Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 11:42 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,408,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
Blame dumbed-down America on the right-wing disinformation media.

Lying for God and country for more than 40 years!

Right-wing disinformation media?

Do tell....

Immigration Reform - America's Voice

America Coming Together - SourceWatch

American Family Voices

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...03388427,d.dmo

http://www.googleadservices.com/page...ourfuture.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 11:47 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,605,839 times
Your really really stretching it but that's the usual with people who are trying to be right...
Again marriage isn't in the Constitution so there is nothing to "catch up on" as you stated.

It should have been left as a civil union and benefits be given but each state should have been allowed to do as it pleased that is the constitutional way but the supreme court has been making up laws for a while now but the left hates the constitution unless they get to use it to their benefit.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:16 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,907,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

Funny the false assumptions you're making about me but I'm simply defending our nation's core values here. No religious test for political office. Done.

You don't get to choose what parts of the Constitution this nation upholds.
That doesn't mean that an individual can't take a candidate's religion in to account when deciding not to vote for them, and that's all Carson was saying, is that HE wouldn't vote for or advocate putting a Muslim in the White House. There are no Constitutional issues or affronts to our nations core values here.
Quote:
Ben Carson's initial comment was fine - it was just who he would personally vote for. The problem came with his subsequent defense of that comment, which you apparently missed, that did call for legal restrictions on Muslims from running for president.

He even said they should be required to sign a form promising not to practice Sharia law.

I have no interest in Sharia law, of course, but I do take issue with Dr. Carson demanding a religious test in direct violation of the Constitution.
I musta missed that.... Have a link?

Old 09-23-2015, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Because he brought the constitution into the conversation, if he just indicated he didn't want a Muslim president that would be one thing. He indicated that in his opinion no Muslim should be president because their religion is not aligned with the constitution.
HE brought the Constitution in to it because it's a part of why HE doesn't support the idea of a Muslim for president.

That's his OPINION as a voter and as a citizen, an opinion he has every right to have and base his vote on. The Constitution doesn't apply, because the Constitution deals with government and laws, and Carson did not say that he advocated for laws against a Muslim being president...

So when someone says "Carson said he doesn't advocate a Muslim for president, but, but, but, Article 6 of the Constitution says"..... that doesn't work. It's irrelevant what Article 6 of the Constitution says in regard to how someone decides who to vote for.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 09-23-2015 at 01:07 AM..

Old 09-23-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag3.14 View Post
This has to be the most ridiculous defense of Ben
Carson's idiotic comment I have seen. If you don't understand why this type of
rhetoric is unacceptable
I didn't say his comment was acceptable. I didn't say I agreed with it. What I said was that he is allowed to have whatever opinion he wants and the public will decide the merit, but Article 6 of the Constitution does not make it illegal for a voter to cast their vote based on a candidate's faith, as the media and even some GOP candidates like Ted Cruz would have you believe.
Quote:
then you should not be allowed near a voting booth.
So you don't support the right of all people to vote then?

Old 09-23-2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I fully understand what you are saying, but Carson was indeed arguing for a religious test on Muslims ;regardless of if he was advocating for a law, I think the point many are making still stands.

I doubt Carson would ever utter those words about a Christian.
You mean he said he actually bases his vote on something? Shocking. You can disagree with his opinion, or pick apart the merit of it, but the fact is Article 6 has absolutely nothing to do with how an individual voter decides who to vote for. What he said is no different than how anyone else decides who to vote for. We would all like to see the country go a certain way, and that's how we decide who to vote for.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 09-23-2015 at 01:04 AM..

Old 09-23-2015, 12:37 AM

Quote:

But Huckabee is definitely all about the theocracy. That dude is scary. He even defended that Kim Davis.
I wouldn't want to vote for him anymore than I'd want to vote for a Muslim that wanted to inject his religion in to how he'd execute the laws of the country.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
Well if Kim Davis wants to not follow a law the has absolutely no Constitutional basis then yes she can and should ignore it but I guess this is going over your head.
The law DOES have a Constitutional basis. How you ask? Because the Supreme Court says so. That's how our system works. It's the agreement we as a people made in exchange for being able to live in a society. You don't have to like it, but that's the way it is.

Each and every individual doesn't get to decide what their own version of the Constitution says or doesn't say. That would be anarchy.

Old 09-23-2015, 01:38 AM

3,943 posts, read 6,378,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
Should we ever get another Muslim president I will move out of the country.
I can't believe anyone would be OK with this! I guess Obama's brainwashing has been effective on some of the people posting here. We have to be PC and not hurt the feelings of someone who hates us and wants to kill us. You people are playing right into their hands. What better way to take over a country than to be the president of that country? Oh, whats that you say? They wouldn't do that because they said they wouldn't? They wouldn't because they were sworn in on the bible, or because they signed a piece of paper saying they had converted into Christians? They are supposed to use any means necessary to befriend us. Some of you need to read the Quran. They don't wear signs around their necks, telling us which ones want to kill us! Even if they did, you couldn't believe them. Look on page 14, at my post with the video of "moderate Muslims".

Old 09-23-2015, 05:38 AM

57,360 posts, read 26,276,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1252 View Post
Should we ever get another Muslim president I will move out of the country.
Another LOL

Incredible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections