Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 10:54 AM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me what is so different about this guy besides his skin color? He wants to raise taxes on the RICH, Government run healthcare, pull out of Iraq, increase spending, appease hostile nations, sounds like business as usual, just another LIBERAL democrat ready to start handin out the hand outs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2008, 10:55 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
He's different because he says he is. The media agrees with itself.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:59 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Can someone tell me what is so different about this guy besides his skin color? He wants to raise taxes on the RICH, Government run healthcare, pull out of Iraq, increase spending, appease hostile nations, sounds like business as usual, just another LIBERAL democrat ready to start handin out the hand outs!
He is a democrat... isn't that their philosophy? He is sticking true to his party's philosophy, I don't see a problem with that. I am anti-Democrat but at least he is doing what he is suppose to be doing. As for the Republican's most are NOT conservative.. most of them want to INCREASE spending... The only one that wants to cut spending is Ron Paul... do you have any other Republican that actually wants to cut spending?

Old 01-05-2008, 11:00 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,916,948 times
Quote:
government always gives handouts... under bush it has just been tax cuts for the rich and corporate handouts and of course saving the mortgage industry.... saying democrats are the handout party is ridiculous... because last time our budget was balanced was under a democratic presidency.... as for Obama being a liberal... riduculous again.. obama is definetely a moderate democrat....

Old 01-05-2008, 11:05 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
You need to understand that humans do not like change. Oh they say they do, but they dont. They also do not like to think for themselves. Humans like that rutene activity day in and day out and also like to be told what to do.

There are leaders and there are followers in this world. The vast majority of humans are followers.

A lot of people say we need change in this country but if they did then why do they vote for the same ol same ol rutene? Why do I read posts on this very forum that tell us they want some one like Ron Paul but since he does not have a chance then they will instead vote for the likely winner? Why?

What is this a sports competition? Your team sucks so lets all route for the winner instead?

If people really did want change they would vote for it. They dont and we will never get the change. So lets all be happy watching America deteriorate while it's business as usual in the big bad White House.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:14 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,536,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You need to understand that humans do not like change. Oh they say they do, but they dont. They also do not like to think for themselves. Humans like that rutene activity day in and day out and also like to be told what to do.

There are leaders and there are followers in this world. The vast majority of humans are followers.

A lot of people say we need change in this country but if they did then why do they vote for the same ol same ol rutene? Why do I read posts on this very forum that tell us they want some one like Ron Paul but since he does not have a chance then they will instead vote for the likely winner? Why?

What is this a sports competition? Your team sucks so lets all route for the winner instead?

If people really did want change they would vote for it. They dont and we will never get the change. So lets all be happy watching America deteriorate while it's business as usual in the big bad White House.
I think you are giving many voters WAY to much credit. Barrack Obama's platform IS change. Does this mean there will be any? Of course not.

I can guarantee there are a LOT of people out there who don't know anything about Ron Paul, and if they did they would vote for him in a heartbeat. A lot of this falls on the news media (believe it or not there are people without the internet), but a lot falls on lazy voters who actually do think there will be change with Obama. Once again, there won't be.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:37 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
You do understand that, to a lot of voters, this doesn't sound that bad. I mean, you're spinning it in your phrasing, but I don't think this sounds so bad at all.

To a lot of liberal voters (and there are plenty of them, by the way), candidates like Hillary are annoying because they are so centrist. I think a lot of progressive voters dig a candidate who is more liberal and willing to stick to their guns for healthcare, peace, diplomacy, and the social contract. Especially after the last few years. I mean, it's been decades since we've had a truly progressive president. Clinton, they say, was all about foreign meddling, NAFTA, "Don't ask, Don't Tell" and a bunch of other stuff that was hardly liberal. Besides Carter, who couldn't get anything done in Washington after running as the uber-outsider, who was our last liberal president? Johnson?

Old 01-05-2008, 11:38 AM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
No one has given me evidence that he is anything other than a typical democrat.

Old 01-05-2008, 11:42 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
Quote:

Point being is maybe a lot of people don't consider that a bad thing at all... America has had enough of "Compassionate Conservatism".

Old 01-05-2008, 11:42 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
Quote:
That's exactly what he is. The change aspect is Obama vs Bush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections