Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2015, 02:43 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,122,056 times

Advertisements

Look at small businesses across America and you'll see many owners without college degrees having people with college degrees working for them, all specializing in one field of the many it took to build the company in the first place. That would indicate that many degreed people lack the knowledge and fortitude it takes to make something of themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 02:52 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,835,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Out View Post
Look at small businesses across America and you'll see many owners without college degrees having people with college degrees working for them, all specializing in one field of the many it took to build the company in the first place. That would indicate that many degreed people lack the knowledge and fortitude it takes to make something of themselves.
Can you provide statistics for your claims above? How many owners of small businesses, without college degrees, have people with college degrees working for them? How many owners of small businesses do not have a college degree? Where did you find this information?

Last edited by jojajn; 03-31-2015 at 03:13 PM..

Old 03-31-2015, 04:42 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,454,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Even worse, many who graduate from college, dont still understand many of the items on your list, we know this to be true by reading city data and all of the claims from people to be highly educated but cant do basic math.
I know.

I've seen some of your 'financial markets analysis'.

lol

Old 03-31-2015, 06:56 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You seem to imply that Scott Walker is not disciplined enough to learn anything in college anyway.
No, I implied many learn far more from living real life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
I know.

I've seen some of your 'financial markets analysis'.

lol
While I continue to work and do things, it all pretty much builds wealth, not income.. I have no need to earn anymore.

I pretty much retired at 30.. how about you?

Old 03-31-2015, 07:03 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Can you provide statistics for your claims above? How many owners of small businesses, without college degrees, have people with college degrees working for them? How many owners of small businesses do not have a college degree? Where did you find this information?
Google isnt difficult to use. i'm sure if you found city data, you can manage to key in

g o o g l e . c o m

Even has a lot less characters in it..

You can start here
https://www.sba.gov/sites/default/fi...mographics.pdf

28.2% of business owners only have a high school disploma and only 39% of them have a bachelors or higher.
More interesting enough 32.8% of them have only some college.

And how about this comparison.
How Much Does College Matter? For Small-Business Owners, Not Much (Infographic)

Old 03-31-2015, 07:17 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
Google isnt difficult to use. i'm sure if you found city data, you can manage to key in

g o o g l e . c o m

You can start here

28.2% of business owners only have a high school disploma and only 39% of them have a bachelors or higher.

So what?
Walker isn't a small business owner. Even if he was, and he wasn't, he's not now. He is a Governor.

More deflection again, pgh. Remember- concentrate now- Deflection Is Not Your Friend. All Red Herrings Stink, and no one ever buys them.

We are talking about a very divisive and controversial Governor, not a small businessman. How many Governors only have high school degrees, pgh? Try naming one. How many Senators?

Old 03-31-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
No, I implied many learn far more from living real life.

While I continue to work and do things, it all pretty much builds wealth, not income.. I have no need to earn anymore.

I pretty much retired at 30.. how about you?

As if studying toward a degree in college isn't "real life."

Obtaining a college degree demonstrates that a person is capable of intense discipline, hard work, sacrifice, organization, time-management, perseverance, and motivation.

Old 03-31-2015, 07:45 PM

Quote:

g o o g l e . c o m

You can start here

These small businesses include farms, dog breeders, cleaning service, painters, flea markets, lawn mowers, massage therapists, etc...... Yes, most small businesses do not require a college degree, however, running our country is not like running a lawn mowing service.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:11 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,068,868 times
It isn't. Anyone of any life experience beyond school will vouch for the real learning beginning after school. No statistics necessary for a universal truth.
Quote:
As if studying toward a degree in college isn't "real life."

Obtaining a college degree demonstrates that a person is capable of intense discipline, hard work, sacrifice, organization, time-management, perseverance, and motivation.

Last edited by earthlyfather; 04-01-2015 at 07:25 AM..

Old 04-01-2015, 07:54 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,371,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
So what?
Walker isn't a small business owner. Even if he was, and he wasn't, he's not now. He is a Governor.

More deflection again, pgh. Remember- concentrate now- Deflection Is Not Your Friend. All Red Herrings Stink, and no one ever buys them.

We are talking about a very divisive and controversial Governor, not a small businessman. How many Governors only have high school degrees, pgh? Try naming one. How many Senators?
http://thechoice.blogs.nytimes.com/2...congress/?_r=0
Complete List - Top 10 College Dropouts - TIME
The point remains, it is pretty common for young people in any endeavor to get wrapped up in extra-scholastic activities and drop out of college before finishing. Bill Gates and Steve Jobs are examples. They weren't small business owners either, although they did start out that way.

Our last mayor in Seattle followed a path similar to Walker's. He attended the UW, but got involved in politics at an early age. No doubt he intended to go back to finish like Walker, but never found the time. The lack of a degree was never made an issue in any of his campaigns, but then he had that magic 'D' next to his name.

President Harry Truman didn't have a degree, and is now rated highly by historians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections