Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 03:03 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,308,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
If Republicans could stay off the social stuff, stop opposing everything that helps poor./middle class, stop supporting everything that helps the upper echelon, they could win. They come off as disingenuous big time. We dont have money to give middle class breaks, we cut food stamps, we wont give students a fair interest rate on student loans, even though the banks are getting the money almost zero percent interest, and the list goes on....They cant run on the economy, and they wont win constantly criticizing Hillary. They have to tell us what they are going to do. They have to stop excoriating anyone who wants to work with the other side, its just not productive.

Student loans are already at a fair interest rate, considering the fact they are issued to people who often have no current means to pay them back, no collateral to offer and no credit history.

But to get back on this, if the Republicans adopted the whole Democratic Platform, they couldn't win.

People that oppose the Democratic platform would no longer vote for them.

People that support the Democratic platform would be very unlikely to vote for them. Those folks might not think the Republicans are being truthful after decades of singing a different tune. Further, even if they thought the GOP was honestly supporting the entire liberal agenda, the Democrats would be as well, as its tough to vote for a newcomer to the liberal ideology, when the veterans are out there running too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 03:18 PM

38,922 posts, read 24,055,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Just what behavior is the GOP supposed to stop?
Let's see, not propose to repeal Obamacare without having proposals on the table last committee, dropping the gay marriage should be illegal period or even up to the states (a pocket veto for gay marriage) and against abortion outright. These issues would be a decent start.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Let's see, not propose to repeal Obamacare without having proposals on the table last committee, dropping the gay marriage should be illegal period or even up to the states (a pocket veto for gay marriage) and against abortion outright. These issues would be a decent start.
If the Republican candidate did that, would you get out there to work for him, and make sure you got to the polls on Election Day?

Old 04-20-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
If the Republican candidate did that, would you get out there to work for him, and make sure you got to the polls on Election Day?
I go vote anyway, by mail in early voting mind you. The issue is if I vote R or not.

Old 04-20-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I go vote anyway, by mail in early voting mind you. The issue is if I vote R or not.
Well, would you vote for the Republican, or not, if Sen. Cruz decided to follow your advice and come out for gay marriage, abortion and obamacare?

Old 04-20-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Well, would you vote for the Republican, or not, if Sen. Cruz decided to follow your advice and come out for gay marriage, abortion and obamacare?
No because I can't trust Cruz to do that based on his time in congress with infinite attempts to derail Obamacare. A Paul, a Rubio, a Walker, sure but not Cruz.

Old 04-20-2015, 04:17 PM

11,109 posts, read 9,896,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
The Presidency is there for the Republicans to take. I dont understand, why they are not following the advice which followed from the last election. They commissioned the study, and are not following the feedback given to them. I watch, and read a ton of political news/shows/articles. The republicans need to stop railing against Hillary and start talking about what they are going to do for the country. Hillary is not well liked by a lot of indies, also a lot of dems dont like her. They would be easy pickings for a sensible republican, if they would just get over Hillary. Why waste your energy on her at this point? I am not saying none of them have talked about what they will do, however, they spend far too much energy and time on Hillary. Its like they are obsessing over her as they do Obama. I know the Clintons are very much disliked and elicit a lot of ill feelings but good grief, just get over them.
It's not enough for Republicans to win the independent vote - they need to win it big.

Governor Romney won the independent vote by 5% over President Obama in 2012. Yet he lost the popular vote by 3.9% and fell 63 Electoral votes (or 12% of the Electoral College) short of winning the election.
Romney exit polls: He won independents, white women, and “middle income” voters. So what?

Republican identification peaked between 1985 and 1990. It has been declining ever since, precipitously so since 2006 - it is now as low as it has been in a third of a century. Conversely, Democratic identification now is right about at the median of where it has been over the last quarter century.
Trends in Party Identification, 1939-2014 | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

The problem for Republicans, of course, is that they can't win primaries without taking ever more extreme positions. They've made this faustian deal with a frothing-at-the-mouth base which is putting the Presidency increasingly out of their reach.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:39 PM

2,002 posts, read 1,174,549 times
Quote:
I would agree with this, I abhor Obamacare, however I do like keeping kids on to age 24. It would be nice if Rs would offer an alternative. I have no opinion on gay marriage on way or the other, pretty much whatever floats your boat. But I need abortion to be a legal choice. I can be flexible on late term abortion.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
A Paul, a Rubio, a Walker, sure but not Cruz.
I'm surprised by this answer.

If I was that enamored by the idea of Obamacare, I'd be sure to get out and vote for Mrs. Clinton, as she was part of the party that gave the program to the America instead of casting for a johnny-come-lately like Paul, Rubio or Walker showing their approval.

And if I didn't like the program, and thought it was an important enough issue, I wouldn't vote for either side if they both were in favor of the darn thing.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:15 PM

63,507 posts, read 29,531,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It's not enough for Republicans to win the independent vote - they need to win it big.

Governor Romney won the independent vote by 5% over President Obama in 2012. Yet he lost the popular vote by 3.9% and fell 63 Electoral votes (or 12% of the Electoral College) short of winning the election.
Romney exit polls: He won independents, white women, and “middle income” voters. So what?

Republican identification peaked between 1985 and 1990. It has been declining ever since, precipitously so since 2006 - it is now as low as it has been in a third of a century. Conversely, Democratic identification now is right about at the median of where it has been over the last quarter century.
Trends in Party Identification, 1939-2014 | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

The problem for Republicans, of course, is that they can't win primaries without taking ever more extreme positions. They've made this faustian deal with a frothing-at-the-mouth base which is putting the Presidency increasingly out of their reach.
What's an extreme position?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections