Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 08:18 PM

Location: I live in Ronan, MT but am stationed in Virginia Beach
290 posts, read 690,454 times

Advertisements

Chris Van Landingham
LewRockwell.com
Saturday December 1, 2007

At the recent CNN/YouTube Republican debate, a question was asked of the candidates: Would
Jesus use the death penalty? Mike Huckabee cleverly dodged the question by stating that Jesus
is not a politician. After all Huckabee, who does support the death penalty, is a Baptist minister
who ceaselessly touts his devotion to Jesus’ teachings. Yet any Christian who has bothered to
read any of Jesus’ word would realize that Jesus would not support the death penalty. I am sure
we are all glad, as Huckabee pointed out, that Jesus is not a politician because chicken-hawks,
such as Huckabee, probably would not vote for him.

To prove this point I decided to check my Bible for Jesus’ views on war, and aggression. Everyone
knows what I found, so I will not bore readers with passages of scripture proving unequivocally
that Jesus was against aggressive warfare and very pro-peace. Clearly he would be a cut-and-run
candidate unworthy of any of the neocon Republican establishment’s support.

However, I found something else that was very interesting. It was in the Apostle Paul’s second letter
to the Corinthians from the New Living Translation. Paul wrote that "We are human, but we don’t
wage war as humans do. We use God’s mighty weapons, not worldly weapons, to knock down the
strongholds of human reasoning and to destroy false arguments." 2 Cor.10:3–4.

Does this sound like something Huckabee would endorse? Does it sound like something any of the
Republican candidates would endorse? The only one I can think of is a man also named Paul. Ron
Paul. Here are some quotes from Ron Paul.
"Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms."
"Logic tells us that we can make a better world in a much easier way than causing wars."
"We need to talk to people, trade with people, not go to war with them."
We should take the advice of both Pauls when dealing with foreign policy. We should set a good
example at home, and spread our ideals of freedom through peaceful means, not bombs falling from
the sky. None of the other Republican candidates endorse this view. Even Huckabee who, like
President Bush, wears his faith on his sleeve to make sure everyone knows that he is a Christian.

The Apostle Paul mentioned this type of men in his letter as well. He wrote "Oh don’t worry; we
wouldn’t dare say that we are as wonderful as these other men who tell you how important they
are! But they are only comparing themselves with each other, using themselves as the standard
measurement. How ignorant!" 2 Cor. 10:12.

At the debate Huckabee stated that the Bible was the living Word of God. Maybe its time he re-read
God’s Word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 09:04 PM

206 posts, read 615,652 times
when do you have time to sever your country when your on here all day lol

post # 102 lmao

just kidding

Old 12-01-2007, 09:18 PM

It's my only hobbie at the moment, kind of stuck in a new area without transportaion, I
am used to living out in montana but now I'm trying to fit in around VA Beach.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:29 AM

206 posts, read 615,652 times
Talking VA beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRead View Post
It's my only hobbie at the moment, kind of stuck in a new area without transportaion, I
am used to living out in montana but now I'm trying to fit in around VA Beach.

when my husband was in the navy during the frist IRAQ WAR he was station in va beach and loved it

Old 12-02-2007, 07:39 AM

Thats nice to hear, but I'd like to keep this thread on subject. So What do you think everyone is Paul the best choice based upon the religious aspect? Please read first post.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:35 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times
I doubt that any candidate would advocate the position of the character Jesus of the Bible concerning national defense. "Turn the other cheek" is not a practical foreign policy nor a practical legal system. Depending on God's wrath, Karma, or some other mysticism to punish wrongdoers is naive and irresponsible.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:07 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielRead View Post
Thats nice to hear, but I'd like to keep this thread on subject. So What do you think everyone is Paul the best choice based upon the religious aspect? Please read first post.
I would much rather base my choice on the candidate's voting record than what any candidate says or their professed religious beliefs. Never consider anything any politician says, consider instead only how they vote. In that regard, I do not consider Ron Paul to be a good choice.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:24 AM

39 posts, read 343,367 times
IM not trying to change the subject but did you guys know Jesus's real name is YAHUSHUA and the churches have been keeping this secret. Just like his real birthday and I'm sure you know thats not what he really looks like in those pics.

Old 12-03-2007, 04:17 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,696,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPD77 View Post
IM not trying to change the subject but did you guys know Jesus's real name is YAHUSHUA and the churches have been keeping this secret. Just like his real birthday and I'm sure you know thats not what he really looks like in those pics.
You say these things as if they're facts. It's fine to use this character as a guide for one's life, but to use the same mystical legend as a guide for others' lives through legislation and government policies is wrong.

Last edited by Amaznjohn; 12-03-2007 at 04:44 AM..

Old 12-03-2007, 09:52 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,717,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
You say these things as if they're facts. It's fine to use this character as a guide for one's life, but to use the same mystical legend as a guide for others' lives through legislation and government policies is wrong.
Is it possible to separate one's religious beliefs from one's morals? From my perspective, our religion has shaped our morals as a nation, even if some individuals do not share that religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections