Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 07:21 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times

Advertisements

The Wisconsin Voter ID law has been blocked by the US Supreme Court from going into affect.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/10/us...-law.html?_r=0

This shouldn't surprise anyone. If I wanted a Voter ID law in my state, I'd go about it differently that the GOP has in Wisconsin, Texas, and other states. First, I'd round up actual proof (and I don't mean one or two solitary cases) that voter fraud was occurring under existing laws that don't require ID to cast a ballot. The GOP dominated legislatures that have enacted these laws don't have this proof simply because there is no significant voter fraud occurring.

The problem with requiring official ID from every voter is that getting this ID (a drivers license) is harder for some groups than anyone imagines. I am white and upper middle class. Yet, the gyrations I have been forced to go through in my state to obtain a passport and driver's license would make a teetotaler want to drink. Obtaining a driver's license in my state requires a birth certificate, social security card, and either a passport or other official ID. If one misplaces a social security card that was mailed to them years ago by the Social Security Administration than one must apply for a duplicate. Just going to most Social Security Offices requires a wait of about an hour. You'd better show up with all the ID they need to process your application too.

Don't have gas for your car? Don't have bus fare? Your screwed. Miss one piece of required ID to obtain a duplicate social security card? You've made the trip in vain. Its not a big deal for me because I work across the street from the federal building. However, if I lived in the poor section of town, getting to the office might be very difficult. How many people can give up an hour or two from work to go apply in person for a duplicate social security card?

Whether its the intention of the legislature or not, these laws reduce the votes of the poor, the handicapped, and those legal citizens that have trouble with the language. This isn't right unless one believes that all these people--who are citizens--shouldn't be voting in the first place.

Please, no one give me a big speech about all the illegal aliens that are allegedly voting and committing fraud. Unless you can present some evidence beyond your own opinion, its really pretty irrelevant. It isn't enough that someone could take advantage of the law, its a question of showing actual proof that its occurring.

Hooray for our Supreme Court. They seem to recognize that ALL citizens have a right to vote.

Last edited by markg91359; 10-10-2014 at 07:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 07:46 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
The Wisconsin Voter ID law has been blocked by the US Supreme Court from going into affect.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/10/us...-law.html?_r=0

This shouldn't surprise anyone. If I wanted a Voter ID law in my state, I'd go about it differently that the GOP has in Wisconsin, Texas, and other states. First, I'd round up actual proof (and I don't mean one or two solitary cases) that voter fraud was occurring under existing laws that don't require ID to cast a ballot. The GOP dominated legislatures that have enacted these laws don't have this proof simply because there is no significant voter fraud occurring.

The problem with requiring official ID from every voter is that getting this ID (a drivers license) is harder for some groups than anyone imagines. I am white and upper middle class. Yet, the gyrations I have been forced to go through in my state to obtain a passport and driver's license would make a teetotaler want to drink. Obtaining a driver's license in my state requires a birth certificate, social security card, and either a passport or other official ID. If one misplaces a social security card that was mailed to them years ago by the Social Security Administration than one must apply for a duplicate. Just going to most Social Security Offices requires a wait of about an hour. You'd better show up with all the ID they need to process your application too.

Don't have gas for your car? Don't have bus fare? Your screwed. Miss one piece of required ID to obtain a duplicate social security card? You've made the trip in vain. Its not a big deal for me because I work across the street from the federal building. However, if I lived in the poor section of town, getting to the office might be very difficult. How many people can give up an hour or two from work to go apply in person for a duplicate social security card?

Whether its the intention of the legislature or not, these laws reduce the votes of the poor, the handicapped, and those legal citizens that have trouble with the language. This isn't right unless one believes that all these people--who are citizens--shouldn't be voting in the first place.

Please, no one give me a big speech about all the illegal aliens that are allegedly voting and committing fraud. Unless you can present some evidence beyond your own opinion, its really pretty irrelevant. It isn't enough that someone could take advantage of the law, its a question of showing actual proof that its occurring.

Hooray for our Supreme Court. They seem to recognize that ALL citizens have a right to vote.
No one is saying that anyone is being denied the right to vote. Your premise that people who don't have an ID for example, DL or the old and poor is not accurate. Most states provide State ID cards for free.
If you have to apply for help from the state, welfare, that office requires some sort of ID to get benefits and they will provide a ID card .

This Thread and other like it have the same theme to vote without some sort of ID at your favorite Voting Station.

Photo ID from other varies sources will do, Military ID, Passport.

The Photo ID is the last step in the process to verify who are. Its not only step in which people get confused with. But it is the last with your Voter Card, Issued by the Board of Elections, and your ID. I have voted for years ever since I was Old enough to, and most people do show their DL or ID because they want to.

I frankly do not see one more step when most people are willing to prove their identity.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:06 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,054,963 times
Quote:
Obtaining a driver's license in my state requires a birth certificate, social security card, and either a passport or other official ID. If one misplaces a social security card that was mailed to them years ago by the Social Security Administration than one must apply for a duplicate.

I admit, it is a pain to dig out the birth cert or request a copy from your state of birth (I don't mind this though if it helps reduce fraudulent voting)... but who DOES NOT keep their SS card in a place they will remember? LOL

Maybe there should be a life organizational test as requirement for voting as well. Sheesh.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:10 AM

1,718 posts, read 1,054,963 times
Quote:

Key word... "citizen".

What kind of citizen has no legitimate state ID.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:14 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,812,997 times
This is just a load of the bull's caca. I've carried the same SS card in my possession since 1965. And I've carried it in a wallet that rests in a pocket on the same hip. Oh yeah, and that driver's license since 1962. Never had a problem with obtaining or renewal. And the passport is more a federal issue.

If you need help then contact ACORN (by any name). It's their goal to ensure a citizen can vote. Or heck, if you're in Texas then contact Battleground Texas. It's their goal to get Texas turned blue. Make it easy on yourself, start with reality.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:33 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,015,211 times
Quote:

The problem with requiring official ID from every voter is that getting this ID (a drivers license) is harder for some groups than anyone imagines.

Whether its the intention of the legislature or not, these laws reduce the votes of the poor, the handicapped, and those legal citizens that have trouble with the language.
No. They are recognizing it as a "poll tax".

You can get a photo ID without it being a drivers license. And if concerned about a "poll tax" make it free. And I'm not buying this discrimination with blacks or Hispanics. If you want to be part of the system, get your act together.

You need an ID for everything in this day and age. If you can not complete that simple task, maybe you have no business voting in the first place. No excuses with buses blah blah blah. All this energy spent trying to overturn voter ID laws, you could be doing voter ID registration drives, similar to a book mobile.

Most of these poor minorities have no problem filling out the paperwork (or having someone help them) to get medicaid or welfare or food stamps or S.S. But to get an ID to vote....oh no.

The ones I feel sorry for the most are the homeless. Not only do they probably not get to vote, the ones they would be voting for, don't give a **** about them. With a lot of homeless being vets, I think the ones running for office should take care of them, before going off on another Presidential war. 12 percent of our vets are homeless. That is 12 percent too many. And guess what, even the homeless vet can obtain proof of who he is. It comes from the government.

Old 10-10-2014, 02:29 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Default Trey Gowdy Flashback Obliterates Federal Court Rulings That Voter IDs in Wisconsin & Texas ‘Racist’

Trey Gowdy Flashback Obliterates Federal Court Rulings That Voter IDs in Wisconsin & Texas ‘Racist’

Trey gives them hell.

Old 10-12-2014, 11:23 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,179,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temp43k View Post
This is just a load of the bull's caca. I've carried the same SS card in my possession since 1965. And I've carried it in a wallet that rests in a pocket on the same hip.
I haven't seen my social security card in 40 years. It is not ID.

What's real about all this is that conservative Republican governors conspired to find a way to lower the number of votes of the poor and minority group members. This is NOT about the right people voting because voter ID only involves voter identity fraud (instead of something like multiple voting) and in most cases the governors could not demonstrate that there was a problem in this area. So it is a solution without a problem.

It would be much better for conservatives to try to get more votes by showing people how their views are better. Instead, they try to suppress votes, which is un-American.

MLK was a strong proponent of voter registration drives and the removal of voting restrictions. Those people killed in the "Mississippi Burning" case were out of state workers involved in voter registration. So, the TX Republican legislature recently passed a law which required that voter registration workers must be state residents! The courts struck this law down.

However, wait until January when all those Republican governors (including TX governor Rick Perry), in sheer hypocrisy, state how much they honor the memory of Dr. Martin Luther King!

Old 10-13-2014, 06:09 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
Actually, I had to go to the expense of getting a certified copy of my birth certificate in a distant state to claim ss a couple of years ago. That certified copy was also necessary to get a passport. So, the 'poor and disadvantaged' argument is just an excuse.

If dems and progressives were really that concerned, then they would expend as much energy in 'helping' the poor and disadvantaged get the required ID, as they do in the many 'voter registration' campaigns, in which thousands of people who know nothing of the candidates, nor issues register to and vote for the 'right' candidate. Wonder who informs them, then transports them to the polling station to vote for the right candidate?

A patrician attitude if ever I have seen one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Minded View Post
I admit, it is a pain to dig out the birth cert or request a copy from your state of birth (I don't mind this though if it helps reduce fraudulent voting)... but who DOES NOT keep their SS card in a place they will remember? LOL

Maybe there should be a life organizational test as requirement for voting as well. Sheesh.

Last edited by earthlyfather; 10-13-2014 at 06:25 AM..

Old 10-13-2014, 08:25 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,058 times
Voter fraud isn't a real thing?

Imagine a liquor store owner who never checks anyone's ID. Seeing that this provides incentives to buy liquor illegally, one is tempted to ask the liquor store owner if anyone ever takes advantage of this. The owner says "why, I've never caught anyone buying liquor underage! I can't point to a single example of that happening, so it must not be a problem"

Because someone will point it out, obviously voting is a fundamental right and liquor is not, but that fact is completely irrelevant to the point. The liquor store owner didn't think anyone purchased liquor underage since he never saw anyone's ID! How would he know? The point is, if you do nothing to detect voter fraud, then obviously you will not turn up any examples of voter fraud!

Last edited by tmsterp; 10-13-2014 at 08:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections