Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 11:40 AM

8,549 posts, read 10,973,619 times

Advertisements

Not that anyone needs to know what I think, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know this country is in deep trouble, especially on a global scale.
Along comes this (what many call a loudmouth) man, who for once is willing to take the bull by the horns, and get cracking on fixing this country, and many don't believe he can.
We have all heard Trump say what is wrong with the country, and that he intends to fix it.
What has been lacking is just how he intends(if elected) to fix it.

Now, I can't speak for Mr.Trump, but on a couple of subjects, this is what I feel he is going to do.
He has stated "I will be the greatest jobs President this country has ever seen".
We are talking Americans going back to work, not foreign workers.
Many of you on this forum are much to young to know anything about government providing jobs for it's citizens.
Years ago, there was a program funded by the federal government , known as the W.P.A.
That program took people who were out of work, and employed them to build roads, bridges, tunnels, waterways etc, and did indeed get people back to work.
The income tax paid to the government by these workers helped to fund the program.
I believe Mr.Trump has this in mind when he says he will get people back to work.

This is just one of the ideas he is perhaps kicking around.

Next, on immigration, I believe he will, through executive order, instruct all states to call up their national guard, and round up all those illegally in the country.
This will be a daunting task, but, I believe under trump's watch, it will be done.
His administration will adopt plans for a guest worker policy, as well as new policies to speed up legal immigration to this country.

As for China, Japan, Mexico trade deficits, he will do away with , again by executive order, NAFTA.
An increase in tariffs will almost certainly make it impossible for foreign nations to continue business as usual with regard to imports.

Now the products will be made in this country by Americans, and for Americans.
This will put many more people to work.
We don't need the market flooded with more Toyotas, Hondas, or Kias.
We need American made , not imported vehicles , in this country.
There are many, many more policy changes coming if he is elected, but these are just a few.

Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2015, 11:48 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
The "back to work" plan sounds like The Stimulus roundly condemned by the right,.

Yes, Trump will be America' greatest executive order President/tyrant.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:02 PM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post

We don't need the market flooded with more Toyotas, Hondas, or Kias.
We need American made , not imported vehicles , in this country.
There are many, many more policy changes coming if he is elected, but these are just a few.

Bob.
Then ask ford to make the cars in America, not Mexico. Do you know how many jobs these Japanese car makers create in America? Reason being: Japanese labors are expensive too cuz Japan is first world country.

You have to make America investor friendly.

I do agree, however, Japan should import more American goods.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:43 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
The WPA was a good system. My grandfather worked on it during the depression. All sorts of things were built during that program and the craftsmanship was often outstanding. In New England you can still see all kinds of buildings, bridges, etc. that were made of stone, a readily available building supply. One Little League stadium I visited was incredibly charming with a stone dugout and bleachers - surrounded by walls of amazing stonework. Lots of state parks were worked on as well, with paths cut, steps inserted and outbuildings created from stone.

Would a modern day WPA yield the same results? I don't think we have the same level of craftsmanship today, and as much as I hate to admit it - the same level of work ethic.

Trump is a good businessman, but when it comes to governing an entire country, you can't pick the best and brightest like you can in business. You must deal with people of all types. He is on the money when it comes to what is needed. It will be interesting to see if he has any concrete ideas that will yield results.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:44 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,171,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
The WPA was a good system. My grandfather worked on it during the depression. All sorts of things were built during that program and the craftsmanship was often outstanding. In New England you can still see all kinds of buildings, bridges, etc. that were made of stone, a readily available building supply. One Little League stadium I visited was incredibly charming with a stone dugout and bleachers - surrounded by walls of amazing stonework. Lots of state parks were worked on as well, with paths cut, steps inserted and outbuildings created from stone.

Would a modern day WPA yield the same results? I don't think we have the same level of craftsmanship today, and as much as I hate to admit it - the same level of work ethic.

Trump is a good businessman, but when it comes to governing an entire country, you can't pick the best and brightest like you can in business. You must deal with people of all types. He is on the money when it comes to what is needed. It will be interesting to see if he has any concrete ideas that will yield results.
Why train men to work in such trades when they'll lose their job to an illegal immigrant once they are off the government payroll?

Old 08-09-2015, 12:49 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Why train men to work in such trades when they'll lose their job to an illegal immigrant once they are off the government payroll?
Haven't you heard? Unlike every other candidate we've ever had for POTUS, Trump tells us he'll solve all our problems.

Last edited by burdell; 08-09-2015 at 01:04 PM..

Old 08-09-2015, 12:54 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
Republicans campaign on smaller government, not larger government. If we had a WPA, that would be larger government, so it just ain't gonna happen. The only place Republicans want to add jobs is in the military, and there are even Republicans who don't want that.

Old 08-09-2015, 12:56 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
Trump would quickly find out that he can't work with the Senate or Congress. He would start issuing many many executive orders, more than any President ever because Trump is going to use what works. He's not going to play games with the Senate or Congress.

Republicans will want to impeach him but they won't be able to because he's in their party. Dems will have no control at all.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:01 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
As for China, Japan, Mexico trade deficits, he will do away with , again by executive order, NAFTA.
An increase in tariffs will almost certainly make it impossible for foreign nations to continue business as usual with regard to imports.
Your plan would result in shortages, increased prices, and a decrease in exports. Short and medium term pain for possibly/maybe/hopefully long term gain.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:06 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Republicans campaign on smaller government, not larger government. If we had a WPA, that would be larger government, so it just ain't gonna happen.
They may campaign on smaller government but have they ever actually accomplished it when given the chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
The only place Republicans want to add jobs is in the military, and there are even Republicans who don't want that.
Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections