Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2015, 09:00 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,237,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's not that Jeb is pro-immigration it is that he is pro-illegal immigration and that will hurt him with conservatives and other sensible voters.
Right and that is what I should have said. Let's hope none of us are really pro immigration.

tominftl: believe it or not, your vote isn't really what this thread is all about. It would be nice if we can keep this debate interesting anc challenging, with intelligent comments whether we all agree or not.

I-Like-Spam

just to let you know, the Republican party establishment isn't in favor of amnesty or let's say,it depends on what you call amnesty? There is a difference between amnesty and allowing some to remain in our country even if they are here illegally.

Last edited by nmnita; 05-01-2015 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 09:27 AM

25,231 posts, read 17,002,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Lefties around here are an absolute joke.
Pssst, the OP is not a Leftie.
Oppps.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Mr Bush has a large albatross around his neck. His policies are those of his brother. The current GOP wishes to end SS and Medicare. They are all jumping in line to destroy it. More tax cuts for the 1%, here in NC the tax cut turned into a tax increase for the majority of the state, and has created a larger revenue shortage.

GOP = Fiscal Conservative not in my lifetime
Where in gods green earth did you get the idea the GOP wants to end Medicare or SS? Yes, privatize part of your SS contirbution is something worth considering, and expending the age you can start collecting it also needs to be considered, but that is not ending it. I think you might need to research what you are posting a little closer. And no one, has suggested ending Medicare. What too many forget, these programs were set up when our life expectancy was much shorter and not meant to be used for 20 or 30 years. Without some changes, my grandkids and great grandkids will see nothing. I don't want that for them. Maybe it is time for some to stop being so selfish and think of the future, not just themselves. No changes would affect anyone now over 55.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:41 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,145,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Where in gods green earth did you get the idea the GOP wants to end Medicare or SS? Yes, privatize part of your SS contirbution is something worth considering, and expending the age you can start collecting it also needs to be considered, but that is not ending it. I think you might need to research what you are posting a little closer. And no one, has suggested ending Medicare. What too many forget, these programs were set up when our life expectancy was much shorter and not meant to be used for 20 or 30 years. Without some changes, my grandkids and great grandkids will see nothing. I don't want that for them. Maybe it is time for some to stop being so selfish and think of the future, not just themselves. No changes would affect anyone now over 55.
As many of you on here know, I am 27 and I am seriously concerned about the long term status of SS and Medicare. Fortunately with many baby boomers working into their late 60s and early 70s this will help mitigate things slightly but I fear that sheer numbers of boomers will cause big trouble. Look, I don't begrudge someone who works a manual labor or a physically intensive job taking early retirement at 62 but I personally believe that most people should be strongly encouraged to wait until the full retirement age of 66 if not until 70 so they can maximize their monthly payment. Even working part time in retirement would help ... both in terms of ones personal finances and the SS coffers.

The fact is, the Social Security system has not kept up with the rising life expectancy rates since 1933. The thinking back then was that most people would only live long enough to receive benefits for 5 years, and that a good number wouldent even live long enough to collect in the first place. Today I would venture a guess that most people recieve benefits for about 15 years ... even 20+ years is not that uncommon nowadays as people will often live well into their 80s and beyond. Three of my four grandparents lived past 80 and my paternal grandfather lived till 85. Also bear in mind that the sheer number of senior citizens has significantly increased while the number of working people to support them has declined.

Just because you CAN retire at x age does not mean you SHOULD. We, as Americans, need to stop being selfish and only thinking about me, me, me and start thinking about us and where we want our nation to be in 20, 50, 100, etc years ... this is how the Chinese think. We only think about today.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:53 AM

39,179 posts, read 51,527,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
It's a brilliant bold move by Jeb recognizing he/she who differentiates to the non-partisans first is the sole man with a shot at POTUS. He isn't playing to simply be the nominee. He realizes America is many steps to the left of GOP primary voters.

This is analigious to Bill Clinton's brilliant Sister Souljah move. Like Bush, he wasn't playing to just be the nominee of his party. His Sister Souljah speech was several steps right of where his base was!

The rest of the GOP pack, so far, has been gutless, unwilling to say anything the base might not adore. That's a recipe to get thrashed at election time.
I am having trouble seeing how it was a brilliant move, no matter how correct it may have been. He has to get nominated before he can run. Poll after poll shows Republican primary voters staunchly opposed to any kind of immigration reform short of deportation. I am cynical enough to believe that the Republican establishment behind Bush has a number of tools at its disposal to rig the outcome to some extent. But that much?

Old 05-01-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
As many of you on here know, I am 27 and I am seriously concerned about the long term status of SS and Medicare. Fortunately with many baby boomers working into their late 60s and early 70s this will help mitigate things slightly but I fear that sheer numbers of boomers will cause big trouble. Look, I don't begrudge someone who works a manual labor or a physically intensive job taking early retirement at 62 but I personally believe that most people should be strongly encouraged to wait until the full retirement age of 66 if not until 70 so they can maximize their monthly payment. Even working part time in retirement would help ... both in terms of ones personal finances and the SS coffers.

The fact is, the Social Security system has not kept up with the rising life expectancy rates since 1933. The thinking back then was that most people would only live long enough to receive benefits for 5 years, and that a good number wouldent even live long enough to collect in the first place. Today I would venture a guess that most people recieve benefits for about 15 years ... even 20+ years is not that uncommon nowadays as people will often live well into their 80s and beyond. Three of my four grandparents lived past 80 and my paternal grandfather lived till 85. Also bear in mind that the sheer number of senior citizens has significantly increased while the number of working people to support them has declined.

Just because you CAN retire at x age does not mean you SHOULD. We, as Americans, need to stop being selfish and only thinking about me, me, me and start thinking about us and where we want our nation to be in 20, 50, 100, etc years ... this is how the Chinese think. We only think about today.
you are totally and completely correct and this has been my argument for years.Of course when people do take early retirement thier benefits are cut quite a bit. Still because of the number of baby boomers just entering retirement age and fewer people, like you say entering the employment world something has to been done.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:09 PM

63,480 posts, read 29,503,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Right and that is what I should have said. Let's hope none of us are really pro immigration.

tominftl: believe it or not, your vote isn't really what this thread is all about. It would be nice if we can keep this debate interesting anc challenging, with intelligent comments whether we all agree or not.

I-Like-Spam

just to let you know, the Republican party establishment isn't in favor of amnesty or let's say,it depends on what you call amnesty? There is a difference between amnesty and allowing some to remain in our country even if they are here illegally.
I fail to understand the difference between allowing any illegal aliens to remain in our country and amnesty. That's what amnesty is.

Old 05-01-2015, 01:32 PM

25,231 posts, read 17,002,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I fail to understand the difference between allowing any illegal aliens to remain in our country and amnesty. That's what amnesty is.
Unlike Reagans Amnesty, this one would only be limited to a select few and even those have conditions attached or it will not apply. So no Amnesty is not always the same, a blanket Amnesty is far different from what was proposed by the President, the devil is in the details.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:33 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,305,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Unlike Reagans Amnesty, this one would only be limited to a select few and even those have conditions attached or it will not apply. So no Amnesty is not always the same, a blanket Amnesty is far different from what was proposed by the President, the devil is in the details.
If the amnesty is only for a select few, how will that please the millions of hispanic voters who might be related to or otherwise feel a bond with the millions that will not receive the free pass?

Doesn't seem like something that you'd want to support, if you are seeking to get enough votes to win.

Old 05-01-2015, 02:49 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,701,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
If the amnesty is only for a select few, how will that please the millions of hispanic voters who might be related to or otherwise feel a bond with the millions that will not receive the free pass?

Doesn't seem like something that you'd want to support, if you are seeking to get enough votes to win.
Jeb Bush is the only politician talking about comprehensive immigration reform and a path to permanent residency for the 11 million already here. He announced it at the National Hispanic Christian Evangelical Conference held in Houston, on Wednesday. He's not just looking for the Hispanic vote, he's looking to pick up the legions of Democrats and independents who don't want to vote for Hillary and would never vote for a right wing ideologue. That's his strategy.

As a reference, Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio didn't bother to even show up to the NHCEC . Shows you what they think of the Hispanic vote and how many votes they expect to get from the Latino base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections