Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 04:45 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,395,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
What bills in Congress has Cruz authored?
What bills in Congress did Senator Obama (who usually voted, "Present") author?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 04:45 PM

920 posts, read 639,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Ted Cruz is the one not using his given name, Rafael.
I know, just like "Ted" Kennedy or "Bill" Clinton or "Al" Gore. I guess those names don't bother you since they aren't Latino.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:47 PM

171 posts, read 328,221 times
I remember Batista, etc. And the corruption in Cuba at the time....I also remember Castro continuing the same. I felt heartbroken for the people. I always hoped to see Cuba in a "good place" before I died. I loved their music and art. Dreams do come true!

Old 03-26-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
this part i found hard to believe. a lawyer reaching the level that cruz has not understanding the basic concept of jus soli. he's either lying or surprisingly ignorant.

Really? Why would he be concerned about Canadian citizenship, when he lived his life in America and it was never an issue until it was reported in the newspaper.

He studied US Law and specifically focused on Constitutional law, based on his practice. I don't find it unusual at all. I think he is neither lying nor ignorant. I think those who are looking for something to nit pick about Cruz are finding nothing more than this are extremely desperate or have an issue with Latinos.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
In the primary sure, but that was because Dewhurst put up about $19 million of his own money, they both raised about $7 million each. And once Cruz won the primary, he out spent the Democrats in the general election.

Which a Republican winning an election in a very Republican state that has a low voter participation rate isn't something to brag about. That would be like Nancy Pelosi bragging she won her election.

Or Obama winning his election in Illinois?

Old 03-26-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Why do you and other lefties insist on calling Ted Cruz by his father's name? Rafael Cruz is not running for the Presidency, his son Ted is.

It is not what Cruz or Obama did/does in the Senate, it has to do with everything they accomplished before that.

Barack Obama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[Obama] was a community organizer in Chicago before earning his law degree. He worked as a civil rights attorney and taught constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School from 1992 to 2004. He served three terms representing the 13th District in the Illinois Senate from 1997 to 2004, running unsuccessfully for the United States House of Representatives in 2000.
Correction: Obama never taught Constitutional Law. He was a lecturer. not a professor, and he didn't teach
any classes on Constitutional Law. That is a complete myth (or lie).

Quote:
Between 1999 and 2003, Cruz served as the director of the Office of Policy Planning at the Federal Trade Commission, an associate deputy attorney general at the United States Department of Justice, and as domestic policy advisor to U.S. President George W. Bush on the 2000 Bush-Cheney campaign. He served as Solicitor General of Texas from 2003 to May 2008, after being appointed by Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott. He was the first Hispanic, the youngest and the longest-serving solicitor general in Texas history. Cruz was also an adjunct professor of law at the University of Texas School of Law in Austin, from 2004 to 2009. While there, he taught U.S. Supreme Court litigation.
Quote:

Old 03-26-2015, 04:54 PM

39,185 posts, read 51,559,058 times
Quote:
I know, just like "Ted" Kennedy or "Bill" Clinton or "Al" Gore. I guess those names don't bother you since they aren't Latino.
This ^^ from the person who posted this:

Quote:
I did address your posting. BHussainO signed the bill into law, the fact that he then decided not to follow it does not diminish the fact that Cruz sponsored and was able to get bipartisan passage of the law that was SIGNED into law by BHussainO. The fact that BHussainO thinks he is above the law is a pure reflection on BHussainO and not on Cruz or his accomplishments before and during his Senate tenure.
And did not even spell "Hussein" correctly. Some folks have no shame.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:56 PM

171 posts, read 328,221 times
Batista was Dictator from 1952 to 1959 and was overthrown by the Cuban Revolution. Fidel Castro became the Prime Minister 1959 - 1976.......(then President 1976 - 2008). I understood the father left about 5 years later, when Fidel said some people who were unhappy could leave if the wanted....I remember the flights to America......

Old 03-26-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Gore is not smart. Gore flunked out of divinity school and had to get his dad to pull strings to get him enrolled in college.
But wait a minute: Didn't he invent the Internet?

Old 03-26-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hippie Lady View Post
And the father? Wasn't he working with some oil company - was he sent there by Castro? Not really sure, but memory sorta leaning that way...Seems his father was not happy with Castro for some reason, and got out of Cuba when he could, went to work in Canada with an oil & gas company. I think he declared his citizenship solely to America around the same time, or just before his son did. Will research.
History is interesting....I do clearly remember the Cuban Crisis and the fear of that 30 seconds threat.

No he was not "sent" to the US, he fled Cuba and was given political asylum. Cruz' parents owned a seismic-data processing firm for oil drillers. That is what they were doing in Canada. There is nothing nefarious about the elder Cruz. I guess the left just doesn't like people with different names or Latinos that don't toe the democrat party line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections