Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 04:29 PM

920 posts, read 639,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Nothing wrong with Rafael. Its good. No better, no worse than say Piyush.

Exactly, I never realized there were such Xenophobes in the democrat party. They are fixated on names that sound different than theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Ted is from Edward. If Rafael shows his parents devotion to the Castros, then Edward shows their like loyalties to the royals of England (Canada). They should have named him Jackson or something that is a good American name. But they were communist subjects of the throne of England judging by "Ted's" given name. Honestly, were his name Jackson Hercules Cruz, he would have my vote!

Wow, is that the same reason Edward Kennedy was named Edward a/k/a Ted? I mean, in that case, it makes way more sense, given his political bent.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:35 PM

171 posts, read 328,182 times
Once lived in Lynnwood....beautiful place....and different sounding names than I was familiar with, so I took the time to learn the history and founding families of the area. Was beautiful...and the food was so wonderful. Guess I was a little "fixated" on last names for a while....got over it....re-registered!

Old 03-26-2015, 04:35 PM

26,576 posts, read 14,531,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
What are you talking about? The fact that Cruz didn't know that he had dual citizenship, since his mother assured him that she would have to affirmatively seek out his citizenship?
this part i found hard to believe. a lawyer reaching the level that cruz has not understanding the basic concept of jus soli. he's either lying or surprisingly ignorant.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:36 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,326,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Cruz was outspent big time in the primary, and faced down impressive opposition from prominent politicians in his own party.

They wanted someone else, someone more beholden to the party line.
In the primary sure, but that was because Dewhurst put up about $19 million of his own money, they both raised about $7 million each. And once Cruz won the primary, he out spent the Democrats in the general election.

Which a Republican winning an election in a very Republican state that has a low voter participation rate isn't something to brag about. That would be like Nancy Pelosi bragging she won her election.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:36 PM

39,184 posts, read 51,552,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Ignorant bullsh*t.
Where you even get this "the individual insurance marketplace was destroyed" nonsense - Fox News?
Plenty of places out there to get insurance. Just google "health insurance" and whatever state you want and you'll find sites out there for all the big health insurance companies to sign up on.

For example, here's Humana's for Arizona:

https://www.humana.com/individual-an...ns-in-arizona/

Here's Blur Cross/Blue Shield for Arizona:

https://www.azblue.com/#panel-MedicalPlans

Here's Cigna of Arizona:

2014 Health Insurance Coverage Options in Arizona

You can find such sites for EVERY state in the country.

Ken
Those are all exchange policies. Which is to say the all the policies offered on company sites are the same policies are offered on AZ's part of the exchange at the same cost. Not everyone can buy on the exchanges and you only need to use them to get your subsidy. And all policies must meet Obamacare standards.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:42 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,924,806 times
Quote:
Exactly, I never realized there were such Xenophobes in the democrat party. They are fixated on names that sound different than theirs.
Ted Cruz is the one not using his given name, Rafael.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:43 PM

39,184 posts, read 51,552,336 times
Quote:
Wow, is that the same reason Edward Kennedy was named Edward a/k/a Ted? I mean, in that case, it makes way more sense, given his political bent.
Yeah, "Ted" is the diminutive of Edward. I don't know if this is accurate but here is a discussion of Ted and some others that seem a little odd.

The Origins of 10 Nicknames | Mental Floss

Old 03-26-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hippie Lady View Post
How many children grew up with a father whom fought alongside Fidel Castro....? Here we go again! Aren't things in a timely fashion here lately?

I am sure there are thousands and thousands. Cruz' father was 14 years old and was fighting AGAINST Bautista, who was a dictator that suspended the countries Constitution and brutalized the citizens.

Unlike Barry Soetero's friend George Soros, who was a Nazi sympathizer, the elder Cruz has publicly expressed his regret for any support of Castro

The elder Cruz escaped Cuba (after being imprisoned and beaten) in 1957 when he was 18. Castro came to power in 1959.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:44 PM

171 posts, read 328,182 times
And the father? Wasn't he working with some oil company - was he sent there by Castro? Not really sure, but memory sorta leaning that way...Seems his father was not happy with Castro for some reason, and got out of Cuba when he could, went to work in Canada with an oil & gas company. I think he declared his citizenship solely to America around the same time, or just before his son did. Will research.
History is interesting....I do clearly remember the Cuban Crisis and the fear of that 30 seconds threat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections