Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2015, 08:09 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,609,470 times

Advertisements

It's looking more and more everyday like the GOP has picked the wrong retread, maybe Mittens would be a better retread.

Quote:
More and more, it seems as if the party made a mistake. Mitt and Jeb are both sad emblems of an embarrassing past, but Jeb appears to be a worse campaigner than Mitt, and Jeb refuses to budge from positions that are anathema to the party base. What's more, the party's voters want a candidate who's an grudge-driven attack dog, which is why the first candidate to shoot to the top of the charts this year was Scott Walker.

If the party Establishment wanted an establishmentarian and Republican voters want a guy motivated by resentment and grudges, Mitt Romney would have been a much better choice. Consider what happened last night at the end of Mitt's charity boxing match with Evander Holyfield:
Dear Gop Establishment: You Went With The Wrong Retread | Crooks and Liars
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 10:38 AM

63,481 posts, read 29,503,207 times
How does another amnesty solve the illegal immigration problem?

Old 05-17-2015, 10:51 AM

11,986 posts, read 5,335,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Over the long term, it might give the GOP a legitimate shot of winning Presidential elections. As it is now, they'll have to achieve near-records of margins in the white vote to win. They're reaching sort of a damned if they do, damned if they don't scenario.

Pollster: GOP Must Nearly Double Share of Non-White Vote to Win White House - Washington Wire - WSJ

http://www.forbes.com/sites/stuartan...-gop-pollster/

Last edited by Bureaucat; 05-17-2015 at 11:45 AM..

Old 05-17-2015, 11:15 AM

2,345 posts, read 1,678,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
If Jeb Bush will go head to head against the tea party republicans and finally solve the immigration problem, he'll get my vote and probably enough votes to beat Hillary.
What say you?

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush declared Wednesday that 11 million immigrants in the country illegally should have an opportunity to stay, wading yet again into his party's contentious immigrant debate.
"We're a nation of immigrants," Bush said at the National Christian Hispanic Leadership Conference that brought several hundred Hispanic evangelical leaders to Houston this week. "This is not the time to abandon something that makes us special and unique." A successful immigration overhaul is more than simply strengthening the border, Bush said, referring to "11 million people that should come out from the shadows and receive earned legal status."

Jeb Bush: Give 11 Million Immigrants A Chance To Stay

I say.... with great Thunder-like WARNING; All the Bush'es are Deceitful Con men. Yes Dubya Bush with his personal Agenda based, Stubborn Invasion Pre-Emptive Attack on Iraq, was the Straw that broke the Arab Camels back, and that is the basic reason for the NOW, extreme Hatred the Arab Nations now have for the USA.

Jeb Bush is his brother, who just yesterday, defended Dubya's Bloody, Wrong decision to invade and massacre a Nation before that Nation ever attacked American soil. The blood of Ton's of innocent people, is on both the Bush Brothers hands.

Jeb Bush, as Governor of Florida, stood by, as did G Dubya, then POTUSA, and let a Helpless disabled American citizen, Teri Schiavo, Suffer and starve to death, in her nursing home, as her Family pleaded with both Bush brothers to intercede and Save Teri from that Merciless pain and death.

Either of...and both Jeb and brother, Prez Dubya, had the Authority to Stop her horrible suffering and death.

Therefore, I SAY, Only a full grown, ignorant fool, could support and vote for Jeb Bush.

He's just another Bush Con man!!

Old 05-17-2015, 12:37 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,045,920 times
Quote:
It doesn't. It just encourages more to come, like last time with Reagan.

I did like the stands Gary Johnson/Libertarian candidate (2012) took:

- 2 year grace period for illegals to get work visas, after which those without work visas would be deported.

"There should be a two-year grace period for illegal immigrants to attain work visas so they can continue contributing to America and begin taking part in American society openly.
Immigrants should be able to bring their families to the US after demonstrating ability to support them financially." - Gary Johnson

- One strike & you're out for legal immigrants who violate terms.

"It should be easier for a potential immigrant to get a work visa.Streamline the legal immigration process to reduce illegal immigration and allow the U.S. to know who enters the country and for what reasons."
Enforce a 'one strike, you're out' rule for immigrants who circumvent the streamlined work visa process.
Impose and enforce sanctions on employers for noncompliance with immigration laws." - Gary Johnson

- Legalize marijuana.
"75% of the border violence with Mexico would go away."- Gary Johnson

Old 05-17-2015, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Over the long term, it might give the GOP a legitimate shot of winning Presidential elections. As it is now, they'll have to achieve near-records of margins in the white vote to win. They're reaching sort of a damned if they do, damned if they don't scenario.

Pollster: GOP Must Nearly Double Share of Non-White Vote to Win White House - Washington Wire - WSJ

Republican Immigration Policies Could Give Democrats A Lock On White House, Says Top GOP Pollster
So in other words the GOP should thumb their noses at our immigration laws for votes even though amnesty isn't in the best interests of the majority of our citizens? WTH does non-white have to do with it? Aren't minorities obligated to respect our immigration laws just like everyone else?

And to address Jeb's remarks we aren't a nation of illegal aliens we are a nation of legal immigrants but the fact is we are actually a nation of Americans today as our citizen population way outnumbers our immigrant population. He's an idiot!

Old 05-17-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
It doesn't. It just encourages more to come, like last time with Reagan.

I did like the stands Gary Johnson/Libertarian candidate (2012) took:

- 2 year grace period for illegals to get work visas, after which those without work visas would be deported.

"There should be a two-year grace period for illegal immigrants to attain work visas so they can continue contributing to America and begin taking part in American society openly.
Immigrants should be able to bring their families to the US after demonstrating ability to support them financially." - Gary Johnson

- One strike & you're out for legal immigrants who violate terms.

"It should be easier for a potential immigrant to get a work visa.Streamline the legal immigration process to reduce illegal immigration and allow the U.S. to know who enters the country and for what reasons."
Enforce a 'one strike, you're out' rule for immigrants who circumvent the streamlined work visa process.
Impose and enforce sanctions on employers for noncompliance with immigration laws." - Gary Johnson

- Legalize marijuana.
"75% of the border violence with Mexico would go away."- Gary Johnson
But allowing any illegal aliens to remain here as Gary Johnson is advocating for and you're agreeing with is still amnesty. We don't need to have any more work visas for unskilled, uneducated and poor illegal aliens. We need the jobs they are holding and they will end up being a net burden to our country just as they are now as low wage earners with many dependents.

No, what we need to do is to remove all of the incentives for them to remain here. Your's and Johnson's plan is what will encourage more to come.

Old 05-17-2015, 02:42 PM

11,986 posts, read 5,335,073 times
Quote:
So in other words the GOP should thumb their noses at our immigration laws for votes even though amnesty isn't in the best interests of the majority of our citizens? WTH does non-white have to do with it? Aren't minorities obligated to respect our immigration laws just like everyone else?

And to address Jeb's remarks we aren't a nation of illegal aliens we are a nation of legal immigrants but the fact is we are actually a nation of Americans today as our citizen population way outnumbers our immigrant population. He's an idiot!
It isn't my intent to start an argument with you. You're free to think what ever you want. My interest in posting has more to do with political war gaming than trying to convert anyone to my view. Actually, I've never stated that I support illegal immigration, only that the increasing Hispanic vote will continue to carry more and more weight, and eventually it will be impossible for a Party to win while losing the fastest growing portions of the electorate by lopsided margins. I've always enjoyed American History, and Presidential Elections are a way of taking the pulse of the nation, sort of a look at Political Sociology. I'm a numbers guy, and whether my side wins or loses, I'm one of those odd ducks that enjoys crunching the numbers, and seeing what they tell us about where we are as a nation, and what future events are most probable based on those trends.

By Whit Ayres' calculations, if the GOP cannot improve on Romney's performance with minorities, they would need 65% of the white vote to win the national popular vote in 2016. By 2020, the growth in the number of minority registered voters will probably push the needed white percentage at least 67 or 68%. Over the long haul, mathematically it's a race that can't be won. Eventually, the percentage of minority vote has to increase, or they'll lose time after time. That's not rhetoric. It's basic math.

What I'm interested in, rather than trading barbs or insults with anyone is, given where the country is and the direction it is going, what's the best path for either side to win a majority of the popular vote and the electoral college both in the short and the long term. What policies or what groups of voters will make the differences in key states? What changes in key states are swinging that state one way or the other? Win or lose, Presidential Elections are living history, and for me at least, it's always interesting.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 05-17-2015 at 02:55 PM..

Old 05-17-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
It isn't my intent to start an argument with you. You're free to think what ever you want. My interest in posting has more to do with political war gaming than trying to convert anyone to my view. Actually, I've never stated that I support illegal immigration, only that the increasing Hispanic vote will continue to carry more and more weight, and eventually it will be impossible for a Party to win while losing the fastest growing portions of the electorate by lopsided margins. I've always enjoyed American History, and Presidential Elections are a way of taking the pulse of the nation, sort of a look at Political Sociology. I'm a numbers guy, and whether my side wins or loses, I'm one of those odd ducks that enjoys crunching the numbers, and seeing what they tell us about where we are as a nation, and what future events are most probable based on those trends.

By Whit Ayres' calculations, if the GOP cannot improve on Romney's performance with minorities, they would need 65% of the white vote to win the national popular vote in 2016. By 2020, the growth in the number of minority registered voters will probably push the needed white percentage at least 67 or 68%. Over the long haul, mathematically it's a race that can't be won. Eventually, the percentage of minority vote has to increase, or they'll lose time after time. That's not rhetoric. It's basic math.

What I'm interested in, rather than trading barbs or insults with anyone is, given where the country is and the direction it is going, what's the best path for either side to win a majority of the popular vote and the electoral college both in the short and the long term. What policies or what groups of voters will make the differences in key states? What changes in key states are swinging that state one way or the other? Win or lose, Presidential Elections are living history, and for me at least, it's always interesting.
So the answer is to give in to anarchy and give away our soveirgnty to a foreign invasion and anti-American citizens who have no respect for our immigration laws? You'd better come up with a better solution to gaining votes then your so-called math that will destroy this country. What about making it mandate that all of our politicians honor our laws on both sides of the aisle or they'll be removed from office? Then this so-called growing demographic wouldn't be pitting each party/candidate against one another to give into their selfish anti-American demands in exchange for their votes.

Old 05-17-2015, 03:24 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,909,190 times
Default Hind sight is 50 /50

Well at the time of GW Bush most democrats were on board and even, Tom Dashel, Polse, Reid Dick Durbin and even Ms. Clinton. The Democratic Congress supported GW and there we went. I agree CIA George Tenet ( Clinton Appointee) gave Bush Distorted Intelligence.

In deed WMD was found, but not on the scale that the CIA thought and many of Saddams Nasty Illegal Weapons were trucked out in the middle of the night, according to Satellite info.

However the Iraq's were shooting at our AC over the no Fly zone and anther action would of happen anyway.

Jeb needs to be mindful, because every word in looked by left wingers trying to disqualify our candidates and make Clinton more tasteful. (like Castor Oil)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections