Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 04:54 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,609,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Two problems with this theory.

Vast numbers of ex-Democrats no longer consider themselves Democrats. Of course the few who are left are going to look at Hillary favorably. They have nothing left.

As someone pointed out earlier, just because someone has an unfavorable view of a politician, doesn't mean they won't vote for them. It depends upon who they are running against. When they ask people who they will actually vote for in Trump vs Clinton, Trump wins. So case closed on that.

The grade school comment is just insult. It doesn't do anything to support your theory.
Vast number of Republicans no longer consider themselves Republicans either. This little factoid seems always to be left out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Really? How many have left & when did they leave?

I'm interested in seeing your source, because this certainly doesn't support your claim:

Party Affiliation | Gallup Historical Trends
Well, you know. Just "vast'. Don't look too deep.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:13 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,753,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Really? How many have left & when did they leave?

I'm interested in seeing your source, because this certainly doesn't support your claim:
I'm not sure that even addresses what I said. People may think they are being asked about party registration. Not if they actually vote the party.

But if you are truly interested instead of googling up a link to try and prove me wrong, then read this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...itical-future/
The more surprising trend is that Republicans are gaining dramatically among a group that had tilted toward Democrats in 2006 and 2008: Call them middle-class Americans. These are voters who generally work in what economist Stephen Rose has called "the office economy." In exit polling, they can roughly be identified as those who have college — but not postgraduate — degrees and those whose household incomes are between $50,000 and $100,000.

The defection of these voters — who, unlike the white working class, are a growing part of the electorate — is genuinely bad news for Democrats, and very good news indeed for Republicans. The question, of course, is whether it is going to continue. It's tough to say for sure, but I think there is a case to be made that it will.
This of course was reflected in the exit polling of the the last 3 elections (2010, 2012, 2014) in ever increasing amounts.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:48 PM

42,885 posts, read 26,474,358 times
Quote:
I'm not sure that even addresses what I said. People may think they are being asked about party registration. Not if they actually vote the party.
But if you are truly interested instead of googling up a link to try and prove me wrong, then read this.
I read it, it's an opinion piece in which the author in one case provides evidence for his assertions by posting a link to another of his own opinion articles. I prefer real polling data. Here are some 'opinions' that disagree with the opinion that you are using as a basis for your claim:

Up to One-Third Of Republicans Ready To Leave The Party, Fed Up With Spineless Sellout Leadership ⋆ UFP NEWS

https://politicalwire.com/2015/06/20...ublican-party/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/07/24/republican-party-image-
decline_n_7864092.html

But again, those are for the most part nothing more than opinions, and you know what the say about opinions...

Old 02-19-2016, 01:22 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,141,937 times
All right, I stayed away for a bit, letting things develop, but its time for an update:

1) Hillary Clinton barely "won" Iowa in questionable fashion, relying on six coin flips. More tan a few Dems thik the fix was in.

2) Sanders trounced her in New Hampshire even ore greatly than expected.

3) Nevada is neck and neck

Gravis2/14 - 2/15516 LV4.05347Clinton +6CNN/ORC2/10 - 2/15282 LV6.54847Clinton +1TargetPoint (R)2/8 - 2/101236 LV2.94545Tie

4) A new poll has Sanders up nationally. Yes, I get that it is Fox news, but:

FOX News2/15 - 2/17429 LV4.54447Sanders +3

A new poll suggests she loses to Trump:

USA Today/Suffolk2/11 - 2/151000 LV3.04345Trump +2

Just ditch the witch. No one wants her.

Old 02-19-2016, 01:55 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,243,199 times
Quote:

The more surprising trend is that Republicans are gaining dramatically among a group that had tilted toward Democrats in 2006 and 2008: Call them middle-class Americans. These are voters who generally work in what economist Stephen Rose has called "the office economy." In exit polling, they can roughly be identified as those who have college — but not postgraduate — degrees and those whose household incomes are between $50,000 and $100,000.

The defection of these voters — who, unlike the white working class, are a growing part of the electorate — is genuinely bad news for Democrats, and very good news indeed for Republicans. The question, of course, is whether it is going to continue. It's tough to say for sure, but I think there is a case to be made that it will.
This of course was reflected in the exit polling of the the last 3 elections (2010, 2012, 2014) in ever increasing amounts.

I have told you this before; for the first time in our 68/69 years my wife and I are now Republicans. We are not Republicans because we want government to shut down PP, tell people who they can or cannot marry, or to put the Bible back in our schools and institutions. We are simply Republicans so that we can vote for Trump in this coming Primary.

If the Republicans or Democrats do not get back to their primary responsibility of protecting and serving the majority of the people that put them in office; we do not want any part of them. I am not looking for any party to stamp on the toes of the minorities; but I do expect our Country to take care of our Country first and not the rest of the world.

Our Country has opened it's arms to immigrants from around the world. It will continue to do so because we do need the skills of many. But there should always be a check and balance system; we need our wages to grow so that we can help support others. Our wages, in the private sector, have been stagnant since the 1970's - the current model is not working. We desperately need change and not just the lip service of 'expert' politicians.

Hopefully the primary in SC today will set the stage and point us in the right direction.

Old 02-19-2016, 06:38 AM

235 posts, read 308,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its funny when they turn it around into Hillary being the best we have, and we know it.

Folks....she beats ALL of the "best" you have. Think about that.

As I have stated elsewhere, Sec. Clinton is a felon... Those who disagree or choose to look the other way are oblivious of the Federal laws pertaining to the storing and safeguarding of protected and classified government material. If we had an impartial Justice Department, Sec. Clinton would be well on her way to Federal Prison right now.

Right wing conspiracy you say? Ok… Then you must believe a right wing operative set up a private email server in the Clinton’s bathroom closet and then forced Sec. Clinton to use private email accounts for all of her State Department email communication. Maybe it was G. Gordon Liddy!!!!

As a former “Regan Democrat” I am appalled that Sec. Clinton is receiving any support from Democrats or the Democratic Party. Why in God’s name would they want her as their candidate for President?

Last edited by Semperparatus!; 02-19-2016 at 06:48 AM..

Old 02-19-2016, 06:47 AM

2,973 posts, read 1,985,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
All right, I stayed away for a bit, letting things develop, but its time for an update:

1) Hillary Clinton barely "won" Iowa in questionable fashion, relying on six coin flips. More tan a few Dems thik the fix was in.

2) Sanders trounced her in New Hampshire even ore greatly than expected.

3) Nevada is neck and neck

Gravis2/14 - 2/15516 LV4.05347Clinton +6CNN/ORC2/10 - 2/15282 LV6.54847Clinton +1TargetPoint (R)2/8 - 2/101236 LV2.94545Tie

4) A new poll has Sanders up nationally. Yes, I get that it is Fox news, but:

FOX News2/15 - 2/17429 LV4.54447Sanders +3

A new poll suggests she loses to Trump:

USA Today/Suffolk2/11 - 2/151000 LV3.04345Trump +2

Just ditch the witch. No one wants her.
1. It was purely rumor that Hillary won all the coin tosses. It's confirmed by the DNC that Bernie won several coin tosses.
No, Hillary Clinton did not win Iowa because of a coin flip - CNNPolitics.com
So Apparently Sanders Won A Few Coin Tosses in Iowa, Too - Christine Rousselle

2. Cnn entrance polls show Hillary (49.13%) with a lead over sanders (45.44%)
It was likely O'Malley's supporters who drew the race closer.

3. The final and adjudicated results released on Sunday confirmed Hillary as the winner of the Iowa caucuses.[,

Old 02-19-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semperparatus! View Post
As I have stated elsewhere, Sec. Clinton is a felon... Those who disagree or choose to look the other way are oblivious of the Federal laws pertaining to the storing and safeguarding of protected and classified government material. If we had an impartial Justice Department, Sec. Clinton would be well on her way to Federal Prison right now.

Right wing conspiracy you say? Ok… Then you must believe a right wing operative set up a private email server in the Clinton’s bathroom closet and then forced Sec. Clinton to use private email accounts for all of her State Department email communication. Maybe it was G. Gordon Liddy!!!!

As a former “Regan Democrat” I am appalled that Sec. Clinton is receiving any support from Democrats or the Democratic Party. Why in God’s name would they want her as their candidate for President?

Really? When they arrest Bush and Cheney for war crimes; then I'll give you a bit more consideration.

Old 02-19-2016, 09:23 PM

24,522 posts, read 33,400,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Really? When they arrest Bush and Cheney for war crimes; then I'll give you a bit more consideration.
Bush and Cheney won't be arrested for war crimes because they did not commit any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections