Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 12:20 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Presidential election years and midterm election years are something totally different.

Was it 2 recalls, or just one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 01:00 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,297,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Tell that to Scott Walker, 3 times fast.....
The State where Progressive Politics got its start.....

Scott Walker has never been elected with a Presidential year electorate. In his biggest win (2014) he actually received 3,000 fewer votes than John McCain received in 2008 , when he lost Wisconsin to Barack Obama by about 415,000 votes.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Scott Walker has never been elected with a Presidential year electorate. In his biggest win (2014) he actually received 3,000 fewer votes than John McCain received in 2008 , when he lost Wisconsin to Barack Obama by about 415,000 votes.

Barrack Obama will not be running for a 3rd term.
I don't feel Hilary will be able to pull the young, the woman, or the black vote like Obama did.
Especially the black vote 98% turnout(wow)
Young people are bailing from the Progressive grasp. The masks came off and scared the kids away.
Hilary is her own war on women. She knows how to stand by her man, insulting the intelligence of every American woman.

Now, back on topic....
Any Republican will pull the base no matter who it is. There are only 2, maybe 3 that can get the grassroots going.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Barrack Obama will not be running for a 3rd term.
I don't feel Hilary will be able to pull the young, the woman, or the black vote like Obama did.
Especially the black vote 98% turnout(wow)
Young people are bailing from the Progressive grasp. The masks came off and scared the kids away.
Hilary is her own war on women. She knows how to stand by her man, insulting the intelligence of every American woman.

Now, back on topic....
Any Republican will pull the base no matter who it is. There are only 2, maybe 3 that can get the grassroots going.
I can't see where you get the idea that the balance of power lies with getting far right "Independents" to vote, but to each his own. It would be interesting from a bystander's point of view to see what would happen if you got your wish. I just can't see it working out as a net positive for your side in the states that matter.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I can't see where you get the idea that the balance of power lies with getting far right "Independents" to vote, but to each his own. It would be interesting from a bystander's point of view to see what would happen if you got your wish. I just can't see it working out as a net positive for your side in the states that matter.

Without the grassroots, the Republicans are doomed. You cannot possibly deny that.
Once you accept that little nugget, you might figure out who and what the Tea Party is.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Without the grassroots, the Republicans are doomed. You cannot possibly deny that.
Once you accept that little nugget, you might figure out who and what the Tea Party is.
What I don't buy is that these "grassroots" conservatives are refusing to vote now because the Republican nominee isn't pure enough. I think that the vast majority of them have been voting, but there just aren't enough of them to win in Presidential years, especially in the purple states. You don't just vote because you love your guy. You vote because you despise the other guy. I think you're like a cat chasing his own tail.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:39 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Don't forget that Wisconsin political dynamics are a bit different. There really isn't a lot of crossover voter groups. Democrats have the big blocs in Milwaukee and Madison, and the Republicans tend to do well in the rural areas and especially the collar counties around MKE, which is Walker's real base.

Walker has won not by appealing to crossover voters but by turning out his base in great numbers in the WOW counties, and often by appealing with hard-right rhetoric, often using right-wing talk radio hosts as his surrogates (Charlie Sykes and Mark Belling). This is because metro Milwaukee is incredibly divided racially, economically and politically with little middle ground. So this has shaped his political approach.

Walker's take-no-prisoners stance may play well in the primaries, particularly Iowa, which is whiter and more evangelical than the even the GOP electorate as a whole, but is not conductive in a national race.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:40 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
So what did the Tea Party do wrong in 2012? They seemed to fail the Republican party then.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:42 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,110,162 times
Quote:
I don't understand his theory at all.

Now, if we had national popular vote instead of the Electoral College I could understand it ... but as things currently stand the only chance we (the GOP) have at winning to is win the more moderate leaning swing states that have large numbers of votes in the Electoral College - which we are not going to do with far right extremists.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I don't understand his theory at all.

Now, if we had national popular vote instead of the Electoral College I could understand it ... but as things currently stand the only chance we (the GOP) have at winning to is win the more moderate leaning swing states that have large numbers of votes in the Electoral College - which we are not going to do with far right extremists.
That's my whole point. In a popular vote election, it makes sense. In the Electoral College, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections