Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 05:16 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times

Advertisements

I think it's sad that most of the GOP sheep in this country believe every word of what he said was true ... ugh ... we are the most ignorant country in the world when it comes to historical fact.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:16 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing12 View Post
I disagreee, Romney was the candidate I feared the most, he caters to the wealthy(the most important people in America) he brainwashed the Christians

I was hoping he stayed in the back but now it appears to be he is in the front

I thought America would never vote Bush again in 04, I was wrong

I do predict Romney will be the next president in 08
i hope your prediction is right.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:25 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I have mixed feelings about that. Obviously, religious prejudice is no way to choose one's political leaders. Certainly Romney and his father were outstandingly successful governors.

But there is something odd about a person who would actively put his faith in a belief system with so many obvious theological anomalies.

I would feel much more comfortable about Romney if he had discussed his faith in depth at the beginning of his campaign for President, rather than now when he appears to be in trouble.

As it is, he's going to have do some very frank and effective explaining to gain my trust, and I suspect, that of most Americans.
he certainly has not been in trouble in florida! all religions have theological anomalies, so are all religious people odd in your view? i don't want to pick a religious leader, but i want a president who has a value system based on something, and faith is certainly a strong foundation. i was moved by his speech and i am not a church-going person.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:16 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,999,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
How dare you compare JFK with Mitt Fraudney. Jack Kennedy and Flip-Flop Romney should never even be mentioned or uttered in the same sentence. Ever.

you got that right.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:43 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VC dreamer View Post
A presidental candidate's religion should be an issue. It shows where his beliefs are.
You may only be looking for a leader of this country, but does it not seem reasonable to think that at times, the leader of this country may need a spiritual leader? Would you want that leader to have vastly different beliefs than you?
If I had to base my vote on a similar religion, I wouldn't be able to vote at all! I do not want the leader of my country to be so uncomfortable with his own spirituality that he has to wear his religion on his sleeve.

Romney just keeps digging himself in a hole. I watched the speech in a common room at my college (full of very religious Jews mind you) who all thought it was despicable. The way he phrased it, it made it seem even more like atheists, agnostics, and others who do not believe in a higher power have no purpose in this country and that religion holds a jeopardy on morals. All Romney was doing was pandering to the religious right and that is no way to get a rational person's vote.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:18 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I do not want the leader of my country to be so uncomfortable with his own spirituality that he has to wear his religion on his sleeve.

I watched the speech in a common room at my college (full of very religious Jews mind you) who all thought it was despicable.

. . . . and that religion holds a jeopardy on morals.
What? How is he "uncomfortable with his own spirituality." ???

Why did they think it "despicable."

And I don't understand you statment,"religion holds a jeopardy on morals."

Old 12-07-2007, 06:23 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I think it's sad that most of the GOP sheep in this country believe every word of what he said was true ...
May I ask how you know this?

Old 12-07-2007, 06:33 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
If I had to base my vote on a similar religion, I wouldn't be able to vote at all! I do not want the leader of my country to be so uncomfortable with his own spirituality that he has to wear his religion on his sleeve.

Romney just keeps digging himself in a hole. I watched the speech in a common room at my college (full of very religious Jews mind you) who all thought it was despicable. The way he phrased it, it made it seem even more like atheists, agnostics, and others who do not believe in a higher power have no purpose in this country and that religion holds a jeopardy on morals. All Romney was doing was pandering to the religious right and that is no way to get a rational person's vote.
You got that right!! He has opened himself up to a whole can of doo with that speech. I wish someone would ask him:

-when did In God we Trust and One Nation Under God appear on our money and in our pledge?

-Is Jesus coming to America or Israel?

-Is your guidebook in your spiritual life the Bible or the Book of Mormon?

The first question, I'm very interested in hearing his answer because according to his speech, he'll get the answer wrong.

The 2nd and third answers will scare the bejeebies out of the crazy evangelicals and he'll be toast. And he knows it. He's gotta skim the surface of what his belief system says in order to stay in the race at this point.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:43 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
May I ask how you know this?
And the same can be said for the sheep that follow the democrats, and HillBilly, and the celebrities that those on the left give so much credence to.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:45 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
Interesting take on the Kennedys. Wonder if any of this posthumous conjecture is on record anywhere and if it has any relevance at all to this subject: Romney?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
I thought his speech was one of the most patriotic wordings in years...and at the end of it all, he reminded me of George Bush...Not bad at all!

Carville will pull out the stops for this guy...more polarization in America...
Commies against the Capitalists...Rebels against the Yanks...we've been there before...over a hundred years ago...

I also would not compare JFK to ANYBODY...his father kept a house in Chicago during the depression to watch over their illegal whiskey importation business from Canada. (My Great-Aunt claimed to be their housekeeper at that time) JFK's people were high class bootleggers...and Chicago was owned by the Capone mob.
Eleanor Roosevelt refused to endorse JFK because Joe Kennedy forgot to include Franklin in the customs duties (profits).
Joe also bought the vote in West Virginia with cash.. He told JFK not to spend a penny more than he had too....1.5 million did the job and the rest is history.
I wouldn't compare JFK to anybody but himself...or possiblly his feeble minded brother....a bigger waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections