Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 10:57 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,719,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
So is there a republican that legitimately win or are Republicans resigned to lose.
We need a younger Fred Thompson,. Or a younger Reagan! Has anyone heard if Santorum is running? And, has he communicated his policy regarding illegal immigration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 02:22 PM

78,862 posts, read 46,841,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
So is there a republican that legitimately win or are Republicans resigned to lose.

Do the same thing over and over, expecting different results....

Reagan broke the mold, only to be re-glued together.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:40 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,996,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalbound12 View Post
Isn't this an uppity and elitist attitude. I guess American workers should be punished because they jobs they can get aren't good enough for you. I didn't realize that construction was only for bums. Not to mention most of the Americans who are now in competition with illegals for jobs would have a generation ago had blue collar jobs in an assembly plant or manufacturing; however, due to "free" trade agreements 90% of those jobs are now done by third worlders on the other side of the planet. Blue collar work has been ravaged in this country by people who support your ideas. Good job on destroying the middle class.
I couldn't agree more. Used to be you could make a decent living in the trades...now those jobs are all held by Hispanics. Even if an American citizen were to be hired on an all-Hispanic crew, he'd be at a disadvantage if he didn't speak Spanish.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I couldn't agree more. Used to be you could make a decent living in the trades...now those jobs are all held by Hispanics. Even if an American citizen were to be hired on an all-Hispanic crew, he'd be at a disadvantage if he didn't speak Spanish.

I got pushed out of Framing and Cornice work, then out of painting, then out of my lawn business I had since I was 6, Sheetrock, brick laying, then pushed on carpet installation, tile setting and now they rule the laminate wood floor installations here. The guy running the crew speaks English. You work them and pay off the coyote.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:35 PM

63,494 posts, read 29,523,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I don't take issue with Hispanics holding jobs in this country if they are here legally. Illegal aliens working in this country is unacceptable though. It is true however, that many Hispanics tend to speak Spanish everywhere they go and among themselves on the job so it makes it uncomfortable for an English speaking worker and once the employers have a majority Spanish speaking crew they don't want to hire an English speaker because they won't fit in.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:39 PM

63,494 posts, read 29,523,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
You're right, but your solution is not feasible. This is where Romney's "self-deportation" comes in. Now, it has been said that Romney was just blowing smoke? But, at least he had a workable plan that common sense conservatives could support. Unfortunately, his remarks were negatively portrayed and it never caught traction. Jeb is trying to address the issue in a realistic manner. Of course he come across as weak on enforcement. But, if its not being enforced anyway then it's a moot point!
Why is my solution not feasible? Are you saying that illegal aliens would remain here if they had no means to support themselves? Jeb's solution is amnesty. That's not realistic nor is it in the best interests of most American citizens. He'll never get my vote based on that.

Old 05-04-2015, 10:20 PM

5,105 posts, read 2,337,997 times
A silver-spoon rich man telling the working class that we can go to hell. Lovely.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:32 AM

39,185 posts, read 51,552,336 times
I was surprised Bush fared so poorly in NBC's poll out yesterday. He had a very poor positive/negative ratio. It has to be his name as I doubt people even know much about him beyond that. These kind of results, if they are reinforced and continue in other polling, will make the money men think twice about backing him. Where does that leave Republicans? Maybe one of the many extremists in the race will get the nod.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I was surprised Bush fared so poorly in NBC's poll out yesterday. He had a very poor positive/negative ratio. It has to be his name as I doubt people even know much about him beyond that. These kind of results, if they are reinforced and continue in other polling, will make the money men think twice about backing him. Where does that leave Republicans? Maybe one of the many extremists in the race will get the nod.

I predict Bush stays out and throws all his big money establishment connections into Rubio's campaign... Bush's protege.

Old 05-05-2015, 02:33 PM

29,250 posts, read 22,556,811 times
I suspect Bush is going to take his time declaring. With so many others now announced, Jeb is probably concentrating on getting as many big donors committed to him as possible, and laying down some major groundwork.

If he locks enough big money up, it will starve out several of the candidates who declared early later on, when the race is really on next year and money is being spent like a Hummer gulps gas. That's when the big support really begins to count the most.

Right now, it looks like the fundamentalists and the far right are covered like a blanket by at least 4 of the candidates. This will be another factor that could make Bush declare late, especially if he is running as a moderate. The middle of the road conservatives and swing voters who lean conservative are possibly going to become mighty sick and tired of hearing nothing from the group on the far right who won't offer much to them.

I read today there will be around 17 candidates in the running from the Republican party by the time the debates begin. That's 5 more than the Klown Korral in 2012, and the debates, with such a large number, aren't going to amount to much for anyone, as there won't be enough time for any to really present themselves well, even in a 90 minute debate. A 90 minute debate will only allow each 6 minutes total, most likely in increments of only 2 or 3 minutes at a time.

60 minute debates with so many are going to be pointless. I wonder how many viewers will stick around through more than one or two debates.

This will also play into Jeb's favor. He is one of the very few who are pretty widely known nationwide.

Don't expect Jeb to lay off Rubio. Bush has been in the works for a long time, and he will need Florida. I expect he'll thrash Marco as much as possible in any matchup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections