Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 09:46 AM

1,074 posts, read 949,843 times

Advertisements

Do you think voting should be a right or a privilege? Some people say so, especially my college professor says that "young people and other groups should not be allowed to vote". He likes that statement, but anyway, do you think voting should be a right or a privilege?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 01:55 PM

512 posts, read 1,018,590 times
Its a right.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:05 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
Do you think voting should be a right or a privilege? Some people say so, especially my college professor says that "young people and other groups should not be allowed to vote". He likes that statement, but anyway, do you think voting should be a right or a privilege?
So "young people" should be eligible to be drafted to fight and die for their country at their country's whim and will, but they should have no voice in who should lead the country and potentially put thier lives on the line? And who are these "other groups" he speaks of? The poor? Minorities? People who don't own land? People whose politics he disagrees with?

It's a right. And your professor sounds pretty brainless.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
So "young people" should be eligible to be drafted to fight and die for their country at their country's whim and will, but they should have no voice in who should lead the country and potentially put thier lives on the line? And who are these "other groups" he speaks of? The poor? Minorities? People who don't own land? People whose politics he disagrees with?

It's a right. And your professor sounds pretty brainless.
since when have we had the draft?

Now, I agree it is a right but it is also a privilege. it is a privilege not everyone in other countries have and not enough people take the time to vote. They would rather just ***** about what is happening in our country without taking responsibility for anything. I would not call his professor brainless, he is giving an opinion on how he feels, we all have them you know. I do not agree with him, but this doesn't mean he is brainless.

Old 07-21-2014, 02:22 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
since when have we had the draft?

Now, I agree it is a right but it is also a privilege. it is a privilege not everyone in other countries have and not enough people take the time to vote. They would rather just ***** about what is happening in our country without taking responsibility for anything.
I said young people are eligible to be drafted, and so they are. Just because we haven't had a draft in a long time doesn't mean it's not possible. Every young man still has to register with the Selective Service when they turn 18, don't they? Why do you think that is?

Old 07-21-2014, 03:12 PM

771 posts, read 1,459,777 times
You can't single out groups of Americans, what would be the criteria for doing so? Should young people stay off the ballots because they are not smart or wise enough? Well, a lot of older people aren't smart or wise, this has nothing to do with age. Should we then give people a test before they vote and you can only vote if you pass it? Who writes it?

Old 07-21-2014, 03:31 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
15th Amendment:

Quote:
The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.
19th Amendment:

Quote:
The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of sex.
24th Amendment

Quote:
The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.
26th Amendment

Quote:
The right of citizens of the United States, who are 18 years of age or older, to vote, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any state on account of age.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:06 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:

Makes no difference what you or I think.

Voting is a right in the USA.

It's a sad statement that one of our major political parties is working fervently to limit that right for minorities and young voters.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:01 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Makes no difference what you or I think.

Voting is a right in the USA.

It's a sad statement that one of our major political parties is working fervently to limit that right for minorities and young voters.

We seem to have a lot of posters concerned with limiting other peoples right to vote. There's not much point on debating who should vote, or for that matter, to complain about children of aliens born in this country having citizenship automatically, since those type of changes would require Constitutional amendments. Fat chance.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:07 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Voting *is* a right.

If your prof wishes it were otherwise, why doesn't he start or join a limit-the-franchise organization, and see how far he gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections