off as that likeable Presidential person that Americans love to grab on to. But in the end I had a feeling he was lying because his lips were moving

Giuliani: He did a pretty terrible job tonight. His non answers were a little more evident than Romney's.

Tancredo: He didn't get much time, but what he had was presented well. I don't agree with all of his positions, but he came off as honest and upfront.

Hunter: Again, he didn't get much time, but his answers seemed genuine.

McCain: John came off as very abrasive tonight. He felt like he had to prove something with his argument with Dr. Paul on Iraq. His position on gays in the military was disappointing... but on the upside he was noticibly upset at the notion of us torturing prisioners of war.

Huckabee: He definitely got more support out of this debate... but he was given more time than I would have expected. He came off as America's Pastor.

Thompson: I would say he performed the worst out of the bunch. He seemed to stumble over his words and seemed ill prepared. His attack commercial was disappointing and really set the stage for the negative campaigns to commence. But when he said that the first issue a new president should address is abortion, I almost lost my dinner. With the issues plaguing this country today, abortion should be our main concern?

Paul: As usual, Ron Paul's message is strong to those who listen, but he could do a much better job delivering it. I loved his response to McCain by saying that he by far has the strongest monetary support of our troops... it was a good zinger. I just wish he could articulate his stance a bit better since the public loves to latch on to a smooth talker rather than a straight talker.

Other:

The "What would Jesus do?" question was great... too bad nobody answered it. I hate the fact that people reward a non-answer from Huckabee that Jesus would be smart enough not to run for office. That's irrelevant... you could always answer that you don't know, or Jesus wouldn't kill someone, but you're flawed and don't know how to forgive someone, or some other BS answer. But making a joke isn't the right answer, imho.

With regards to the gay general, the boos were disgusting. And I fail to see how it would even matter if it was a "plant" from the Clinton campaign. A question is a question... why should any of the candidates not answer a simple question?

The other disturbing thing was whenever someone made a snide remark about Clinton everyone had to break out into a fit of laughter. It was like watching 4 year olds get hysterical because someone said poopoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 11:40 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,717,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Who cares that the General was a Hillary plant? He asked a good question and put to SHAME every single person on that stage, IMO. Especially Romney who flip flopped on the answer enough to make my head spin. If Ron Paul or Huckabee put a plant who asked a good, reasonable question in the Democratic debate, I'd applaud that too.

I'm no fan of Hillary, but it's just ridiculous that a very good question is being discredited.

I still do not understand why people support Ron Paul. I can understand Huckabee (although I disagree almost 100%), I can understand Giuliani and Romney. I just can't understand why there's all the support for Ron Paul. He comes off just as crazy as Kucinich.
So I agree with you about who cares, but as to why people support Ron Paul, it's fairly simple. He actually has a consistent voting record, is actually honest, believes in actually following the Constitution, and wants to pull out of Iraq immediately. Now in a nation where 70% of the people don't support the war, how is it unbelievable that people support one of the only candidates that wants to end the war?

Old 11-29-2007, 12:53 AM

36,660 posts, read 67,557,504 times
Like the Dems, I was royally unimpressed.

2008 is proving to be another "lesser of 2 evils" vote.

Old 11-29-2007, 03:21 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,959,483 times
I watched it.. I'm now watching Anderson Cooper try to tear all the republicans apart... as he does his blow by blow after show.

I gained new support for McCain and Hunter.. Lost it for Rudy. Never had it for the rest.

Now I need to do more research on Hunter and McCain... as I am sure one of them is out next President.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:30 AM

10,029 posts, read 15,679,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
I am hearing that the general that gave that question was a plant from the Hillary campaign.
In addition to the general, there are were at least 3 other plants in the audience, 2 from Edwards and 1 from the Obama campaign.

Michelle Malkin » Digging out more CNN/YouTube plants: Abortion questioner is declared Edwards supporter (and a slobbering Anderson Cooper fan); Log Cabin Republican questioner is declared Obama supporter; lead toy questioner is a prominent union act

How did CNN expect that they were going to be able to get away with this?

Old 11-29-2007, 05:36 AM

396 posts, read 1,435,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
How did CNN expect that they were going to be able to get away with this?
Because CNN is arrogant.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:19 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,796,722 times
Like the other poster said, who cares! I love it. Let Democrats and Republicans plant their spies in each other's debates and ask some tough questions instead of the same garbage they blabber in every other debate...lots of sizzle and no steak.

As far as the death penalty question, I think that is one of those they like to revert back to the Old Tetament for and go pre-Jesus for spiritual guidance.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:56 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,197,413 times
To be honest, if these people in the audience were planted there by anyones campaign, I am with a few others and say so what. I do have a bit of difficulty with this as it has no possible gain, a question is a question, no matter how concise or meaningless. The penalty for getting caught is severe towards ones credibility and the gain you would get from this is, well, nothing really. I don't get it. I don't doubt the lengths that media will go to in order to make this more entertainment, but other than making it all controversial and it becoming the topic of news, why.

News flash: News agency creates a news story, gets caught making news at the new story, story at 11.... Brittney, please pick up the while phone.

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 11-29-2007 at 10:18 AM..

Old 11-29-2007, 09:37 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,446,906 times
twojciac - "What would Jesus do?" question was great... too bad nobody answered it"

Too bad you didn't listen. Gov. Huckabee answered the question, from the position of someone who has actually executed criminals. The 'Jesus wouldn't run' comment helped move on. I'm certain that Huckabee, as a Baptist minister, could've talked for hours on 'WWJD'.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:39 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,446,906 times
bily4 - Jesus recognized the separation of church and state (that which is Caesar's)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections