Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 01:03 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,766,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Having lived under Jeb as governor, my first thoughts were "I could probably be OK with him as President". Then when he announced who some of his foreign policy advisers would be and I saw the name of Paul Wolfowitz among others from the previous Bush eras, my thoughts changed to "Never mind, who else do I look at now".
Wolfowitz and the neocon warmongers, plus amnesty and cheerleading for more mass immigration easily makes Jeb Bush the worst choice America has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 08:30 AM

62,997 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Jeb Bush: Many illegal immigrants come out of an ‘act of love’

Forget that!!!!
I know. WTH is this country coming to when our politicians openly show disrespect for our immigration laws? Why aren't many of them putting the needs of our own citizens first? It just makes me sick at heart.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:02 AM

407 posts, read 389,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I know. WTH is this country coming to when our politicians openly show disrespect for our immigration laws? Why aren't many of them putting the needs of our own citizens first? It just makes me sick at heart.
Because more immigrants means lower labor costs for business, lower prices for consumers, more sales relative to non-US businesses due to competitive pricing, and economic growth. Business owners and shareholders are also our citizens and so are consumers who benefit from lower prices.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:36 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbrown View Post
Because more immigrants means lower labor costs for business, lower prices for consumers, more sales relative to non-US businesses due to competitive pricing, and economic growth. Business owners and shareholders are also our citizens and so are consumers who benefit from lower prices.
That is what they told you. That is what some choose to believe.

This economic rationale for mass immigration is hopelessly short-term. In all fairness, Immigrants do not fill vacancies, they merely inflated the size of the economy and create a bubble, increasing total GDP but not GDP per capita.

I am all for elite skilled immigration, but mass immigration brings very minor (if any) economic benefits and very high social costs.

It is not racism to reject mass immigration from poor third world countries.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:42 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,274,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It is probably better not to take it so personally. I'm sure Reagan did not mean to make people feel bad.

Ronald Reagan amnesty haunts immigration action | MSNBC

Old 06-07-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbrown View Post
Doesn't more "immigrants" equate to fewer jobs for Americans? Anyone with half a brain can figure out the law of supply and demand. Illegal aliens lower wages also and their employers only pass their social costs on to we the consumer/taxpayer not any savings. Besides how can an American benefit from lower prices if his job was taken by an "immigrant". You really need to educate yourself on this subject.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
It is probably better not to take it so personally. I'm sure Reagan did not mean to make people feel bad.

Ronald Reagan amnesty haunts immigration action | MSNBC
Of course it is a personal and national concern when our own politicians don't respect our immigration laws especially when it impacts us all "personally" negatively. If you are trying to be sarcastic about Reagan's amnesty you failed. For one, I opposed his and every other amnesty in the future. At least he didn't bypass congress though as Obama is doing. Reagan actually lived to regret his amnesty and it was only 1/4 the number of illegal aliens that amnesty is being proposed for today. Our politicians/government are obligated to respect and enforce our immigration laws not reward illegal aliens for breaking them.

Doesn't matter what Reagan thought. He shouldn't have done it nor should Obama be trying to do it. Even dumba**ed Bush tried to push one but failed with the outrage from the American people and now his brother Jeb is trying to do the same (calling illegal immigration an act of love made me want to puke). Where is our candidate for the American people for whom they are supposed to represent?

Old 06-07-2015, 09:56 AM

1,733 posts, read 949,348 times
Import cheaper skilled labor that replace American workers; that is what Bush et.al. want for our country. It's happening all over America; why aren't we fighting back?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/us...ents.html?_r=0

While families rode the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and searched for Nemo on clamobiles in the theme parks, these workers monitored computers in industrial buildings nearby, making sure millions of Walt Disney World ticket sales, store purchases and hotel reservations went through without a hitch. Some were performing so well that they thought they had been called in for bonuses.
Instead, about 250 Disney employees were told in late October that they would be laid off. Many of their jobs were transferred to immigrants on temporary visas for highly skilled technical workers, who were brought in by an outsourcing firm based in India. Over the next three months, some Disney employees were required to train their replacements to do the jobs they had lost.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:06 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
That is what they told you. That is what some choose to believe.

This economic rationale for mass immigration is hopelessly short-term. In all fairness, Immigrants do not fill vacancies, they merely inflated the size of the economy and create a bubble, increasing total GDP but not GDP per capita.

I am all for elite skilled immigration, but mass immigration brings very minor (if any) economic benefits and very high social costs.

It is not racism to reject mass immigration from poor third world countries.
with all due respect and to be fair, no one, not even those illegal immigrants here now want more unchecked illegal immigration in the future. And illegal immigration is currently at net zero. Meaning that the amount of illegals entering the country is equal to the amount being deported or leaving at any one time. It's only a right wing talking point, used to inflame the masses against immigrants, who erroneously claim that anybody is for open borders and mass immigration in the future.
The entire immigration issue is about the 11 million who are already here, are established in this country, and have been here for years.
Everyone who proposes comprehensive immigration reform, from both sides of the isle, propose much more sealing off of the border, more visa violation enforcement and a firm system for issuing temporary work permits.
The days of massive illegal immigration flowing into our country are over and have been over for a number of years now. It's only the republican base who need the current system to remain the way it is so they can use it as a wedge issue and a rallying point for their shrinking base. Their only acceptable solution is for illegals to self deport.
Democrats, moderate republicans and true libertarians want the issue of the 11 million solved once and for all while ensuring that the open door policy never happens again.
Right now, non partisan polling shows that 79 % of the nation want comprehensive immigration reform which includes a path to citizenship or permanent legal status. Only 19% (which is the right wing base) are against comprehensive immigration reform.

What Americans Want From Immigration Reform in 2014

At present, 62% of Americans favor providing a way for immigrants who are currently living in the United States illegally to become citizens provided they meet certain requirements, while 17% support allowing them to Immigration-Survey-Cover become permanent legal residents but not citizens, and roughly 1-in-5 (19%) favor a policy that would identify and deport all immigrants living in the United States illegally.

If you don't like that link here's one from Fox.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...ration-reform/

The new poll shows 81 percent of voters want to strengthen border security and stop additional illegal entry into the country.

In addition, 74 percent favor finding a way for the 11 million illegal immigrants already in the country to remain -- and eventually become citizens -- if they meet certain requirements, such as paying back taxes, learning English and passing a background check.

If you don't like that link, there are at least 15 others that say the same thing.
I think Jeb Bush is actually in step with the public sentiment on immigration reform.

Last edited by mohawkx; 06-07-2015 at 10:15 AM..

Old 06-07-2015, 10:34 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,629,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
with all due respect and to be fair, no one, not even those illegal immigrants here now want more unchecked illegal immigration in the future. And illegal immigration is currently at net zero. Meaning that the amount of illegals entering the country is equal to the amount being deported or leaving at any one time. It's only a right wing talking point, used to inflame the masses against immigrants, who erroneously claim that anybody is for open borders and mass immigration in the future.
The entire immigration issue is about the 11 million who are already here, are established in this country, and have been here for years.
Everyone who proposes comprehensive immigration reform, from both sides of the isle, propose much more sealing off of the border, more visa violation enforcement and a firm system for issuing temporary work permits.
The days of massive illegal immigration flowing into our country are over and have been over for a number of years now. It's only the republican base who need the current system to remain the way it is so they can use it as a wedge issue and a rallying point for their shrinking base. Their only acceptable solution is for illegals to self deport.
Democrats, moderate republicans and true libertarians want the issue of the 11 million solved once and for all while ensuring that the open door policy never happens again.
Right now, non partisan polling shows that 79 % of the nation want comprehensive immigration reform which includes a path to citizenship or permanent legal status. Only 19% (which is the right wing base) are against comprehensive immigration reform.

What Americans Want From Immigration Reform in 2014

At present, 62% of Americans favor providing a way for immigrants who are currently living in the United States illegally to become citizens provided they meet certain requirements, while 17% support allowing them to Immigration-Survey-Cover become permanent legal residents but not citizens, and roughly 1-in-5 (19%) favor a policy that would identify and deport all immigrants living in the United States illegally.

If you don't like that link here's one from Fox.

Fox News poll: Voters want immigration reform | Fox News

The new poll shows 81 percent of voters want to strengthen border security and stop additional illegal entry into the country.

In addition, 74 percent favor finding a way for the 11 million illegal immigrants already in the country to remain -- and eventually become citizens -- if they meet certain requirements, such as paying back taxes, learning English and passing a background check.

If you don't like that link, there are at least 15 others that say the same thing.
I think Jeb Bush is actually in step with the public sentiment on immigration reform.
Some conservatives see Bush as pseudo-repeat version of 2012 presidential nominee Mitt Romney — a candidate they were reluctant to back in the 2012 election, before he became the Republican Party's go-to surrogate in this election cycle.

Quite frankly, I personally can care less if he wants to reform immigration law or not.

Ps. I don't know why do you target me in this thread, I merely state what I know about mass immigration. They create an economic bubble and have no long term benefit for the economy as a whole.

I don't ONLY watch fox news for resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections