Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 07:43 AM

19,792 posts, read 14,007,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What do I want? I want people like Jeb Bush, Newt Gingrich, and Rick Santorum to stop addressing Blacks as if they were some kind of burden. Just tell the people what you will do if elected. Address the people as people, not as burdens.

And something else I want to mention. Minneapolis, San Jose, Seattle, Boston, Columbus(OH), Denver, all of those cities are basically liberal cities and they are in much better shape than Baltimore and Detroit. I don't think the problem is Democrats.
Not to mention San Fransisco, perhaps the most liberal city in the U.S. Then, there is NY that has a $3 billion surplus, with the most liberal mayor in the land.

Anyone trying to argue that liberal policies hurt cities is pretending to be serious, when they are not. The poorest areas in the country vote red. Perhaps if they voted differently, they'd have better opportunities available to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 07:54 AM

19,792 posts, read 14,007,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Dems pounce as Bush defends 'stuff happens' remarks - CNNPolitics.com

I'm an independent, leaning toward Bush - and can very well understand his point of view and can't believe how misunderstood he seems to be whenever he makes a point. If I were Jeb, I'd say "screw it" - you want Trump? You got him. Enjoy as he wrecks the country. I'm outahere"

At this point, the country really deserves to be screwed over by a guy like Trump. How the country has fallen over the last couple of years.....blame it on the electorate.
Quote:
Review unemployment rates, crime rates, education levels/rates - they are burdensome to the country.
Charles Blow undercuts your arguments here: Jeb Bush, ‘Free Stuff’ and Black Folks

Bush characterizes the problem as, "That the black community is plagued by pathological dependence and a chronic, self-defeating posture of victimization." When in fact, as Blow points out, "The problem isn’t refusal to work, but inability to find work that is stable and pays a living wage, thereby pushing them out of need and eligibility."

Thus, if Bush can't identify the correct problem, he's going to miss the correct solution.

But who are we fooling? These are just excuses. Whenever given the chance, modern Republicans try to cut the safety net. Jeb!'s brother did it to Medicaid. Jeb! will continue the process. Romney derided the 47% who were too poor to pay federal income taxes. They all just need an excuse to cut the safety net. Whether that excuse is welfare queens, fraud and abuse or 'free stuff.' They all have already decided on the prescription, they just need an plausible symptom.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:24 AM

73,235 posts, read 63,096,689 times
Quote:
Review unemployment rates, crime rates, education levels/rates - they are burdensome to the country.
Actually, the underclass is a burden. The rest of the Black population is trying to make it just like everyone else. Many doing better than others. What do you expect Black people to do if you address them as if all pf them are some kind of burden? Do you expect votes? If tjat is the case , then that is a delusion.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:49 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,845,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
But who are we fooling? These are just excuses. Whenever given the chance, modern Republicans try to cut the safety net. Jeb!'s brother did it to Medicaid. Jeb! will continue the process. Romney derided the 47% who were too poor to pay federal income taxes. They all just need an excuse to cut the safety net. Whether that excuse is welfare queens, fraud and abuse or 'free stuff.' They all have already decided on the prescription, they just need an plausible symptom.
Basically. The search for a "reason" that sticks has been on for decades. It hasn't mattered that the numbers don't back up the claims in a very long time.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Not to mention San Fransisco, perhaps the most liberal city in the U.S. Then, there is NY that has a $3 billion surplus, with the most liberal mayor in the land.

Anyone trying to argue that liberal policies hurt cities is pretending to be serious, when they are not. The poorest areas in the country vote red. Perhaps if they voted differently, they'd have better opportunities available to them.
MTATech,

Just north of San Francisco is Marin County, one of the richest counties in the USA. Marin County is solid blue.

Places in eastern Kentucky and West Virginia voted Republican in the last few Presidential elections. Those places are some of the most impoverished areas in the nation.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Charles Blow undercuts your arguments here: Jeb Bush, ‘Free Stuff’ and Black Folks

Bush characterizes the problem as, "That the black community is plagued by pathological dependence and a chronic, self-defeating posture of victimization." When in fact, as Blow points out, "The problem isn’t refusal to work, but inability to find work that is stable and pays a living wage, thereby pushing them out of need and eligibility."

Thus, if Bush can't identify the correct problem, he's going to miss the correct solution.

This is the way I see it. You do not get votes by criticizing a population. And furthermore, there is something else I see in it. I believe that Jeb Bush is looking at Blacks as a whole as a burden. I don't think the "Black community" is plagued by such problems. I see it as a segment of the Black population is satisfied to just mooch off of the system. There is also a segment of the Black population that wants jobs but struggle to find jobs.

This is how I would have said it:

If I am elected President, this is what I can do. I will work to create incentives for the people in these communities to start businesses in the communities. I will work to bring jobs to the communities, work with the communities to make the schools better, to help the community flourish. I won't make one mention of welfare of "free stuff". I would say "this is what I offer to bring jobs, help people start businesses, work with the community to make the neighborhoods safer and the schools better". Talking down to your potential voters will only alienate them.

I believe some candidates either don't understand that, or don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections