Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 01:24 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,934,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I think the chance of winning national elections becomes extremely difficult as time moves on. Unless the Republican Party can nominate a younger and charismatic figure (the "savior" Scott Walker is one of the least charismatic people I've ever seen, right up there with Ben Carson, so he doesn't fit that critera) and someone who isn't for foreign entanglements and constant war (Rand Paul fits this description although he's known to be wishy-washy), they at least have a shot in 2016. But the GOP has so much other baggage that these two things alone doesn't equal instant success.

As usual, I think Republicans will continue to win local and state elections for the next several years. But on the national level, I think their spotlight is diminishing unless they make drastic changes.
The local and state races are the only thing that will give the Republicans time, similar to the Democrats of the 1980's. The issue is that the Republican brand is too in the past and not progressing to where the nation is now and where it will be in four years. I think 2016, they need a miracle or a disaster to win, 2020 though will be the year to watch. The last time a political party lost four straight races was the New Deal Democrat era from 1932 through 1948. It didn't kill the Republicans but again forced them to change and not want to go against new deal ideals like say a Robert Taft or later Barry Goldwater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 02:56 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,270,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The last time a political party lost four straight races was the New Deal Democrat era from 1932 through 1948. It didn't kill the Republicans but again forced them to change and not want to go against new deal ideals like say a Robert Taft or later Barry Goldwater.
The Republicans nominated all moderates and progressives during that string of defeats.

The "Great Humanitarian" Hoover, Landon, Willkie and Dewey twice. Not a conservative in the bunch. General Eisenhower was cut from the same cloth, he only won the presidency because he won the war.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,934,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The Republicans nominated all moderates and progressives during that string of defeats.

The "Great Humanitarian" Hoover, Landon, Willkie and Dewey twice. Not a conservative in the bunch. General Eisenhower was cut from the same cloth, he only won the presidency because he won the war.
Perhaps but Reagan was the only "true" conservative to win an election since then and some will say he wasn't conservative enough today. Nixon, Eisenhower and both Bushes were moderates. Sure moderates lost but there haven't been a lot of conservatives chosen. What two to every other election cycle? The nation seldom wants a conservative despite what conservatives think.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:35 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,674,761 times
Quote:

Proves the fact that even republicans don't like right wing conservatives.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:51 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,893,324 times
Default Sticking to the Issues.

The GOP , need to stay on Economic Pro growth for real jobs? Not to be confused with a Coffee Technician from Starbucks.
Many of the problem we have seen the root cause is not racial, it Economics. In Baltimore is Controlled by Dem's and minorities'. Baltimore has 17% . Detroit, Chicago, Ferguson has the same issue and President Obama and the Dem's have not yet improved the quality of life for these hard working Americans.
Control Gov and Spending. Come on 18 trillion dollars and the left thinks we do not have a problem. We lost our AAA Credit rating because of the Controlled Democratic Senate and House and President Obama.

The Issues are big and Dem's turn there attention to Gay Marriage and Feeling? Crazy! These are none issue.

Now the GOP is in Control of Both house we are seeing progressive budget cutting and Blackburn from Ok had a great ideal. Any Budget surplus of Gov. Departments should go to Veterans. Not trips to Ha. or Vegas like the GOA does.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:07 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,674,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
The GOP , need to stay on Economic Pro growth for real jobs? Not to be confused with a Coffee Technician from Starbucks.
Many of the problem we have seen the root cause is not racial, it Economics. In Baltimore is Controlled by Dem's and minorities'. Baltimore has 17% . Detroit, Chicago, Ferguson has the same issue and President Obama and the Dem's have not yet improved the quality of life for these hard working Americans.
Control Gov and Spending. Come on 18 trillion dollars and the left thinks we do not have a problem. We lost our AAA Credit rating because of the Controlled Democratic Senate and House and President Obama.

The Issues are big and Dem's turn there attention to Gay Marriage and Feeling? Crazy! These are none issue.

Now the GOP is in Control of Both house we are seeing progressive budget cutting and Blackburn from Ok had a great ideal. Any Budget surplus of Gov. Departments should go to Veterans. Not trips to Ha. or Vegas like the GOA does.
Really? I'm a veteran who requires regular treatments from the VA and republicans have done nothing for veterans but pay lip service and obstruct any and every program for veterans. This is the way it's been since 1971 when I was discharged.

GOP Voted Against 7 Bills to Help Veterans
GOP's actual track record on supporting veterans
Senate rejects far-reaching Veterans Affairs bill - The Washington Post

Senate GOP Obstructionists Throw Veterans Under The Bus-Vote Down Bill To Help Vets In Need Of Jobs
Senate GOP Obstructionists Throw Veterans Under The Bus-Vote Down Bill To Help Vets In Need Of Jobs

GOP blocks veterans bill | TheHill
Senate Republicans stopped Democrats from advancing a bill that would have expanded healthcare and education programs for veterans.

Perhaps if you keep repeating the lie that republicans are on the side of Veterans, someday, people will actually believe it. I know Veterans don't.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:27 PM

4,585 posts, read 3,415,058 times
By 2020, if the state hydrologist predictions hold true, could find the "blue" areas of CA uninhabitable. I wonder how much liberal lamenting will occur is CA completes it's 2020 census, them looses half their population, mostly blue.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:07 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,270,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Proves the fact that even republicans don't like right wing conservatives.
Well, maybe they should.

Conservatives Harding, Coolidge and Reagan all won easily in massive landslides when the GOP saw fit to give those men the nomination.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:15 AM

63,001 posts, read 29,210,493 times
How can you be a Republican and not be a conservative right? That's like saying you can't be a Democrat and be a lefty. I guess the new progressive thought process in this nation is to be ok with killing babies, advocating for marriage between same sex couples (that makes you supposedly a hater even if you don't hate gays and are ok with a civil union for them) and are ok with the invasion of our nation by illegal aliens. Now that's the left wing liberal mindset. No thanks, I'll remain a right wing conservative then.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:59 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,223,587 times
Quote:
Well, maybe they should.

Conservatives Harding, Coolidge and Reagan all won easily in massive landslides when the GOP saw fit to give those men the nomination.
All three would be considered moderates by today's right wing standards. But please do pick a true conservative so that when this true conservative loses the election, you can't blame it on them being a moderate or a progressive or a liberal or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections