Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2007, 04:17 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,181,392 times

Advertisements

His hometown newspaper had this to say:

"In almost every appearance as he campaigns for the Republican presidential nomination, Rudolph W. Giuliani cites a fusillade of statistics and facts to make his arguments about his successes in running New York City and the merits of his views.

Discussing his crime-fighting success as mayor, Mr. Giuliani told a television interviewer that New York was “the only city in America that has reduced crime every single year since 1994.” In New Hampshire this week, he told a public forum that when he became mayor in 1994, New York “had been averaging like 1,800, 1,900 murders for almost 30 years.” When a recent Republican debate turned to the question of fiscal responsibility, he boasted that “under me, spending went down by 7 percent.”

All of these statements are incomplete, exaggerated or just plain wrong. And while, to be sure, all candidates use misleading statistics from time to time, Mr. Giuliani has made statistics a central part of his candidacy as he campaigns on his record.

For instance, another major American city claims to have reduced crime every year since 1994: Chicago. New York averaged 1,514 murders a year during the three decades before Mr. Giuliani took office; it did not record more than 1,800 homicides until 1980. And Mr. Giuliani’s own memoir states that spending grew an average of 3.7 percent for most of his tenure; an aide said Mr. Giuliani had meant to say that he had proposed a 7 percent reduction in per capita spending during his time as mayor.

New York Times, 11/30/07

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/30/us...s/30truth.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2007, 04:45 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
Yes, I read the article.

As a former New Yorker (born by the way) but now gone, I have no intention of voting for the former Mayor. Not a bad guy, but certainly not the man I want in the White House.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:48 PM

640 posts, read 461,315 times
I think Rudy was, indeed, a good mayor. New York is a HUGE city and was a cesspool pre-1994. Rudy did a fabulous job of bringing it around to it's current standing ~ no doubt. BUT, he is sure full of personal drama; most recently these expenditures for his security while he was seeing his then-mistress / now-wife Judith. I'm still undecided over him and leaning more towards Mike Huckabee.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:49 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
His hometown newspaper had this to say:

"In almost every appearance as he campaigns for the Republican presidential nomination, Rudolph W. Giuliani cites a fusillade of statistics and facts to make his arguments about his successes in running New York City and the merits of his views.

Discussing his crime-fighting success as mayor, Mr. Giuliani told a television interviewer that New York was “the only city in America that has reduced crime every single year since 1994.” In New Hampshire this week, he told a public forum that when he became mayor in 1994, New York “had been averaging like 1,800, 1,900 murders for almost 30 years.” When a recent Republican debate turned to the question of fiscal responsibility, he boasted that “under me, spending went down by 7 percent.”

All of these statements are incomplete, exaggerated or just plain wrong. And while, to be sure, all candidates use misleading statistics from time to time, Mr. Giuliani has made statistics a central part of his candidacy as he campaigns on his record.

For instance, another major American city claims to have reduced crime every year since 1994: Chicago. New York averaged 1,514 murders a year during the three decades before Mr. Giuliani took office; it did not record more than 1,800 homicides until 1980. And Mr. Giuliani’s own memoir states that spending grew an average of 3.7 percent for most of his tenure; an aide said Mr. Giuliani had meant to say that he had proposed a 7 percent reduction in per capita spending during his time as mayor.

New York Times, 11/30/07

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/30/us...s/30truth.html
Not sure about spending, but crime went down in NY substantially after he was running it.. (not giving him credit for it because they still continue to fall today, even after he's no longer in charge).

I tried to copy/paste some facts but it didnt paste nicely so New York Crime Rates 1960 - 2006 shows some statistics, but none of them show that he's "lying" in regards to crime and in fact it shows that he has not broadcasted enough the fall of crime in NYC.

Example, vehicle theft has fallen 75%
Burglary 50%
etc

Last edited by pghquest; 12-02-2007 at 04:59 PM..

Old 12-02-2007, 05:08 PM

640 posts, read 461,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Not sure about spending, but crime went down in NY substantially after he was running it.. (not giving him credit for it because they still continue to fall today, even after he's no longer in charge).
Perhaps it is because he put the model in place to fight crime and it continues to be in place today.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:53 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
Perhaps it is because he put the model in place to fight crime and it continues to be in place today.
Could be.. not a known fact to me one way or another and I only try to argue with facts known..

Old 12-02-2007, 07:08 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
There are all kinds of ways to keep down crime. Here's a good example of how it is still done in NYC:

village voice > news > Runnin' Scared: A Bronx Man Fights the NYPD's Apartheid-Like Trespassing Crackdown by M. Chris Fabricant

Old 12-02-2007, 08:18 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,362 times
I thought it was interesting in a New York City poll earlier this year, people chose Bloomberg over Guliani by a wide margin regarding whom they thought would make a better President.

City voters overwhelmingly chose Mayor Mike over America's Mayor as their pick for President, 46% to 29%.

And with all the firefighters and 9/11 site workers claiming Guliani is not the hero he likes to portray himself to be during those days, along with his flopping on positions (and wives)...it seems he is one of those politicians that will do/say anything to get elected.

Daily News poll shows overwhelming support for billionaire

Old 12-02-2007, 08:24 PM

383 posts, read 722,584 times
how many wives has rudy cheated on?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections