Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 09:31 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Moreover, many middle-class (and above) seniors intentionally transfer their assets to family to qualify for Medicaid to get a free ride at a nursing home or assisted living facility. That's a well known fact. I guess Republicans are cool with that kind of welfare fraud.

Mick
The middle-class doesn't want to game Medicare but they feel they don't have any alternative. Nursing homes cost over $100,000 a year -- a cost most middle-class families cannot afford. So, the choice is between gaming Medicaid or paying out-of-pocket for home care or nursing homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 09:48 AM

The idea that there is a large number of permanent moochers is a right-wing meme.

The right tries to make it appear that it is really unseemly for people to favor Democratic candidates who will pass programs that make people's lives less miserable, instead of Republicans who want to slash these programs to pay for rich people's tax-cuts. The argument is straight from the Frank Luntz playbook.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:44 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The middle-class doesn't want to game Medicare but they feel they don't have any alternative. Nursing homes cost over $100,000 a year -- a cost most middle-class families cannot afford. So, the choice is between gaming Medicaid or paying out-of-pocket for home care or nursing homes.
Although those folks that are gaming Medicaid to get free nursing home care are of all races and incomes. Actually it's those folks with higher amts of assets that are more likely to plan ahead to get on Medicaid for their nursing home care (via the spend down rules and asset transfer) because those are the folks that have enough assets to transfer and enough money to hire an attorney 5 years in advance as part of their estate planning.

Poor folks don't have any assets to transfer ahead of time and even those lower middle class folks with smaller amounts of assets, they generally don't hire lawyers for estate planning.

Bottom line, 60% of nursing home patients in the USA are on Medicaid(welfare)-thus getting free nursing home care. It's not just, as Bush said, black people that want free stuff.

I suppose the Rs don't want to post of photo of the welfare queen that is white haired, 90 years old and sitting up in a nursing home bed while her son and daughter are proud recipients of her $400k savings account and $250k home that she transferred to their names 8 years prior so they would be able to keep the assets in the family instead of paying for the nursing home .

Old 10-04-2015, 04:08 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
The idea that there is a large number of permanent moochers is a right-wing meme.

The right tries to make it appear that it is really unseemly for people to favor Democratic candidates who will pass programs that make people's lives less miserable, instead of Republicans who want to slash these programs to pay for rich people's tax-cuts. The argument is straight from the Frank Luntz playbook.
No, the Republicans want every able-bodied person to have a job so they won't need welfare to exist. The Democrats want illegal aliens to have their jobs so that Americans will have to depend on the government to exist instead. All the while illegals make the rich, richer by working for less and apparently the Democrats are ok with that. I don't know of one single GOPer that doesn't want the rich to pay their fair share of taxes either.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:39 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,010,414 times
He's correct in many respects.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No, the Republicans want every able-bodied person to have a job so they won't need welfare to exist. The Democrats want illegal aliens to have their jobs so that Americans will have to depend on the government to exist instead. All the while illegals make the rich, richer by working for less and apparently the Democrats are ok with that. I don't know of one single GOPer that doesn't want the rich to pay their fair share of taxes either.
So how, exactly, are Republicans facilitating every able-bodied person to have a job, when their policies have been to export jobs?

Moreover, a great many of the people receiving government aid are employed full-time, they just don't earn enough. So, when the Democrats try to raise the minimum wage, who opposes them? Republicans.

What Republicans are trying to do with the immigration issue is to make immigrants the enemy. This has been a tactic used throughout American history by demagogue politicians. They used that argument against the Irish, the Italians, the Jews, etc. Now, they use it against the Hispanics, who are not a serious threat to well-paying jobs.

Perhaps you don't know that Ronald Reagan support immigration amnesty.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:14 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
So how, exactly, are Republicans facilitating every able-bodied person to have a job, when their policies have been to export jobs?

Moreover, a great many of the people receiving government aid are employed full-time, they just don't earn enough. So, when the Democrats try to raise the minimum wage, who opposes them? Republicans.

What Republicans are trying to do with the immigration issue is to make immigrants the enemy. This has been a tactic used throughout American history by demagogue politicians. They used that argument against the Irish, the Italians, the Jews, etc. Now, they use it against the Hispanics, who are not a serious threat to well-paying jobs.

Perhaps you don't know that Ronald Reagan support immigration amnesty.
Why would you claim that it is only the GOP that exports jobs? For one, Trump wants to end all that. I don't have a problem with Americans who are under employed or poor not of their own making to get some help from the government but part of the reason they are that way is because of illegal aliens and yes outsourcing also. Both of these things need to end. Immigrants? Who's talking about "immigrants"? Illegal aliens aren't immigrants. Why are you blurring those lines? What Republican is demonizing Hispanics here legally? Were the Italians, Jews, Irish, etc. here illegally? Um, no they weren't.

I know that Reagan signed an amnesty but he was told by congress that the border would be secured and it wasn't. He lived to regret signing it. Today, we have 4 times the number of illegals waiting for an amnesty with a shortage of jobs and resources and a lot larger population than there was back then.

I am all for raising the minimum wage but what good will it do with millions here illegally willing to work for less? Get rid of them and watch wages go up naturally.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:26 PM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Yeah, that's how I feel about it too. But I don't know what you want from Republicans. You said that you want them to talk about safe streets and fixing schools and all, and I do believe that they talk about these things. If you think that Democrats will do better with those issues, then vote Democrat. But they've had a monopoly in cities like Detroit, Baltimore, Philly, Newark, etc., etc., etc. for a looooong time, and I'm not very impressed with either the quality of schools or the safety of the streets in those places.
What do I want? I want people like Jeb Bush, Newt Gingrich, and Rick Santorum to stop addressing Blacks as if they were some kind of burden. Just tell the people what you will do if elected. Address the people as people, not as burdens.

And something else I want to mention. Minneapolis, San Jose, Seattle, Boston, Columbus(OH), Denver, all of those cities are basically liberal cities and they are in much better shape than Baltimore and Detroit. I don't think the problem is Democrats.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:36 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Dems pounce as Bush defends 'stuff happens' remarks - CNNPolitics.com

I'm an independent, leaning toward Bush - and can very well understand his point of view and can't believe how misunderstood he seems to be whenever he makes a point. If I were Jeb, I'd say "screw it" - you want Trump? You got him. Enjoy as he wrecks the country. I'm outahere"

At this point, the country really deserves to be screwed over by a guy like Trump. How the country has fallen over the last couple of years.....blame it on the electorate.

Old 10-05-2015, 07:38 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What do I want? I want people like Jeb Bush, Newt Gingrich, and Rick Santorum to stop addressing Blacks as if they were some kind of burden. Just tell the people what you will do if elected. Address the people as people, not as burdens.
Review unemployment rates, crime rates, education levels/rates - they are burdensome to the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections