Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 11:51 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,362,441 times

Advertisements

I've seen several "why do blacks vote democrat" threads. Anyway,people generally know that many blacks vote democrat because many black voters believe that government should play a larger role in various things. Republicans are for smaller gov't. So there's a conflict with black voters right there. So if republicans are really interested in getting black votes then they will have to go into black communities and explain to blacks how smaller government will be beneficial to them.

So can someone explain how blacks would benefit from smaller government instead of the larger government that the democrats tend to advocate for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 10:56 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
School choice/vouchers is generally a Republican-favored idea. It is adamantly opposed by Democrats and their benefactors the teachers' unions.

It also tends to be an idea that is supported by black voters, according to polling.
Southern Black Voters Overwhelmingly Favor School Choice, Poll Finds | Heartlander Magazine

Black talk host Ken Hamblin used to play a little mind game where he imagined himself as KKK for a day. What's the single most effective way to destroy the black community, he would ask. And the answer, he said, was that he could not think of anything more effective than what the public education system has done to us.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:30 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,362,441 times
What did the public education system do to blacks?

I don't think the educational system is necessarily the problem. Inner city educational systems are receiving problematic children from problematic homes and communities. Too many children of teen parents and high unemployment communities and all that comes with those things.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:37 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I've seen several "why do blacks vote democrat" threads. Anyway,people generally know that many blacks vote democrat because many black voters believe that government should play a larger role in various things. Republicans are for smaller gov't. So there's a conflict with black voters right there. So if republicans are really interested in getting black votes then they will have to go into black communities and explain to blacks how smaller government will be beneficial to them.

So can someone explain how blacks would benefit from smaller government instead of the larger government that the democrats tend to advocate for?
False Premise.

Republicans favor States rights over the federal government where as Black people support a strong Central Federal government over states rights.

The main reason why is because the oldest living black people all came of age at a time when the state governments wanted to continue jim crow laws where as the federal wanted to end them.

Thats not being for "big" government, that is being for the federal government exercising the very power it is given by the United States Constitution.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What did the public education system do to blacks?

I don't think the educational system is necessarily the problem. Inner city educational systems are receiving problematic children from problematic homes and communities. Too many children of teen parents and high unemployment communities and all that comes with those things.
There are two separate problems here: 1) children coming from dysfunctional homes; 2)quality of public schools. (1) is inherently intractable, but (2) is a matter that we can try to address.

There are some who would not take advantage of better schools no matter what, but there are many who would. Why not at least give them the chance?

School voucher bill back on Meeks agenda in Springfield | catalyst-chicago.org
Obama Wrong on D.C. School Vouchers and Hypocritical, Just Like Congress - US News

Old 10-26-2014, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
There are two separate problems here: 1) children coming from dysfunctional homes; 2)quality of public schools. (1) is inherently intractable, but (2) is a matter that we can try to address.

There are some who would not take advantage of better schools no matter what, but there are many who would. Why not at least give them the chance?

School voucher bill back on Meeks agenda in Springfield | catalyst-chicago.org
Obama Wrong on D.C. School Vouchers and Hypocritical, Just Like Congress - US News
Your link is from 2009, the DC voucher program is back in place and has been for 3 years.

Also, Schools are more the problem than the home.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Your link is from 2009, the DC voucher program is back in place and has been for 3 years.

Also, Schools are more the problem than the home.
Yes I know, but I posted that link because it contained a summation of the case for vouchers. OP was questioning the need for vouchers/school choice.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Yes I know, but I posted that link because it contained a summation of the case for vouchers. OP was questioning the need for vouchers/school choice.
But your argument was Republicans were for it and Democrats were against it. You are wrong.

In the 90's and early 2000's, yes my party was indeed against those things. But not now.

Democrats are simply against using public school money to pay for school vouchers.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
But your argument was Republicans were for it and Democrats were against it. You are wrong.

In the 90's and early 2000's, yes my party was indeed against those things. But not now.

Democrats are simply against using public school money to pay for school vouchers.
I hope and pray that you are right, but I doubt it. Teachers' unions have always opposed vouchers, and they donate big bucks (90 pct+) to Democrats. I think that even most Republicans don't have the stomach to go against the teachers' unions to support vouchers, and I haven't heard of any Democrats other than James Meeks who does.

I hope you are right though. I could even live with a liberal state that permitted school choice; it is that important for me. Other than a few lone voices in the wilderness like James Meeks, I don't see it. The teachers' unions are too powerful.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:58 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,062,579 times
Education trumps all. Just look at the relationship to unemployment and employment recovery to education the last six years. Supporting school choice is paramount to party affiliation and support. Anything else is an oxymoron. The slavish dogma of 'democratic policies' is the very thing that keeps people down, including, but especially p*** poor education in public schools. If it's the schools, and not the communities or family or lack of family - structure, then it is truly blind to follow that party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections