Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2015, 05:09 PM

920 posts, read 633,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hippie Lady View Post
I will definitely check the information you gave....I certainly remember differently. Can you give your source of information? Would appreciate...thanks. I like to research info I am given.
Absolutely:

How Ted Cruz's Father Shaped His Views On Immigration : It's All Politics : NPR

Senate candidate Ted Cruz says he hasn't misled about father's exodus from Cuba | Dallas Morning News

Cruz's life defies simplification - Houston Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 05:10 PM

920 posts, read 633,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Obama had to actually appeal to Republicans as well in Illinois, it is a pretty red state outside of Chicago.

Just like Texas is very BLUE in large metropolitan areas like Houston, Dallas and Austin.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:11 PM

171 posts, read 326,989 times
thanks, lorinwa....will read

Old 03-26-2015, 05:12 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
Just like Texas is very BLUE in large metropolitan areas like Houston, Dallas and Austin.
As long as you forget all about the low voter participation in that state. If the cities of Texas had any real sway, the state would have already gone blue.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:17 PM

26,563 posts, read 14,441,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriinwa View Post
He studied US Law....
jus soli is part of US law.

Quote:
I think those who are looking for something to nit pick about Cruz are finding nothing more than this are extremely desperate or have an issue with Latinos.
please explain to me how ANYTHING i've said shows "an issue with Latinos".

Old 03-26-2015, 05:28 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Those are all exchange policies. Which is to say the all the policies offered on company sites are the same policies are offered on AZ's part of the exchange at the same cost. Not everyone can buy on the exchanges and you only need to use them to get your subsidy. And all policies must meet Obamacare standards.
ALL the exchange does is bring all the policies offered by all the insurers together in one place. They are NOT "exchange policies", they are just policies. They are the same policies as are on the exchanges because the exchanges bring together ALL available policies. The claim was made that the individual marketplace was destroyed by the exchanges - and that is just NOT true in any way. Policies are STILL available on the individual marketplaces from individual insurers OR you can get your policy at the exchanges.

Ken

Old 03-26-2015, 05:37 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Cruz actually served as a lawyer in the private sector. Barack has never had a job past high school.
That's a lie, but it makes no difference now. Cruz isn't running against Obama.
But if you want to keep your Obama obsession, that's fine with me. I hope Ted the Mournful Bassett wins the nomination. As a registered Republican, I will be happy to vote for him in the primaries. I always pick the Republican candidate most likely to be thumped the hardest in the Presidential elections.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:38 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,328,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
umm, Ken, all those sites are offering ACA-compliant policies under ACA rules. The former individual marketplace, featuring a wide range of policies with lower prices, generally lower deductibles, and lower coinsurance, IS GONE as I said.

If you repeal the ACA or "defund" it, the economics behind every policy on every website you listed is blown--totally. Ask somebody who knows something about insurance. (Hint: Not Ted Cruz.)
So standards were tightened, that doesn't mean "the individual marketplace is gone". That claim is an outright lie.

The individual marketplaces are still there and are still thriving. Lower end plans are indeed gone, but the fact is many of those plan were pretty worthless.

"Before the ACA was created, there were periodic news reports about health insurance horror stories. They usually centered around limited benefit plans, mini-meds offered to minimum-wage employees, discount medical plans (not technically insurance, but the people who bought them didn’t always know that), and individual policies with more holes than a piece of Swiss cheese.

In the pre-2014 individual health insurance market, the plan options ran the gamut from great to horrible. Without a good pair of reading glasses or a trusted broker, it was often tough to decipher whether you were getting a solid policy or a junk one.

Those news reports were usually met with collective outrage. How could such worthless “coverage” even be available in the U.S.? Why weren’t there laws prohibiting those plans?..."

Just how bad are junk health policies?

Consumer Reports BLASTED those plans:

"Good riddance to useless mini-med health insurance plans

Cancellations are good news for low-paid workers

There’s a new Tumblr called Mycancellation.com that consists of nothing but user-submitted health insurance cancellation notices, presumably to stoke indignation among health reform critics.

A few of the images posted caught my eye because it’s clear the people who put them there have no idea that they have dodged a health insurance bullet. The plans that they are losing are the "mini-meds" offered to low-paid part-time and hourly workers of restaurants, temp agencies, retail stores, and other such businesses.

These plans are in no way, shape, or form real health insurance. I’ve seen some that top out at no more than a few thousand dollars a year. To be clear: That’s NOT the deductible; it’s the most the plan will pay in a year for all your medical care put together.

In an article on junk insurance last year, I included the story of Judy Goss, a woman from Michigan who had one such policy, from a Cigna subsidiary called Starbridge. It covered $3,000 a year in care, and when she was given a breast cancer diagnosis and needed $30,000 in immediate treatment, she had to put it off for three months until she got approved for a high-deductible Medicaid plan (available to her only because she had young children)."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...last/index.htm

Here's a Wall Street Journal article from 2006 on those so-called mini-med plans (the one's that were cancelled by Obamacare):

...Mini-medical plans cause more than their share of consumer complaints, say some brokers and state insurance regulators. Some critics worry that many customers are young people who might not fully grasp the plans' limitations, or individuals who are buying policies on their own without the guidance of an employer's human-resource department. Overeager brokers may also gloss over them to promote their "upfront" benefits, say consumer groups, and some brokers and state regulators...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB113745963230248086

Now it IS true that SOME lower-end plans were OK - and those plans gone as well, but the fact is, for most people, with your subsidies you can probably get a much better plan than you had for pretty much the same amount of money.

The fact is, your claim that the individual marketplace is gone is an outright lie. It may not have all those low-end (in many cases JUNK) plans, but it's still there and still thriving.

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 03-26-2015 at 06:01 PM..

Old 03-26-2015, 05:45 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I tell you what, instead of worrying over a Mark Twain quote, why don't you address my posting, on the previous page, concerning this wonderful Act of Congress cited by both you and Bentbow as being one of the heights of Rafael Edward Cruz's achievements while a Senator? Seems like my reply to Bentbow is being ignored (and you even posted after me, citing said Act).

Best take a second look. I know I replied.

Old 03-26-2015, 06:00 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
For the right wingers today, it does seem to be the qualifications.

I believe the only qualifications needed, are be an american and live in the border USA for 14 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections