Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2015, 03:43 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There are already Muslims in the military, in state and federal congress, judges?

How do you explain this statement.

“Muslims feel that their religion is very much a part of your public life and what you do as a public official, and that’s inconsistent with our principles and our Constitution.”
I don't have the context of his full statement, but judging from what I can tell, he's saying that a Muslim wouldn't be able to separate his religiosity from the secular duties of being the President, which sounds right to me.

Regardless, it's all beside the point, because, right or wrong, this is just his OPINION as a voter and as a citizen, NOT a policy proposal. The Constitution says there can be no official "religious test", it doesn't say that individual voters can't have an opinion on a candidates faith....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
What you said goes both ways. Conservatives claim violation of free speech every time a hate-monger like Paula Dean or Mr. Duck Dynasties gets dropped by a sponsor for something they said, they are out whining about free speech.
Anyone who invokes the 1st Amendments freedom of speech clause when a private business or sponsor drops someone over their comments has just as little understanding of the Constitution as those invoking Article 6 over what Carson said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
This discussion is not about instilling Sharia law, it's about if a Muslim can hold the office of President.
No, actually that's NOT what this conversation is about. It's about the misapplication of Article 6 of the Constitution to someone's personal opinion.

I could care less whether people agree with Carson or not, just don't quote Article 6 of the Constitution. It doesn't apply unless and until Carson proposes a law banning Muslim presidents.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
He is entitled to his own opinion but he stated that a leader is in conflict with our constitution because of their religion, that is exactly the type of discrimination the founders were attempting to avoid.
No, it's not. It's this free exchange of thoughts, ideas, and dialogue, and the scrutiny of such, that the founders sought to protect when they drafted the 1st Amendment.

Until Ben Carson tries to codify his opinions in to LAW, he isn't at odds with the vision of the founders.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:56 PM

Quote:
This is not the way to help your party, and here I thought the GOP was expanding it's tent to bring in minorities and other religions.

They already lost most of the hispanic vote and there goes the Muslim (2%) vote down the drain as they march towards yest another presidential defeat, who will they insult next.
Liberals love to stereotype and put everyone in a little box, don't they? They do it with virtually everyone from blacks, to Hispanics, to women....

PS.

Muslim voters would likely be more in line with Conservatives than Liberals when it comes right down to it, hate to tell ya....

Old 09-22-2015, 04:04 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I don't have the context of his full statement, but judging from what I can tell, he's saying that a Muslim wouldn't be able to separate his religiosity from the secular duties of being the President, which sounds right to me.

Regardless, it's all beside the point, because, right or wrong, this is just his OPINION as a voter and as a citizen, NOT a policy proposal. The Constitution says there can be no official "religious test", it doesn't say that individual voters can't have an opinion on a candidates faith....
Yes of course it's his opinion same as Trumps view on citizenship for those born in the US, but for someone running for president to make that statement. That's a pretty sweeping generality making the case that a Muslim couldn't separate religion from their duty as president as there is a rather large spectrum in just about every religion.

Seems like we had more than a few Christian politicians blur the lines in Oklahoma, Alabama and other places but no one would ever make that statement.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:10 PM

50,818 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Liberals love to stereotype and put everyone in a little box, don't they? They do it with virtually everyone from blacks, to Hispanics, to women....
And you just put every liberal into a box, didn't you?

Old 09-22-2015, 04:15 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
No, it's not. It's this free exchange of thoughts, ideas, and dialogue, and the scrutiny of such, that the founders sought to protect when they drafted the 1st Amendment.

Until Ben Carson tries to codify his opinions in to LAW, he isn't at odds with the vision of the founders.

We are discussing his opinion not his ability to place them into law, since when is that the standard. It was a dumb statement for someone that wants to be president.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:17 PM

580 posts, read 449,924 times
Quote:
Ben Carson wouldn't vote for a Muslim for President... Seems a lot of people in the media, and even TED CRUZ, want to invoke Article 6 of the Constitution, which states that there can be no "religious test" for prospective presidential candidates.... Too bad that this is a complete misapplication of Article 6.
Has someone in the media come out and said Carson doesn't have a right to his opinion based on Art. 6 of the Constitution? Do you have a link for that comment?

(I haven't listened to any media on this issue), but were they possibly intimating that Carson's opinion could never be legislated into law due to Art. 6? I'm curious...

Old 09-22-2015, 04:20 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
I don't want a follower of Allah and his prophet ( peace be upon him ) as the President of the United States. Any sane person in western civilization will not want one as president of their Nation.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Old 09-22-2015, 04:29 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
I don't want a follower of Allah and his prophet ( peace be upon him ) as the President of the United States. Any sane person in western civilization will not want one as president of their Nation.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.
You are actually saying our founding fathers had a mental disorder, for they prohibited any religious test for office. Ideally, we would never know one's religious beliefs.

They also openly welcomed Muslims and all religions to practice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections