U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 03:38 PM

7,731 posts, read 12,619,429 times

Advertisements

ksl.com - Romney to Give Speech on his Mormon Faith

Quote:
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) -- Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney's campaign says he will give a speech this week explaining his Mormon faith.

The decision was made after months of debate at his Boston headquarters over whether to make a public address about his religion. It also comes as the former Massachusetts governor's bid is threatened in Iowa by underdog Mike Huckabee, a one-time Southern Baptist minister. Huckabee has rallied influential Christian conservatives to erase Romney's months-long lead and turn the race into a dead-heat.

Romney will deliver a speech called "Faith in America" at the George Bush Presidential Library in College Station, Texas, on Thursday.
Rate this post positively

Old 12-02-2007, 04:53 PM

640 posts, read 394,827 times
It will have to be a pretty darn good speech! Conservative Christians are really, really liking Huckabee more and more each day. He has never hid his Baptist faith. In fact, just the opposite. He's running on it and proud of it. AND he's running #1 in Iowa right now....

Old 12-02-2007, 05:52 PM

11,126 posts, read 13,204,492 times
And the topic is... Romney to Give Speech on his Mormon Faith

Old 12-02-2007, 06:14 PM

20,194 posts, read 21,665,540 times
I don't understand why he is speaking out about his faith. What does that have to do with anything exactly? Maybe to create more publicity buzz for his campaign because if it doesn't make headlines, nobody cares? I am sure Hilliary is going to keep publicizing the standoff at her campaign office for a while... lucky I have a remote control... click!

Old 12-02-2007, 06:17 PM

7,731 posts, read 12,619,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I don't understand why he is speaking out about his faith. What does that have to do with anything exactly? Maybe to create more publicity buzz for his campaign because if it doesn't make headlines, nobody cares? I am sure Hilliary is going to keep publicizing the standoff at her campaign office for a while... lucky I have a remote control... click!
He is speaking about his faith because that is what the public wants to hear and that is what President Kennedy did when he was trying to become the first Roman Catholic president.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:21 PM

20,194 posts, read 21,665,540 times
I don't remember reading that the public want to hear it? Where does it say that exactly? We know he is a Mormon... are we looking for an explanation of what a Mormon is? It seems its an easy question to answer without needing public media to explain it...

Old 12-02-2007, 06:26 PM

394 posts, read 225,015 times
Romney, another millionare who has never done real work in his life who is looking out for other millionares/billionares who have never done real work in their life is going to push his religious agenda to brainwash the masses, havent we seen this before?

One would think after 7 years of what we have now people would be smart enough, but I have a sad feeling we could see Romney as President in 08

Old 12-02-2007, 06:26 PM

10,193 posts, read 25,618,860 times
I did read a rather extensive article in Newsweek, especially lengthy for a magazine of this kind about Romney and his reluctance to speak about his faith was a central theme. In fact, as you say, cottonwood2420, the article raised the issue that Kennedy's disclosure about his Catholic faith helped him rather than harmed.

People appear to misunderstand or not understand Mormanism at all, and it does seem to interfere with seeing Romney the candidate.

I'll be interested to hear how the former Gov. talks about his faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
He is speaking about his faith because that is what the public wants to hear and that is what President Kennedy did when he was trying to become the first Roman Catholic president.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:04 PM

479 posts, read 1,362,102 times
He may want to clarify what he really believes because the evangelical Christians are a big part of the Republican voters. His answer on the CNN debate about the Bible was convoluted. Mike Huckabee has it over Romney by leaps and bounds when it comes to this particular voting group.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:55 PM

4,708 posts, read 7,977,320 times
He wants to explain how a smart, rich guy like him actually believes in the religion of the golden plates and magic spectacles (Joseph Smith, Jr.). It is actually embarassing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.