Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2015, 05:57 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,055,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
He lost because the grassroots abandoned him after his crass remarks that were unbecoming of their principals and he was held accountable.
It wasn't a matter of getting a republican elected. It was about supporting someone with integrity and ethics, that will uphold his oath to the US Constitution.
BentBow, I suggest checking out and understanding what the confirmation bias is. I honestly see a lot in your posts that scream confirmation bias. You believe that "independent conservatives" are important so you blame the losses of those who didn't have the support of them on them and that candidates need to be more conservative. That is the confirmation bias right there. The only true conservative to win the presidency was Ronald Reagan, and he wouldn't be conservative enough anymore. Goldwater who has a lot more in common with your "independent conservatives" and the current candidates than Reagan, lost by nearly 400 electoral votes and about 30 million popular votes. I see a modern conservative not losing by that much but losing by a larger margin than a more moderate or establishment candidate would. As I've said, I see Rand Paul the best choice and CPAC agrees with me as he won their strawpoll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 06:08 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,844,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
BentBow, I suggest checking out and understanding what the confirmation bias is. I honestly see a lot in your posts that scream confirmation bias. You believe that "independent conservatives" are important so you blame the losses of those who didn't have the support of them on them and that candidates need to be more conservative. That is the confirmation bias right there. The only true conservative to win the presidency was Ronald Reagan, and he wouldn't be conservative enough anymore. Goldwater who has a lot more in common with your "independent conservatives" and the current candidates than Reagan, lost by nearly 400 electoral votes and about 30 million popular votes. I see a modern conservative not losing by that much but losing by a larger margin than a more moderate or establishment candidate would. As I've said, I see Rand Paul the best choice and CPAC agrees with me as he won their strawpoll.

Sure, it tells us all, that the GOP better stick a very Conservative person in there with a record of talking the talk and backing it up by walking the walk, or they will not have a chance, with the lack of support needed to win against the Hilary machine.

There is only one guy that has been pulling the trigger on both barrels at the same time and reloading in the blink of the eye, since he hit the ground running, in the Republican party.
All the rest, just talk a good game.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:45 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,055,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Sure, it tells us all, that the GOP better stick a very Conservative person in there with a record of talking the talk and backing it up by walking the walk, or they will not have a chance, with the lack of support needed to win against the Hilary machine.

There is only one guy that has been pulling the trigger on both barrels at the same time and reloading in the blink of the eye, since he hit the ground running, in the Republican party.
All the rest, just talk a good game.
You got nothing out of the confirmation bias did you? I have nothing more to say to you because you won't hear it or don't want to hear it, I can't tell which one.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:27 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,328,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
The Tea Party led directly to the Republicans historic landslide victory in the 2010 midterms and also heavily influenced their historic landslide victory in the 2014 midterms. The GOP has the most seats in Congress it has had in decades and controls more state governorships and legislatures than ever before. I would say the Tea Party has had plenty of traction.
Most members that claim to be in the Tea Party have been pushed out after their 2010 win. The Democrats had more seats to defend in 2014, and it was the more establishment Republicans that were winning those elections, not the Tea Party. As for state governors, there has been more Republican states than Democrat states for a long time, so that doesn't really shock anyone.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:54 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,041,021 times
True, urbanlife78, the true mainstream GOP did a great job beating RWNJ TP's during the 2012 primaries, leaving few of them to be cannon fodder vs the Dems.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:24 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,328,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
True, urbanlife78, the true mainstream GOP did a great job beating RWNJ TP's during the 2012 primaries, leaving few of them to be cannon fodder vs the Dems.
Personally I was hoping for more Tea Bagger candidates in 2014 to help out the Democrats, but I am fine with seeing more moderate Republicans winning. Though unfortunately we still have too much playing party politics going on rather than real working in Congress.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:39 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,237,583 times
The Republicans need the Tea Party votes but that doesn't mean they need to nominate a Tea Partier. They'd get crushed if that was the case.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:48 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,910,498 times
Default The Tea Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
The Republicans need the Tea Party votes but that doesn't mean they need to nominate a Tea Partier. They'd get crushed if that was the case.
Now we getting into the Principals of The Tea Party Movement. Most Conservatives have the same believes and even many so called Moderates.
The Tea Party just like any other Political Force must pick their battles carefully.

I hope we keep on hearing words Like "The Constitution, Limited Gov., Balance Budget Term Limits. This argument, clash of ideals is all about checks and Balances that the US Constitution executes Perfectly!

Old 03-01-2015, 11:34 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,844,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post

More republicans took office from a democrat, than democrats getting a seat back from a republican, in 2012.
A republican majority has been increased every election since 2008, brought us a Democrat supermajority.

Old 03-01-2015, 12:51 PM

63,506 posts, read 29,531,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Now we getting into the Principals of The Tea Party Movement. Most Conservatives have the same believes and even many so called Moderates.
The Tea Party just like any other Political Force must pick their battles carefully.

I hope we keep on hearing words Like "The Constitution, Limited Gov., Balance Budget Term Limits. This argument, clash of ideals is all about checks and Balances that the US Constitution executes Perfectly!
The lefty liberals ignore those values that the Teaparty espouses though that you mentioned. They focus on gay marriage, abortion and all sorts of other social issues that they don't agree with the Teaparty on. IMO, the things you mentioned are much more important to the well being of our country than focusing on gays and abortion. Lefty liberals would rather throw the bath water out with the baby though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections