Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 09:32 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,326,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
And you were the one complaining about moving the goal posts. What does Romney paying or not paying his taxes have to do with whether or not Romney showed contempt for 47% of Americans?

FWIW: I didn't vote against Romney because of the amount of taxes he paid or didn't pay. I was always suspicious of Reid's accusation. I think it would be a good voluntary practice for candidates for the Presidency to release their returns going back several years. As long as they have complied with the tax laws then I don't really care very much about what else returns show.
Did the Democrats make a big deal over "Romney paying $0" in taxes?

yes they did.. Either the argument was valid that someone shouldnt pay zero, and thus Romney didnt contribute and neither do the 47% making Romneys argument true, or the argument wasnt valid at which Democrats are hypocrites.

You choose which one it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 09:41 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,864,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Did the Democrats make a big deal over "Romney paying $0" in taxes?

yes they did.. Either the argument was valid that someone shouldnt pay zero, and thus Romney didnt contribute and neither do the 47% making Romneys argument true, or the argument wasnt valid at which Democrats are hypocrites.

You choose which one it is.
Of those who complained about Romney supposedly paying zero Federal Income Tax, did they claim that it demonstrated that Romney wasn't taking personal responsibility for his own life? I don't recall that charge.

Although based on Romney's logic, if the accusation was true, then it would show he was not taking personal responsibility for his own life, which demonstrates the faultiness of Romney's way of thinking.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Of those who complained about Romney supposedly paying zero Federal Income Tax, did they claim that it demonstrated that Romney wasn't taking personal responsibility for his own life? I don't recall that charge.
They argued he wasnt paying "his fair share", which of course would be true of the other 47%, validating Romneys statement.
Quote:
Although based on Romney's logic, if the accusation was true, then it would show he was not taking personal responsibility for his own life, which demonstrates the faultiness of Romney's way of thinking.
Which would be true, only if Romneys statement was true. You cant argue that Romney isnt responsible for not paying taxes, but those who pay nothing are responsible, without being a hypocrite.

Last edited by pghquest; 04-20-2015 at 10:58 AM..

Old 04-20-2015, 10:44 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,821,568 times
Why is it ok that Hillary Clinton is a 1%er but liberals had problems with Mitt being one?

Because as a conservative 1%'er, libs couldn't be like Mitt.

With Hillary as a liberal 1%'er, libs can be like Hillary and still be themselves. A sheer likeness of sycophantry.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
They argued he wasnt paying "his fair share", which of course would be true of the other 47%, validating Romneys statement.

Which would be true, only if Romneys statement was true. You cant argue that Romney isnt responsible for not paying taxes, but those who pay nothing are responsible, without being a hypocrite.
Romney didn't take a fair share position in his statement when he showed contempt for 47% of Americans. I haven't raised the fair share argument in my responses to whether or not Romney showed contempt for 47% of Americans. The fair share idea is a different issue.

I've have already stated that I don't think owing or paying Federal Income Tax is a valid indicator of whether or not someone has taken personal responsibility for their life. Romney is the person that claimed the 47% of Americans who do not pay Federal Income Tax have not taken personal responsibility for their lives. I don't know any Democrat that concurred with Romney's claim about judging someones level of personal responsibility for their own lives based on paying Federal Income Tax.

Whether or not Romney paid his "Fair Share" or whether the 47% paid their "Fair Share" is a different issue.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:31 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,309,775 times
Quote:

FWIW: I didn't vote against Romney because of the amount of taxes he paid or didn't pay. I was always suspicious of Reid's accusation. I think it would be a good voluntary practice for candidates for the Presidency to release their returns going back several years. As long as they have complied with the tax laws then I don't really care very much about what else returns show.

don't you think if Romney didn't comply with the tax laws, he would have been audited or investigated by the I.R.S. and the state of Mass way before he ran for the U.S. Senate in 1994 against the big Kennedy machine.

He also ran as governor and won in a very democrat blue state......don't you think his political enemies in the state legislature didn't investigate his tax returns with the Mass Revenue and then later when he ran for President in 2008 and 2012?

Democrats spread so much lies about his tax returns. Even Harry Reid the head of the senate made the charge in the senate floor knowing it was a lie....how low can the head of the Senate get using the senate floor to make a false statement.....that's how low the democrats are willing to go to win.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
don't you think if Romney didn't comply with the tax laws, he would have been audited or investigated by the I.R.S. and the state of Mass way before he ran for the U.S. Senate in 1994 against the big Kennedy machine.

He also ran as governor and won in a very democrat blue state......don't you think his political enemies in the state legislature didn't investigate his tax returns with the Mass Revenue and then later when he ran for President in 2008 and 2012?

Democrats spread so much lies about his tax returns. Even Harry Reid the head of the senate made the charge in the senate floor knowing it was a lie....how low can the head of the Senate get using the senate floor to make a false statement.....that's how low the democrats are willing to go to win.
I think you need to reread my post that you responded to. When I stated that "I was always suspicious of Reid's accusation" that was not an indication that I believed Reid's accusation. No where have I stated that I believed Reid's accusation, nor have I claimed that Romney did not pay the taxes he owed.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:40 PM

Quote:
I think you need to reread my post that you responded to. When I stated that "I was always suspicious of Reid's accusation" that was not an indication that I believed Reid's accusation. No where have I stated that I believed Reid's accusation, nor have I claimed that Romney did not pay the taxes he owed.
Many indeed believed Reid's statement. Why Democrats didnt call him out is a mystery. The standard you guys have is astounding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections