Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 05:09 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
^ At least 40% because Ben Carson is in second place. I would take either one over a politician.

Great interview. Stephanopoulos was less rude than the other liberal interviewers, however, it's hard to tell why he was being fair, he's hard to read.
I seem to remember that he got a raw deal from the Clintons after he helped Clinton get elected in the first place. i.e. He learned early not to trust a Clinton.

So possibly, though I do realize this is quite a stretch of the imagination to believe, he might be a bit more objective than most of these TeeVee pundits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 05:19 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
You're not listening close enough. We have a lot of unemployed to include those that have given up looking and are on public assistance because there are no jobs in their area, the underemployed and we produce virtually nothing. Obviously, you are younger and don't remember what America used to be and maybe aren't that famliar with economics but what he is saying makes perfect sense. One of the reasons everything is being let go is that the tax base has disappeared as we are pushed into 3rd world status.

Repealing NAFTA, putting the tariff on incoming goods like we used to when America was great. E-verifying ALL jobs will work to open jobs to legal residents as it should be.

I trust that he knows how to hire "terrific people" and probably has an idea who he will ask and has probably asked them and knows that they will be onboard with him when he is elected as POTUS. Others hire who they make promises to, Trump does not. Seriously, someone like Obama who considers himself "good" couldn't recognize "good" from not.

The Wall? You simply charge a fee on incoming goods that will cover it. They don't want to pay the fee, they don't bring in their goods. Everyone crossing could be charged a fee. And, if you don't think that people are crossing the border illegally: 2.5 million illegals cross border under Obama, less than Bush - Washington Times Less, maybe but no one really knows BUT we need the wall to keep them there once deported. This will also help reduce the illegal drug traffic coming in which is a plague on our country and save billions of tax dollars not carrying these people here illegally. Also, he wants to address HB1 visas because these foreign workers are displacing our tech people who are left either underemployed or unemployed.

I agree with everything but then, I studied World History, US History and Economics. I see the plague that illegal immigration is every day of my life now. The Iran deal, oh my gosh, an embarrassment to our country. ObamacareNot is a disaster.

There has been a domino effect going on for some time now. Students graduating from high school and college aren't finding jobs. Wages and benefits have become nothing and pensions are essentially gone. We are constantly told to save for retirement because social security is disappearing. What the heck are we supposed to save when so many can't even make ends meet with the depressed wages?

At this point, giving someone a chance with real ideas and actually acknowledging the issues is well worth the risk that will be minimal. We are so far south that 4 years won't make or break our country. But, Trump will get it started in the first 4 years and finish a lot of the details in his 2nd term as POTUS.

Trump represents hope to a country that has lost hope in the hands of the incompetence, selfish, lazy and corrupt politicians. We need to get behind Trump and kick our representatives in the butt and get them to serve the people that elected them because a POTUS cannot do the job alone (even though King Obama thinks so), he will need our support all the way. "Let's Make American Great Again"? Notice "Let's" - Let US, team effort. Go Trump 2016!
First, I am probably older than you and remember quite a bit and don't appreciate your patronizing words. I smiled when you wrote that I probably don't understand economics, because I am an economist.

Second, the number of people crossing the border is now at a two decade low.

I don't know what you are talking about when you wrote that the "tax base has disappeared." The U.S. had record revenue this year. Most of everything else you wrote sounds like you're parroting talk radio. You called the Iran deal an embarrassment, but it's supported by security experts in the U.S., Israel and other nations. Just because Netanyahu doesn't support it, doesn't mean that's the informed consensus in Israel.

Once again, Trump brings to the table nothing but platitudes (e.g. "I'll make America great.") I really don't understand that people like you don't seem to be concerned that the only detailed plan he outlined, his tax plan, adds $11 trillion to the debt.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:45 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
,,,, I probably don't understand economics, because I am an economist..
A pseudo science if there ever was one. It's the only profession in the world where you can say absolutely anything and never be held to account for it. The failure of any economist in 2008 to predict the coming complete meltdown of the USA financial sector and real estate market is proof enough of this.

I find that you didn't actually refute anything said by the party you were responding to. Personal anecdotes, platitude, and fallacy don't make for valid counterpoint.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:21 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,284,785 times
Quote:
I smiled when you wrote that I probably don't understand economics, because I am an economist.
I have family members graduating with a BS in Economics and all they can get are temp jobs for $12 hour or if they are lucky permanent jobs for $35000/yr. After 4 years in college that is $16/hr. Meanwhile hamburger flippers are demanding and getting $15. That is some screwed up economy that you refuse to at least give someone else a chance to may be fix it.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
A pseudo science if there ever was one. It's the only profession in the world where you can say absolutely anything and never be held to account for it. The failure of any economist in 2008 to predict the coming complete meltdown of the USA financial sector and real estate market is proof enough of this.

I find that you didn't actually refute anything said by the party you were responding to. Personal anecdotes, platitude, and fallacy don't make for valid counterpoint.
A) I thought I contended everything you said.
B) I am sure you understand everything a professional economist knows, without the baggage of actual studying the field. I see why you support Trump. He thinks the same way. Running a government is easy! All you need are 'terrific people.' One doesn't have to bother with trivialities like foreign trade agreements or the fact that the president can't just order a tariff on foreign goods. Details, details.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:19 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,487,317 times
Why isn't the press or anyone else asking the other candidates, in detail - what their plans are for running America? Or gun control? Budget plans? Employment plans? What their spouse is going to achieve as First lady (or First man)? The truth is many people are fascinated by Trump and his ideas..if they like to admit it or not. Imo, he actually offers hope to our country.

I wish we would have known more about Obama before he was elected.

Old 10-04-2015, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
Why isn't the press or anyone else asking the other candidates, in detail - what their plans are for running America? Or gun control? Budget plans? Employment plans? What their spouse is going to achieve as First lady (or First man)? The truth is many people are fascinated by Trump and his ideas..if they like to admit it or not. Imo, he actually offers hope to our country.

I wish we would have known more about Obama before he was elected.
Obama's policy positions were well publicized.

From what I read, Trump's positions are essentially the central planks of modern conservatism -- slashing taxes on the rich and benefits for the public at large. But those positions are deeply unpopular with voters. Trump, the marketer, knows that the only way to win an election is by packaging these policies in a different box; it's not about slashing benefits to hungry children; it's about cutting benefits to undeserving illegals and lazy welfare dads who don't want to work. Reading the posts on CD, I can see Trump has a strategy that works on some people.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:24 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
I strongly support Trump!!! He's correct on the issues. He has a consistent, superior vision with strong leadership that is lacking in all the other candidates and especially in the dynasty candidates ( Bush & Clinton ). He is in the race for the right reasons. He isn't pandering to any special interest group but to the American people as a whole who want to see America prosper and be respected. Are there enough of those Americans left ? We will see.
He's pandering to the big government supporters since he is one. He's for bailouts, the stimulus and now wants DonaldCare. He's for eminent domain.
First he's against the War on Drugs and now he's for it. First he's pro choice and now he's not. For gun control and now he's not. First he's for privatizing Social Security now he's not. Said Jeb and Hillary were good leaders and now he says the opposite.

What anyone sees in this vapid flip flopper is beyond me.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:28 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Obama's policy positions were well publicized.

From what I read, Trump's positions are essentially the central planks of modern conservatism -- slashing taxes on the rich and benefits for the public at large. But those positions are deeply unpopular with voters. Trump, the marketer, knows that the only way to win an election is by packaging these policies in a different box; it's not about slashing benefits to hungry children; it's about cutting benefits to undeserving illegals and lazy welfare dads who don't want to work. Reading the posts on CD, I can see Trump has a strategy that works on some people.
He's not for slashing taxes on the rich, he wants to increase it for them. Plenty of time for him to flip flop again.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:29 PM

4,204 posts, read 2,343,087 times
Listen to Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections