Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 10:38 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times

Advertisements

Ron Paul and Huckabee were great. I'd say that Huckabee had a bit more composure while giving some of his answers but Ron Paul's ideas and track record combined make him a bit more formidable. After last night's debate I wouldn't be unhappy with either of them.

What I really enjoyed about this debate was seeing Romney and Guiliani show their true colors. Both will say whaever is necessary to get votes (not say what they actually think) and I believe that came across with some of their answers. Their credibility has thus been hurt, which is about time in my opinion as it has been abundantly clear to me for quite a while that they don't represent what I want in a president.

I also felt that McCain's reaction to Romney pretty much killed Romney's credibility (regarding the torture question)... it also showed McCain in new light to me... a tough guy who is also pretty quick. It was a surprise to see him turn a complement by Romney into a ridicule of Romney - smart move but surprising. Romney sure seemed surprised as well.

What I didn't like included the following:

1) the panel of 12 rating line that scrolled across the screen for most of the debate. There was hardly significant movement, and when there was it certainly didn't add value from my perspective. I don't care what their panel though.. I care what I think. I think fundamentally it might have been an attempt to persuade people to change their minds on particular candidates more than a value add by CNN.

2) questions on abortion and on don't ask don't tell just wasted time. Those should not be top issues debated on TV. I understand people wanted to point out some of Guiliani's unique views with those questions but I hardly consider those worth casting a vote on for president. Women should have the right to choose, it's obvious (also it should not be paid for by any government program). Dr.'s who perform 3rd trimester abortions when alternatives exist should be punished... that's obvious too (thanks to Ron Paul though for stating that and reminding everyone of his MD credentials). The whole gays in the military thing is blown out of proportion. The only point which isn't ridiculous is that if truly 2 people are discharged each day (per the former general) just because they "come out" - then we have a problem. A big problem because the military needs more people right now.

3) I thought the question about the bars & stars flag was uncalled for. Why was that question given air time? It is such a small percentage of dare I say Rednecks in this country who proudly display such a thing that appealing to their vote with an answer to that question was bizarre. No it's not a southern-heritage thing... it's an ignorant thing. I did enjoy the answers to that question though... each candidate who responded responded well to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 11:13 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
What I really enjoyed about this debate was seeing Romney and Guiliani show their true colors. Both will say whaever is necessary to get votes (not say what they actually think) and I believe that came across with some of their answers. Their credibility has thus been hurt, which is about time in my opinion as it has been abundantly clear to me for quite a while that they don't represent what I want in a president.

I also felt that McCain's reaction to Romney pretty much killed Romney's credibility (regarding the torture question)... it also showed McCain in new light to me... a tough guy who is also pretty quick. It was a surprise to see him turn a complement by Romney into a ridicule of Romney - smart move but surprising. Romney sure seemed surprised as well.

What I didn't like included the following:
They definitely could have did without several questions and I agree were far more fluff than substantive. I also noted there was not a single question about Bush or health care. Now while I can understand why no one would want to mention Bush as this point, but outside of the current front runners parting company on immigration, they are all in lock step with the White House. Something that I am surprised the Democrats don't make mention of or play on.

Health care is right up there with immigration this election and there wasn't a single mention of it, not a peep. grrrr

Excellent summary mbuszu

Old 11-29-2007, 11:26 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,840,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
Oh yeah, CNN also sucks for having someone in their 'GOP uncommitted voter' panel who was a Sen. Edwards supporter.
Are you surprised?

Old 11-29-2007, 11:29 AM

Also, did anyone else notice front runners responses during the question about abortion. They were all Ron Paul answers nearly verbatim from previous debates. Tancredo and even Huckabee have used Ron Paul answers concerning the Constitution and in the case of immigration, Huckabee had it wrote in the palm of his hand.

Odd that while the media dismisses Paul, they will praise other candidates for using his answers... go figure.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:46 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,631,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Also, did anyone else notice front runners responses during the question about abortion. They were all Ron Paul answers nearly verbatim from previous debates. Tancredo and even Huckabee have used Ron Paul answers concerning the Constitution and in the case of immigration, Huckabee had it wrote in the palm of his hand.

Odd that while the media dismisses Paul, they will praise other candidates for using his answers... go figure.
I think the way the media is handling Ron Paul only adds to the intensity of his support. The millions who support him are backing him BECAUSE of the fact that our country has been bought out by corporate and political elitist. When his supporters talk to people who are not into politics much, its not hard to show why they should consider Ron Paul. I've talked to no less than a dozen people who now support Ron Paul and keep wondering why they don't hear more about him. I have to keep explaining that the media is dead set on trying to discredit him.

Its actually amusing that BOTH the liberals and the neocons are fighting his popularity with smear tactics. CNN is clearly in on the act too, but they are just following their orders from the puppetmasters.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:55 AM

97 posts, read 369,889 times
i dont know why people are so gaga over ron paul on this forum- ramney is the guy i feel is the most dynamic of the lot, he also is someone who i think will handle illegal immigration very very strongly

Old 11-29-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viraj View Post
i dont know why people are so gaga over ron paul on this forum- ramney is the guy i feel is the most dynamic of the lot, he also is someone who i think will handle illegal immigration very very strongly
Well if you have not figure out why so many people go "gaga" over Ron Paul with all the posts so far, I don't think further explanation will help. Whether you support him or not, there has been ample explanation as to his pros and cons on this forum, I hope you take the time to enjoy reading them.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:07 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
I dont know much about Huckabee but I saw something in the news the other day that said he was against our addiction on Saudi oil and that gave me a plus in his column, I really dont know where he stands as far as giving the wealthy more money(which is the only things Republicans are concerned with) but maybe he might be a decent selection based on other things, anyone care to say what this guys stands on other issues?
You won't have any money if Huckabee has his way with giving illegals entitlements. It's my main thing against the man.

He said he wouldn't punish illegal alien children, so he'd give them in state tuition. I guess he'd rather punish legal taxpayers like me and my children by forcing us to pay for illegals. They aren't here legally! Why on earth would we give them in state tuition or anything else for that matter? The question was why don't we give children of the military in state tuition if they want to go to college in another state like he's proposed for illegals. He never answered that. Instead he made it all about not punishing the poor illegal alien children. Give me a break. He will not get my vote. If we don't do something about border security and illegals all the other questions like the economy, don't ask don't tell, flags and abortion will not be of any concern. We will crumble and there will be nothing left of this country. How about setting priorities before there's nothing left of this nation.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:13 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,000,340 times
Mitt Romney is a malfunctioning campaign cyborg with blue hair and dyed eyebrows. Giuliani came off as a ****, "he ran a sanctuary mansion, he had illegals in his house people, ILLEGAL MEXICANS people," uurghh. I like John McCain except for when he talks about the Iraq war.

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 11-29-2007 at 01:34 PM.. Reason: language

Old 11-29-2007, 01:25 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
I'm still blown away that 2 liberals are leading the conservative race in most polls.

I thought Hilary would be horrible for America, and still do, but not sure it would be much different to have Romney or Guliani in office. The differences are so minor between them.
Leaves me cringing thinking that one could be our nomination, other one the vp nomination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections