Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 07:23 PM

29,250 posts, read 22,556,811 times

Advertisements

The Tea Party is a shape shifter. They never seem to know what they believe in from one week to the next.

The real question is if they're going to ever stick around long enough to cause a lasting impact on the Republican party. The fact that half the tea parities are now nothing but Koch tools doesn't help their fuzzy movement any. As soon as the Koch brothers use them up, there's always more fresh faces they can buy. The Kochs want to lever themselves into the heart of American politics, and they have no use for squishy levers. The GOP establishment is where all the strong leverage has proven to be over the past 2 elections. Don't expect them to squander their money, because they won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 07:23 PM

23,855 posts, read 13,861,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It would be next to impossible for a candidate to appeal to several different groups with different ideals and opinions without sacrificing their own principles though. These are the same kinds of politicians that flip flop on the issues after being elected and one or more of those groups ends up being ticked off then.
Depends on the candidates involved. Any candidate that gets elected must appeal to a coalition of enough groups to win at least a plurality of the votes cast. And coalitions will shift depending on the candidate. That's just the way it works - and the way it was always *intended* to work.

Once that candidate gets to congress, s/he must be part of another shifting coalition to either support or oppose a bill.

I don't know why you think that compromise is a dirty word. Getting part of a loaf now is better than kicking your heels, screaming "no!", and not getting anything. Most people learn this by the time they are six or so.

Quote:
Give me an honest candidate that has the courage of their convictions and sticks by them whom I share the same beliefs with and he'll get my vote in a heartbeat.
This makes you special? I mean really, do you think that people who vote differently than you are somehow *not* voting from conviction?

Old 02-24-2015, 07:35 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,910,140 times
Default What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The way I see it, is that the GOP will never win another presidency with the tea party. The tea partiers are too extreme for the average American.
What is interesting about your OP is" Tea Party Is too Extreme?" Why Limited Gov , Balance Budget, Term Limits.
This sings Independent thought process.

Many of these principles however is is basic Conservatism and Tea Party Principles. We will have to see how all of these values play out against a Big. Gov Hillary Clinton.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:52 PM

63,494 posts, read 29,523,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Depends on the candidates involved. Any candidate that gets elected must appeal to a coalition of enough groups to win at least a plurality of the votes cast. And coalitions will shift depending on the candidate. That's just the way it works - and the way it was always *intended* to work.

Once that candidate gets to congress, s/he must be part of another shifting coalition to either support or oppose a bill.

I don't know why you think that compromise is a dirty word. Getting part of a loaf now is better than kicking your heels, screaming "no!", and not getting anything. Most people learn this by the time they are six or so.

This makes you special? I mean really, do you think that people who vote differently than you are somehow *not* voting from conviction?
Maybe you have a reading comprehension problem. I said that compromising on what is best for this country and its citizen is the wrong thing to do. Compromise without harm is quite another thing. Your insinuations that I am a six year hold by holding that view is laughable to say the least. Where did I say I was special? I said I wouldn't vote for anything or anyone that would be harmful to our country and its citizens. That means I am NOT voting simply base on my personal convictions.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:58 PM

63,494 posts, read 29,523,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
The thing is, you don't need a perfect candidate to get the tea party votes, you just need to do better than Romney and Chris Christie. Scott Walker seem to be a candidate who can appeal to both sides. I also think Jeb Bush will be able to get most tea party votes, because he actually have conservative achievements.

No candidates are truly honest, but most candidates do have conservative achievements that will make the tea party trust them. In fact Romney realized he cannot convince voters he is a changed man, so he decided to lie about the fact that he has flip flopped, even though it is all on tape. That makes him look really dishonest.
What are you talking about in regards to Romney? Why would he even have to convince voters that he is a changed man when just what did he supposedly change in the first place? He flop flopped on what? Just what lie did he tell? He's not going to run yet you lefties just can't help demonize him anyway. You act like a bunch of rabid foaming at the mouth desperados.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:03 PM

23,855 posts, read 13,861,728 times
Quote:
Maybe you have a reading comprehension problem. I said that compromising on what is best for this country and its citizen is the wrong thing to do. Compromise without harm is quite another thing. Your insinuations that I am a six year hold by holding that view is laughable to say the least. Where did I say I was special? I said I wouldn't vote for anything or anyone that would be harmful to our country and its citizens. That means I am NOT voting simply base on my personal convictions.
OK, I'll rephrase my question - do you really think that people who vote differently from you are consciously trying to harm this country and/or its citizens? Isn't the issue *exactly* that people have different ideas about what is harmful and what isn't? Why do you think that you (and people who agree with you) are the world's living expert(s) on what is harmful?

Old 02-24-2015, 08:19 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,506,420 times
The Tea Party supporters aren't really so much Independents. A true Independent will vote for either a Republican or Democrat based on who they feel will do the better job, not an R or a D behind their name.

A Republican nominee for President needs the Extreme Right/Tea Party support to win the nomination. However, this does not bode well for winning the actual office of the Presidency. To win the Presidency, you must receive support from the Centrists/Moderates/Independents. Anyone who wants to be elected, or has been elected in the last 30 years or more receives the support from the middle along with their partisans in order to be elected. It's the coalition of a Major Party and Moderates that elects the President. Moderates/Centrists/Independents will NOT support a Tea Party candidate. Too extreme.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:21 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,038,768 times
Correct, EasyBreezy, we're a centrist nation when choosing POTUS.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:29 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,910,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
The Tea Party supporters aren't really so much Independents. A true Independent will vote for either a Republican or Democrat based on who they feel will do the better job, not an R or a D behind their name.

A Republican nominee for President needs the Extreme Right/Tea Party support to win the nomination. However, this does not bode well for winning the actual office of the Presidency. To win the Presidency, you must receive support from the Centrists/Moderates/Independents. Anyone who wants to be elected, or has been elected in the last 30 years or more receives the support from the middle along with their partisans in order to be elected. It's the coalition of a Major Party and Moderates that elects the President. Moderates/Centrists/Independents will NOT support a Tea Party candidate. Too extreme.

The other point is the GOP already has their supporters. the GOP need to attract Dem's and Indep. alike.

Most people support Tea Party Principles and do not even know it. Less Gov, Tax Reform, Term Limits and many other ideals that are base on founding Father Principles.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:45 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,103,021 times
Quote:
What are you talking about in regards to Romney? Why would he even have to convince voters that he is a changed man when just what did he supposedly change in the first place? He flop flopped on what? Just what lie did he tell?
Romney has pretty much flipflopped on every issue since the 1990s. If he hadn't created Romneycare, wasn't pro-choice in 2002 and had some conservative achievements, then he could have claimed he changed his opinions.

But he didn't and instead chose to lie about his past. He claimed he only flip flopped on abortion, but it is pretty clear that he flip flopped on a lot of other issues as well. The fact that he denies obvious facts make him look dishonest.

Some of the things he flip flopped on was Abortion, No-tax pledge, Ronald Reagan, Global Warming, Assult Weapons and Health Care

Quote:
He's not going to run yet you lefties just can't help demonize him anyway. You act like a bunch of rabid foaming at the mouth desperados.
I am no lefty. Many lefties on this forum defend Romney and say he was the best candidate GOP could offer. Meaning, Republicans will lose every presidental election.

I demonize him, because he was a terrible candidate. He was the worst candidate since Bob Dole, and Republicans need to realize that candidates like Mitt Romney always loses elections. Mitt Romney had two devestating problems that made him lose the election by a large margin. Tea party voters did not trust him, and working class voters thought he didn't care about low income americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections