Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 02:24 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
For the record, WSJ is owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp, which also owns Fox. Don't believe you'll see the WSJ editorial board coming out in favor of Trump, at least not if they want to stay in Rupert's good graces.
Rupet Murdoch could care less. All he is concerned about is selling media to consumers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 06:25 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Rupet Murdoch could care less. All he is concerned about is selling media to consumers.
I take it you are unfamiliar with News Corp's lobbying activity in the US, it's constantly changing editorial policy overseas, and Murdoch's personal distaste for Trump. Two weeks ago he tweeted his desire to see Bloomberg jump in to counter Trump.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:45 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
A good bit of what she wrote about the Latin/Hispanic vote is true. Her anecdote is from New York, she would get a different read from LA or Nevada or Florida or even Texas. Hispanic/Latins are NOT a "bloc", just as the man said - many fought long and hard to become voting citizens of the USA. They understand very well the danger of the Narco Gangs and Criminals that have invaded the USA. I know the Media and the Leftists chant non-stop about the Hispanic vote going to the Left in droves - but Hispanics are not sheep like the Black community is, and they won't ever be. They certainly have their Radical Groups with LOUD voices, but they don't speak for all of them - there is no Hispanic/Latin Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson.

My main takeaways on this article are .....

More than half of the American people believe “something has changed, our democracy is not like it used to be, people feel they no longer have a voice.”

Mr. Miller added: “People who work for a living are thinking this thing is broken, and that economic inequality is the result of the elite rigging the system for themselves. We’re seeing something big.”
___
An odd thing, in my observation, is that deep down the elite themselves also think the game is rigged. They don’t disagree, and they don’t like what they see—corruption, shallowness and selfishness in the systems all around them. Their odd anguish is that they have no faith the American people can—or will—do anything to turn it around. They see the American voter as distracted, poorly educated, subject to emotional and personality-driven political adventures.

Sanders, Warren and Clinton (basically all Far Leftists) think the "Elite" is Wall Street CEO's and Bankers -- but regular Folks (the Silent Majority) see the Rampant Corruption in our Government - and while those CEO's/Bankers are certainly part of that "Elite", we understand that the worst group of all are the Politicians that RUN the Government and the Media. The constant LIES and constant Scandals have taken a tole - Foreign Policy is a mess. People know that.

Trump is actually saying (often very crudely) what MANY, MANY people are thinking.

Mr. Trump is absolutely touching nerves. Nerves that the political professionals are afraid to address because they are terrified of the national media (the group that they feel drives the "jaywalking voter"). I'm glad to see someone who will actually speak "truth to power" when the power is the professional political class and their pilot fish.
It's way too early to get your shorts all wadded up about Trump, but I think she is right about the Country being in play.

I don't take this column as any kind of "endorsement" for Trump - I also am a bit fascinated to see his effect on people and I certainly don't "endorse" him. His greatest strength is that he is not afraid of the Media - every other Candidate's greatest weakness is that they are Terrified of the Media and more worried about their Career than they are about this Nation.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:08 AM

2,345 posts, read 1,669,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
A good bit of what she wrote about the Latin/Hispanic vote is true. Her anecdote is from New York, she would get a different read from LA or Nevada or Florida or even Texas. Hispanic/Latins are NOT a "bloc", just as the man said - many fought long and hard to become voting citizens of the USA. They understand very well the danger of the Narco Gangs and Criminals that have invaded the USA. I know the Media and the Leftists chant non-stop about the Hispanic vote going to the Left in droves - but Hispanics are not sheep like the Black community is, and they won't ever be. They certainly have their Radical Groups with LOUD voices, but they don't speak for all of them - there is no Hispanic/Latin Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson.

My main takeaways on this article are .....

More than half of the American people believe “something has changed, our democracy is not like it used to be, people feel they no longer have a voice.”

Mr. Miller added: “People who work for a living are thinking this thing is broken, and that economic inequality is the result of the elite rigging the system for themselves. We’re seeing something big.”
___
An odd thing, in my observation, is that deep down the elite themselves also think the game is rigged. They don’t disagree, and they don’t like what they see—corruption, shallowness and selfishness in the systems all around them. Their odd anguish is that they have no faith the American people can—or will—do anything to turn it around. They see the American voter as distracted, poorly educated, subject to emotional and personality-driven political adventures.

Sanders, Warren and Clinton (basically all Far Leftists) think the "Elite" is Wall Street CEO's and Bankers -- but regular Folks (the Silent Majority) see the Rampant Corruption in our Government - and while those CEO's/Bankers are certainly part of that "Elite", we understand that the worst group of all are the Politicians that RUN the Government and the Media. The constant LIES and constant Scandals have taken a tole - Foreign Policy is a mess. People know that.

Trump is actually saying (often very crudely) what MANY, MANY people are thinking.

Mr. Trump is absolutely touching nerves. Nerves that the political professionals are afraid to address because they are terrified of the national media (the group that they feel drives the "jaywalking voter"). I'm glad to see someone who will actually speak "truth to power" when the power is the professional political class and their pilot fish.
It's way too early to get your shorts all wadded up about Trump, but I think she is right about the Country being in play.

I don't take this column as any kind of "endorsement" for Trump - I also am a bit fascinated to see his effect on people and I certainly don't "endorse" him. His greatest strength is that he is not afraid of the Media - every other Candidate's greatest Wois that they are Terrified of the Media and more worried about their Career than they are about this Nation.

Wow Wow WOW, I can't describe how Heartening IT IS to SEE at least one more 'warm brain' living human being ...Get's It.

I actually rate your ABOVE Analysis equal too....even More precise, accurate...than the exceptional piece by PEGGY NOONAN.

The following commentary is where you NAIL IT..=> but regular Folks (the Silent Majority) see the Rampant Corruption in our Government - and while those CEO's/Bankers are certainly part of that "Elite", we understand that the worst group of all are the Politicians that RUN the Government and the Media. The constant LIES and constant Scandals have taken a tole - Foreign Policy is a mess. People know that.

There is NO DOUBT about this fact....The bought and paid for hired hacks in and of the CORRUPT National media, namely, the TV Networks, MSNBC, CNN, FOXNEWS, CBS, NBC, etc., as well as most all the Print media, have and are leading the vast majority of deceived, ignorant Sheeple, directly into the Sea, to Drown.

Just wish a few, no many more, UNDERSTOOD that Fact. Sadly, they don't....or simply don't say so.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:43 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
I take it you are unfamiliar with News Corp's lobbying activity in the US, it's constantly changing editorial policy overseas, and Murdoch's personal distaste for Trump. Two weeks ago he tweeted his desire to see Bloomberg jump in to counter Trump.
Oh don't even try the "you more ignorant than me" response. It only means that you don't know what you are talking about.

In regards to lobbying, please name one national news outlet that doesn't do this.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:06 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
It's easy to see why Trump appeals to the GOP electorate. In the past several campaign cycles, the Pubs have made all kinds of promises to their voters, and then failed to follow through. The conservative base is fed up with bold talk and then all they get is silly govt shut-downs, unending investigations that lead nowhere, an economy stifled by gridlock, and now calls from GOP officeholders for another mideast war.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:08 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
ZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZzzzzzz

Old 08-30-2015, 10:32 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times
Let's see:

Quote:
My friend Cesar works the deli counter at my neighborhood
grocery store. He is Dominican, an immigrant, early 50s, and listens
most mornings to a local Hispanic radio station, La Mega, on 97.9 FM.

He added, “We don’t bloc vote anymore.”
OK, so a 50-year old immigrant Dominican deli counter guy slicing cold cuts for living is going to use term "bloc vote". 99% of Americans don't use that term, and most of them don't even know what the word "bloc" means. Puh-lease.

How are polls consistently showing that Mr. Trump has between 65-75% unfavorability rating among Hispanic voters? Of course, this imaginary deli clerk can be within the other 25-35% who like, or are indifferent about, Mr. Trump. But if he is in the minority on the spectrum, he should not be used as an example of being representative of Hispanic views (ironic!).

But this article, based on few anonymous persons who may or may not exist outside of Ms. Noonan's head, is anecdotal at best. Her theory fleshed out with non-existent characters. Bloc voting. OK.

Mick

Old 08-30-2015, 11:35 AM

2,345 posts, read 1,669,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Let's see:

OK, so a 50-year old immigrant Dominican deli counter guy slicing cold cuts for living is going to use term "bloc vote".

Mick

LOL Please continue your amusing shill spin comments. Ludicrous can be entertaining, I've realized.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:56 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
You are 7 years behind, pal. BTW, Palin may wind up being Trump's Veep.
Oh God, heaven forbid. There was a time I liked Palin, I still like some of her ideas but a Trump/Palin ticket would kill the party for good. Let's get real. I know you support Trump, and that is fine, but if he were to get the nomination the last thing he needs is Palin on the ticket.

I also have always liked Peggy Noonan, but don't agree with all she has to say, especially lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections