Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 10:26 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,894,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Really? I'm a veteran who requires regular treatments from the VA and republicans have done nothing for veterans but pay lip service and obstruct any and every program for veterans. This is the way it's been since 1971 when I was discharged.

GOP Voted Against 7 Bills to Help Veterans
GOP's actual track record on supporting veterans
Senate rejects far-reaching Veterans Affairs bill - The Washington Post

Senate GOP Obstructionists Throw Veterans Under The Bus-Vote Down Bill To Help Vets In Need Of Jobs
Senate GOP Obstructionists Throw Veterans Under The Bus-Vote Down Bill To Help Vets In Need Of Jobs

GOP blocks veterans bill | TheHill
Senate Republicans stopped Democrats from advancing a bill that would have expanded healthcare and education programs for veterans.

Perhaps if you keep repeating the lie that republicans are on the side of Veterans, someday, people will actually believe it. I know Veterans don't.
This a little off topic , but your findings if these stories have merit is troublesome. But Blackburn's idea is an ideal that holds merit.
The Dem's on the other had has not helped things along just as well. The question is there funding for these programs? This would come to pay if Blackburn's redirected revenue could fund these programs instead of spending money that we do not have.

But The GOP Candidates, need to address directly with a solution.
That is how they will win at the end of the day.
I do see dem's proposing anything except the dug in defense of Hillary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 11:55 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,941,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
How can you be a Republican and not be a conservative right? That's like saying you can't be a Democrat and be a lefty. I guess the new progressive thought process in this nation is to be ok with killing babies, advocating for marriage between same sex couples (that makes you supposedly a hater even if you don't hate gays and are ok with a civil union for them) and are ok with the invasion of our nation by illegal aliens. Now that's the left wing liberal mindset. No thanks, I'll remain a right wing conservative then.
Conservatism: small government but very intrusive in the bedroom. I know I am going to pul a Scotsman here but any true conservative would know that small government continues into the bedroom whether it is who you have sex with or if you abort your fetus. Actually I don't get it because don't some conservatives chant "If you can't feed them, don't breed them." So long as conservatism is tied to social issues, we won't see a conservative White House because the Christian right isn't as strong as it was under Reagan and dare I say, we are more accepting than we were twenty years ago.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:01 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,676,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
This a little off topic , but your findings if these stories have merit is troublesome. But Blackburn's idea is an ideal that holds merit.
The Dem's on the other had has not helped things along just as well. The question is there funding for these programs? This would come to pay if Blackburn's redirected revenue could fund these programs instead of spending money that we do not have.

Thanks for the measured and reasonable response.

My view is that republicans always seem to have the money to fund a war and send us over there.......somewhere........... but when it comes time to take care of the veterans afterwards, they always claim there's no money.

But you're right, that's a topic for another thread.

Old 05-16-2015, 01:44 PM

63,015 posts, read 29,223,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post

From what I understand the GOP sought to eliminate waste in regards to our veteran's programs. But of course the Dems as usual will spin it their way. If the Dems are so concerned about helping our veterans then why don't they stop funding illegal aliens?

Old 05-16-2015, 01:45 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,064,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORION83 View Post
I just ran the numbers and even if I give the GOP Iowa,North Carolina,Ohio and Florida you still lose so help me figure this out here.....I am assuming Kasich the governor of Ohio will either run as president OR be a pretty good moderate swing state choice for VP....so as an independent I am all ears on how the numbers help yall...also let me add EVEN if you give the GOP Colorado its still right at 270 for the democrats.

Can the GOP swing Wisconsin? Virginia? I don't see Va happening but Wisconsin DID elect,re elect and saved a governor who is GOP from recall so...what if you get a Walker/Kasich ticket? Work? No?
Wasn't Virginia the surprise state during the midterms. Wasn't there a Republican who came out of nowhere to win or almost win a sure seat for the Dems. Gillespie, wasn't it, for Senator?

I just found it:

"There has been very strong turnout among conservative portions of the electorate, specifically white evangelicals. These voters comprised 28 percent of the electorate today, five points higher than in 2012. Additionally, older Virginia voters--54 percent of whom voted for GOP nominee Mitt Romney in 2012-- increased their share of the electorate by seven points. The close race is surprising partly because of Warner's popularity. Fifty-six percent of today's voters said they have a favorable view of Warner, compared to only just 48 percent who said the same of Gillespie."

2014 Midterm Elections: Virginia Senate race closer than expected - CBS News

So, Virginia's Republican made a Democrat "sure thing" a lot closer for the Republicans by getting evangelicals and older people interested enough to turn out and vote in Virginia in a midterm. This is what conservatives keep telling the Republican Machine and their support of Democrat-Lite candidates. If you don't give us someone to make us turn out on Election Day, you'll keep losing. Virginia is doable with the right candidate.

Northern Virginia has all of those government employees and government contractors that vote their paycheck.

I donated money to the Kasich campaign the first time he ran for governor. I don't see both Walker and Kasich on the same ticket. It's just geography.

I think The Machine is pushing Rubio and Bush. I don't trust either one of them to secure the border and Rubio needs to run something, in my opinion.

I'd prefer someone at the top of the ticket who has run something over any Senator. I've got nothing against the senators but I want someone with some type of executive experience. Then I assess how they did in that position. I notice the pundits keep calling Carson a surgeon even though he headed a department. I'm dismayed that he doesn't bring up his department head experience more often.

I'm not supporting anyone until I see who makes it to my primary.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:46 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,941,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
From what I understand the GOP sought to eliminate waste in regards to our veteran's programs. But of course the Dems as usual will spin it their way. If the Dems are so concerned about helping our veterans then why don't they stop funding illegal aliens?
Two different issues, the only link is the budget restriction which when running the deficit in the budget, what's the difference between another say 1 billion on top of a several hundred billion accumulated each year? We need to pay both off with interest down the road because nobody wants to raise taxes and cutting budgets was what got into this mess of the VA issues AND illegals coming in and wasting tax payer money through fraud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections