Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 01:29 PM

63,081 posts, read 29,276,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
You dont get it. Both Mexicans and Cubans are Hispanic and Hispanics are still a minority. A young candidate of Hispanic descent will appeal to a Hispanic voter much more than a rich old white woman will. Especially if Rubio or Cruz start pandering to the Latinos as the Democrats do and playing on current issues important to Latinos. it will be game over before it even starts.
Read my prior post. Hispanics from Mexican roots vote Democrat and the Democrats are promising amnesty for their illegal amigos. Hillary will follow suit. Rubio signed the Senate bill that allowed for that already. Cruz claims he isn't pro-amnesty. What are these current issues important to Latinos that the GOP candidates should pander to them about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 01:39 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,493,748 times
The majority of Mexican-Americans lean left not right.
The majority of Mexican-Americans support normalization of relations with Cuba - Rubio and Cruz do not.
Both Rubio and Cruz have claimed that their parents escaped communism - but both sets of parents came over before Castro came to power.
Both Rubio and Cruz are part of the 47 Senators who sabotaged negotiations with Iran.
Rubio and Cruz can't cruise on their heritage - they have taken action and hold views not shared with the majority of Mexican-Americans.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The majority of Mexican-Americans lean left not right.
The majority of Mexican-Americans support normalization of relations with Cuba - Rubio and Cruz do not.
Both Rubio and Cruz have claimed that their parents escaped communism - but both sets of parents came over before Castro came to power.
Both Rubio and Cruz are part of the 47 Senators who sabotaged negotiations with Iran.
Rubio and Cruz can't cruise on their heritage - they have taken action and hold views not shared with the majority of Mexican-Americans.
Well at least Rubio is willing to cave into their pro-amnesty demands. Cruz I'm not so sure about on that issue yet but I have my suspicions.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:28 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,256,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
So you think the average Hispanic voter is going to vote for a rich, near 70 year old white woman who has no clue at all what being a minority is like over a 43 year old man of Hispanic descent who is much more in touch with issues they deem important? LOL
1. That 43 year old man of Hispanic decent is not going to be the Republican nominee.

2. Latino voted for that same white woman over a black minority in 2 to 1 margin during the 2008 primary.

Old 04-15-2015, 05:57 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,888,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
This is the only way they can square off with Hillary and actually put up a fight.
Well, when the Repub party listens to it's chief mentor, it will be a bit difficult to muster much popular support. To paraphrase Wayne, "let's elect a white man next time".

NRA's LaPierre: Obama, Clinton 'demographically-symbolic' - CNN.com

Old 04-15-2015, 06:05 AM

45,558 posts, read 60,822,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So your saying the only way republicans have a chance is if they run a minority, except for all the minorities that they will run. Maybe if the republicans ran a 70 year old white liberal democrat they would have a chance.

I commented on the "idea" of this thread here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post39158994

Old 04-15-2015, 09:48 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,935,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Cruz and Rubio are Cubans. That may help with the Miami vote but it counts for little in getting the Mexican-American vote.
Uh; Cruz is NOT "Cuban". His father was from there. To be blunt: Cruz is a Canadian but he followed his American mom's US citizenship. Hell; Mitt Romany's dad; George, who ran in 1968 as a Repub was a Mexican, which had he won the nomination, that could've banned him right there even tho his US citizen parents were just residents of Mexico 100 years back. Word was George as a kid also ran into anti Mexican prejudice when his family returned to the US even tho he was of 100 percent anglo white family.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:50 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,935,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
So using your logic I guess that means all white people will vote for Hillary then, if she is running against Rubio or Cruz.
NOT me and I'm def "white". LOL

Old 04-15-2015, 11:56 AM

So in other words minorities will only vote for someone who shares their skin color/race? I guess Hillary is toast then.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:26 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,386,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
LOL. Even using your own logic, it won't help Cruz or Rubio.

How many Chinese/Korean/Japanese mayors were elected in the Vietnamese district? How often do the Vietnamese voted in for someone who kinda look like them but is not exactly?

Cruz and Rubio are Cubans. How many Mexicans will vote for Cruz and Rubio just because he kind of look like them?

Oh wait, I'm sure your response is somewhere along the line of, "I don't care. All Latinos are the same to me!!"

I remember the conservatives were saying in 2008 that Blacks and Latinos don't get along and none of the Latinos will vote for Obama. Yeah.

Race just isn't your thing, mate.
And enough Vietnamese voted for Loretta Sanchez in her Orange County Congressional district (which is about 20-30% Vietnamese) to help get her reelected, against a Vietnamese candidate, despite her occasional gaffes. She does work her district pretty well - she'll show up at a Tet celebration dressed in an Ao Dai (traditional Vietnamese dress) and other events.

Steve Cohen of Tennessee is a white man who represents a majority African American Congressional district in Memphis, and he's been reelected multiple times despite attracting several black primary opponents who often make race a big reason to select them, all unsuccessfully.

Bottom Line: Folks won't necessarily vote for someone of the same ethnicity alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections