Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 02:01 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,321,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
That's my whole point. In a popular vote election, it makes sense. In the Electoral College, not so much.
Exactly, nobody cares if more people in a few right winger states show up to vote if their states have a low electoral vote number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 02:15 PM

11,986 posts, read 5,335,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Exactly, nobody cares if more people in a few right winger states show up to vote if their states have a low electoral vote number.
It's not so much the electoral vote of a red state, but with the electoral college system, you get the same number of electoral vote, whether you get 61% of the vote of Texas with say a Bush, or 64% with a Cruz. It doesn't matter. If they can fare better than an establishment type in a purple or blue state, that would be a big deal, but there's little to support that claim.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:17 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,833,371 times
Quote:
So what did the Tea Party do wrong in 2012? They seemed to fail the Republican party then.

Well, We gave you Ted Cruz to deal with, over the big government progressive GOP establishment guy. A GOP establishment guy that would have gladly worked with you as long as his pockets were stuffed.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
It's not so much the electoral vote of a red state, but with the electoral college system, you get the same number of electoral vote, whether you get 61% of the with with say a Bush, or 64% with a Cruz.

With Rand even higher.... He is pulling the ladies, and the young vote, all while trying to get the blacks out of jail for free card, with his war on the war on drugs.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:26 PM

11,986 posts, read 5,335,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
With Rand even higher.... He is pulling the ladies, and the young vote, all while trying to get the blacks out of jail for free card, with his war on the war on drugs.
Again, it's about winning new states. Will a Rand or a Cruz bring more non-voting Conservatives to the polls in Purple States than he loses in moderate voters? Rand would be an interesting choice, I grant you that, but he isn't polling better than Bush or Walker in most of the purple states. Ted Cruz is about dead last in every poll I've seen.

Old 03-12-2015, 02:28 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,321,818 times
Quote:
Well, We gave you Ted Cruz to deal with, over the big government progressive GOP establishment guy. A GOP establishment guy that would have gladly worked with you as long as his pockets were stuffed.
Yeah, Ted Cruz winning a state election in a right wing state isn't much of a shocker. That still doesn't change the fact that it doesn't mean anything when it comes to the electoral vote.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:18 PM

38,926 posts, read 24,043,702 times
Quote:
Medical power of attorney gives all the power of a married couple, next of kin relationship. Including visitation. I just went through this with my familyless elderly neighbor and good friend. I have medical power of attorney and I am the executor of her will when she dies.
What relationship do you have with the patient... I have medical power of attorney. I didn't even have to show my documents I had with me.
The person in control of my life or death, better be able to see me to make an informed decision.

Single people are allowed to adopt in Texas(it is all about income and living arrangements). You don't even need to be married.
You dodged part of the claim though. Medical power of attorney still don't allow joint-filing. If your state don't allow civil unions or common law for homosexuals, it's still not giving them rights. As more and more of the electorate becomes sympathetic to gay issues, why is it so hard for conservatives to not just give up the ghost and treat them as equals. Being equal in America dates back further than the United States Constitution, even the Articles of Confederation, it goes back to the Declaration of Independence.
Quote:
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
Do you really want to go against the document that founded the US just because it goes against your personal or religious beliefs?

Old 03-12-2015, 04:38 PM

38,926 posts, read 24,043,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Presidential election years and midterm election years are something totally different.
That they are. The electorate is more red by track record these years. Add into the six-year itch and you have more issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
The problem is not the tea party itself but the "teavangelicals" who have hijacked the tea party and infused it with a theocratic agenda. These people are proponents of small government in the board room but want the biggest government possible in the bedroom. Republicans will never win another national election until they stop fighting the culture wars.
If you are talking about the federal level, they deflect it by often saying it is a states rights issue and the states should decide rather than an outright against gay marriage or abortions. If you are on the state level, there is really no way to deflect it being big government.

Quote:
Without the grassroots, the Republicans are doomed. You cannot possibly deny that.
Once you accept that little nugget, you might figure out who and what the Tea Party is.
I am willing to accept the nugget if there is proof. Bush was NOT a TEA Party favorite. To them and your "independent conservatives," Bush was a RINO in particularly with pushing for the war on terror and also his stance on No Child Left Behind. Guess what, out of the last few Republican candidates, Bush's 2004 campaign generated the most votes, 62 million. Romney had a few hundred thousand over McCain. If Bush was truly a conservative, you may have a point. He wasn't though.

I ask of you to show work with this claim.

Quote:
What I don't buy is that these "grassroots" conservatives are refusing to vote now because the Republican nominee isn't pure enough. I think that the vast majority of them have been voting, but there just aren't enough of them to win in Presidential years, especially in the purple states. You don't just vote because you love your guy. You vote because you despise the other guy. I think you're like a cat chasing his own tail.
I think the issue is the state you live in. If I don't vote in Arizona or New York (the two states I've lived in to vote,) they would be Red for Arizona and Blue for New York electorally anyway. BentBow lives in Texas, unless you have a Texan Democrat nominee for president, I doubt it will be going Blue for a while so his abstain vote doesn't hurt the Republican. An Ohio conservative that abstains, that hurts much more as their vote can make the difference with how close Ohio races do go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I don't understand his theory at all.

Now, if we had national popular vote instead of the Electoral College I could understand it ... but as things currently stand the only chance we (the GOP) have at winning to is win the more moderate leaning swing states that have large numbers of votes in the Electoral College - which we are not going to do with far right extremists.
Unless there are so many independent conservatives in the swing states that truly stay at home like BentBow and others say they do, I will have to agree.

Quote:
Unless the nation goes to the popular vote because of turnouts similar to what was called for when Gore beat Bush, it won't. (FYI, Bush was the last republican to win popular vote-wise in the last six elections.)

Old 03-12-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah, Ted Cruz winning a state election in a right wing state isn't much of a shocker. That still doesn't change the fact that it doesn't mean anything when it comes to the electoral vote.

For the record, Ron Paul won the State Caucuses here.....

Old 03-12-2015, 04:56 PM

29,250 posts, read 22,547,950 times
Quote:
For the record, Ron Paul won the State Caucuses here.....
And it didn't mean a thing in the electoral vote. Paul won a caucus here, too, but he lost the state in the general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections