Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 03:59 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,410,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
See, they really believe that Obama is a moderate.
Not 'they'. My opinions are my own. Don't try lumpage with me, buddy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 05:57 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,774,407 times
Only within the right-wing echo-chamber would either Obama or Hillary be considered "far-left".

Both are center-right corporatists who happen to be a little less heinous than their Republican competition. The fact that this is considered "far left" just shows how insanely far RIGHT our country is right now.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:43 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,382,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Only within the right-wing echo-chamber would either Obama or Hillary be considered "far-left".

Both are center-right corporatists who happen to be a little less heinous than their Republican competition. The fact that this is considered "far left" just shows how insanely far RIGHT our country is right now.
Only within the left wing echo-chamber would it be claimed that anyone is calling Hillary 'far left.' Hillary is not about left nor right, at least since the 1970's. She is about cronyism. Go back to the Travelgate case in 1993. She wanted to get her pals into the travel office slots, and she was willing to ruin a longtime civil servant's life to do it. When Obama asked her to be SOS, she didn't want a foreign policy discussion; her only demand was that she have he power to bring in her friends to fill the state dept slots, to which Obama agreed. Cronyism.

A President Hillary Clinton is going to be more concerned with advancing the interests of Huma Abedin and probably Chelsea Clinton than with any ideological concerns.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:50 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,248,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
She is about cronyism.
So she has moved to the right?!

Old 05-07-2015, 10:55 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,410,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Only within the left wing echo-chamber would it be claimed that anyone is calling Hillary 'far left.' Hillary is not about left nor right, at least since the 1970's. She is about cronyism. Go back to the Travelgate case in 1993. She wanted to get her pals into the travel office slots, and she was willing to ruin a longtime civil servant's life to do it. When Obama asked her to be SOS, she didn't want a foreign policy discussion; her only demand was that she have he power to bring in her friends to fill the state dept slots, to which Obama agreed. Cronyism.

A President Hillary Clinton is going to be more concerned with advancing the interests of Huma Abedin and probably Chelsea Clinton than with any ideological concerns.
Nothing new about cronyism.
Every President I can think of brought some of his long-time advisors and associates with him into office. In fact, I ask if anyone can think of a modern President who did not bring some cronies with him.

How long they stay or how well they do their job is the bigger question. Some of the cronies worked out very well, and others did not. In the end, the job of the Presidency always takes over. The cronies who have the abilities needed for their jobs stay, and the ones who can't perform well leave.

It only makes sense; any person's long-time assistants and associates are going to be those who know a President's work habits, style of conducting meetings, the ways a President makes decisions, and the President's personality. In a job where time is everything, they all help keep any President's full day moving along smoothly.

The first 90 days of a President's term almost always sets the agenda for the next 4 years to come. Very often, the people who help a new President the most in this often leave shortly after that agenda is set and in motion. Many cronies are very successful people on their own and have their own businesses and affairs that need attention, so they only agree to serve for a short time in the beginning.

Cronyism is not by itself a good or bad thing. It all depends on the person who's sitting in the White House. Some cronies are very close personal friends, but those are always very few in number. Most often, a President's closest personal friends never become a member of the White House staff, or hold any position in Washington on their own volition.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:49 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,049,290 times
I think we need some highly progressive moves. Face it this country has 2 options over the next few decades. A radical change through elected officials or a very, VERY violent and hostile revolution. I'd much prefer the prior, which means electing progressives.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:52 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,969,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
I think we need some highly progressive moves. Face it this country has 2 options over the next few decades. A radical change through elected officials or a very, VERY violent and hostile revolution. I'd much prefer the prior, which means electing progressives.
Threats won't work libbies.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:21 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,271,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westboundrambler View Post
Actually, a move to the radical left as you suggest, would be more likely to create more violence not less.

The French Revolution is the ultimate historical precedent, but you don't have to go back that far at all.

I remember 2009, when President Obama was inaugurated, how much joy there was among inner city people who thought their ship had come in and government was going to provide for them so they'd have no more want. Many are now crestfallen, it just didn't happen, couldn't happen, and now urban violence is on the rise big time.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:32 AM
Status: "Let's replace the puppet show with actual leadership." (set 6 days ago)

52,712 posts, read 48,015,353 times
Democrats have been moving further to the left ever since LBJ. They're practically communist in their thinking and ideology. Today's crop of people running for the Democratic ticket are not any more right or center than JFK was, and Obama is the most extremist leftist we've ever had in office to this point. There are no real centrists because, frankly, that mentality is not there.

Old 05-09-2015, 02:48 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,338,220 times
"Why is the Democratic Party Leaning so Far Left/Progressive?"

It is an optical illusion. When you lean so far to the right it just looks that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections