Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 01:11 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,841,882 times

Advertisements

just so people understand what im saying. im saying powell runs as a democrat vs clinton in the dem primary, not as a republican vs clinton in the general.

powell also just made some news the other day saying how parts of the gop do not like minorities so he has the same viewpoint on the gop as he's had for the past 2 election cycles as a white male dominated party that frowns on minorities, which is true by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 02:58 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,486,623 times
Indeed he was part of the cabal responsible for the Iraq fiasco but he`s the only one so far to show remorse. I could vote for him.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:17 AM

993 posts, read 1,562,750 times
What is with people pulling these fantasy-picks for 2016? Powell has no interest in running for president. Even if he did, he wouldn't run as a Democrat. And even if he ran as a Republican, he wouldn't make it past the primaries.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,875,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
I think he made the shift towards the dems these past 2 election cycles and is someone who would pull many independents over. My only worry with him would be the far left vote, but I think he would have a chance vs Clinton.
He is still a registered Republican, just because he endorsed Obama doesn't mean he is a Democrat, I wonder why you think so. Why he endorsed Obama is anyone's guess. His wife hate politics, he could have run and probably stood a good chance of winning in 2000 or even 2008. Add to all this, for heaven's sake, he will be 77 years old in less than 2 months which would put him at 80 when he took office. I guess that pretty much gives you the answer...

Old 02-08-2014, 10:51 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,752,604 times
I doubt if Obama was white Colin Powel would have supported him.

Race trumps everything for most blacks.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:36 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,408,289 times
Colin Powell doesn't even have the guts to stand up to his own party. Health problems prevent him from joining the fray.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:53 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,064,332 times
Quote:
I think he made the shift towards the dems these past 2 election cycles and is someone who would pull many independents over. My only worry with him would be the far left vote, but I think he would have a chance vs Clinton.
No, he wouldn't win the primary because Democrats already have their 1st black president. Maybe if he was gay... They have to find someone they can pat themselves on the back for.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:16 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,384,118 times
Quote:
just so people understand what im saying. im saying powell runs as a democrat vs clinton in the dem primary, not as a republican vs clinton in the general.

powell also just made some news the other day saying how parts of the gop do not like minorities so he has the same viewpoint on the gop as he's had for the past 2 election cycles as a white male dominated party that frowns on minorities, which is true by the way.
I read Powell's book and continue to admire and respect him, or at least what he used to be, but those comments were really execrable. Powell said that are "certain elements" of the GOP that were racist, without specifying what those elements were. Name names, Powell. If there are racist Republicans out there, I want to know who they are so that I can donate to their primary opponent and get them out of there.

This kind of vague, broad-brush accusation is demagoguery. In fact it's exactly what used to be used by groups like the KKK to incite the mob against blacks, and to maintain segregation. You don't get to the levels that Powell reached without being a great infighter and master of verbal jiu jitsu, so I believe that Powell knows exactly what he's doing here.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:36 PM

22,210 posts, read 19,497,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
I doubt if Obama was white Colin Powel would have supported him.

Race trumps everything for most blacks.
Which explains why Michael Steele, Lynn Swann and Ken Blackwell did so well among blacks when they ran against white male opponents, oh wait.....

Powell is a moderate and generally has always been, his endorsement likely had more to o with how far right the GOP was going than anything else.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:39 PM

22,210 posts, read 19,497,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
He is still a registered Republican, just because he endorsed Obama doesn't mean he is a Democrat, I wonder why you think so. Why he endorsed Obama is anyone's guess. His wife hate politics, he could have run and probably stood a good chance of winning in 2000 or even 2008. Add to all this, for heaven's sake, he will be 77 years old in less than 2 months which would put him at 80 when he took office. I guess that pretty much gives you the answer...
I do agree his age at this point clearly works against him. I do think he could have won in 2000 if he ran, but 2008 no way. His association with the Bush administration and the war in Iraq would have made him unelectable in 2008.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections