Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 09:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
As someone who kind of supports Trump, (meaning I will vote for him, and hope his past successes and accomplishments hold well in the Oval office), there is one issue I cant get passed. Clearly its not enough to keep me from voting for him, but thats due to a lack of other options.

That one issue is.

Over promises to the point that you set the goal far too high, so no matter whats done, it could be rated a failure.

Look at ACA, which was promised to cut the deficit, premiums, increase benefits, and insuring everyone. Nope.. there are a few minor benefits to the law, but the lack of results, will always be outweighed by the promises that were made that are total failures.

The economy has hardly budged since Obama was swo

rn in, the only difference is the economy is no longer collapsing, but policies were set in stone prior to Obama being sworn in which caused that, even though Obama will always get the credit.

Just like any improvement which would take place during a Trump Presidency, would come as the very same policies, and things like economic cycles.

My concern would be that Trump, who brags all the time non stop, could over promise to the point that nothing he does, could be construed as a success, even if they are improvements.
jAnd this is exactly why I could not support him unless I absolutely have no choice. If it comes down to him and Hillary, I guess I will have to vote for him or a 3rd party and I hate the thought of throwing a vote away. His arrogance and bragging is going to end it for him I think. I wonder how much of what he says he can do, he really beleives?

As much as I think Obama is arrogant, and I really can't stand him as a president or even his attitude period. I think he was chosen by Soros and groomed to be President, I do think he thought much of what he said he would do, he would get done. I don't feel that way about Trump. He is all talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Writing checks that your *** can't cash is why the Republican base and the Tea contingent are upset with the establishment GOP. Of course the base and the TP folks aren't realists either.

Some of the broken and unrealistic promises or talking points included:
  • Repealing Obamacare
  • Opposing Marriage Equality

It wasn't due to a lack of effort. McConnell and Boehner definitely did everything they could to obstruct Obama at every turn. What distinguishes these guys from the "true believers" is that they're realists about politics (you can't get everything you want, and the Executive has veto power over legislation.

Now in the highly unlikely scenario that Trump actually can get elected - he's in for a rude surprise, or more likely, his supporters are. How's he gonna get stuff through Congress? You think his scattershot gratuitous Twitter insults are gonna impress folks like McConnell?
OK Mr I love Obama explain why he got almost nothing done when he had conrol of both houses for 2 years and one house unitl last year? Is that the fault of the GOP?

Old 10-09-2015, 09:20 AM

366 posts, read 1,017,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
By definition you have to go by their promises. They are not president yet. For the record, Obama never promised ACA because he knew if he had he would not be elected. 85% of people had and were satisfied with their insurance. Instead, he deceived people into thinking he is going to reduce the cost of healthcare. Remember, “bending the cost curve?” Trump himself can’t guarantee anything because he doesn’t know. Nobody knows. But at least he has the credibility to give it a try. He says he can bring the jobs back from overseas. There is a LOT he can do. Why can’t WE have $400 billion positive trade imbalance with China? What if he brings back just $200 billion. How many jobs is that?
85% had insurance but the satisfaction rate wasn't 85%. In regards to bending the cost curve, almost no one from either party is addressing that for traditional private insurance. The same goes for Medicare. Limiting medicare expenditures doesn't address the cost of care at all. There's so many factors involved in the cost of care ranging from unnecessary procedures, the fee for service system vs fee for outcome, the debt that med students have when they graduate, the shortage of primary care physicians, tort reform, not allowing medicare to directly negotiate drug prices, not allowing reimportation of drugs, and the list goes on.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:38 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OK Mr I love Obama explain why he got almost nothing done when he had conrol of both houses for 2 years and one house unitl last year? Is that the fault of the GOP?
Got almost nothing done? Well, yeah, if you don't count passing the ACA, passing the stimulus, saving the auto industry, tracking down and killing Bin Laden, signing new credit card regulations, creating the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau and seating two female Supreme Court justices, all in his first term. Yeah, if you discount all of those things, I guess you could say he "got almost nothing done."

And that was despite the constant obstruction by the GOP, which makes these accomplishments even more noteworthy.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:21 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Just like Obama did.. right?
Well, if he's doing "Just like Obama did", why would someone who continually whines about Obama want to vote for him? Why is there any reason to expect a different outcome?

Old 10-09-2015, 06:39 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I think worse lying from a president was "Mission Accomplished."
"The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa."
“A Wiretap Requires A Court Order. Nothing Has Changed.”
He should have changed that to "mission could accomplished if we were willing to accept some collateral damage"...or words to that effect......you give George too much credit. This guy is much worse . He lies routinely. Takes it to an art form and is the most racially divisive president we ever had including those two democrat crackers Johnson and Kennedy......grin F'ers they were....as Kennedy was quoted as saying...doesn't matter how free they are, they will never be rich enough to be my neighbor......now, this guy......amazing....says hello to whites, the very race that carried him in office....twice.....says hellos..through clenched teeth....his wife was finally "proud to be an American" after her "hardship" at what, Princeton? Real suffering there....tsk tsk.

This guy is abysmal.

Last edited by Caleb Longstreet; 10-09-2015 at 06:49 PM..

Old 10-09-2015, 06:53 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,421,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
He should have changed that to "mission could accomplished if we were willing to accept some collateral damage"...or words to that effect......you give George too much credit. This guy is much worse . He lies routinely. Takes it to an art form and is the most racially divisive president we ever had including those two democrat crackers Johnson and Kennedy......grin F'ers they were....as Kennedy was quoted as saying...doesn't matter how free they are, they will never be rich enough to be my neighbor......now, this guy......amazing....says hello to whites, the very race that carried him in office....twice.....says hellos..through clenched teeth....his wife was finally "proud to be an American" after her "hardship" at what, Princeton? Real suffering there....tsk tsk.

This guy is abysmal.
This post is so incoherent, Donald Trump wants to use it for his next speech.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Obama said as much. Didn’t he hold up Iraq as a model for the Middle East? He and Biden both. And this was a scant one year before everything blew up. This was HIS mission accomplished.
Suuure it is. Try not to strain a muscle with that reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Whats propping up the DOW?
Why did 579k leave the work force in September but unemployment stayed the same?
Why has income remained stagnant the last FEW YEARS when we are in the age of technology and we have supposedly recovered from the crash?
Why is the poverty rate still higher now than before the crash?

THAT is reality!
We're at that point in the thread where right-wingers have to be explained how the unemployment rate is calculated. New day, same old crap.

The answers to your other questions are easy--trickle-down economic principles. They are destroyers of the middle class. Even worse, any attempts to give wages a boost are shot down by conservatives.

It's a miracle we've recovered as much as we have.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:08 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
"The economy has hardly budged since Obama was sworn in, the only difference is the economy is no longer collapsing, but policies were set in stone prior to Obama being sworn in which caused that, even though Obama will always get the credit."

Seriously? LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL...
I don't see how anyone can take you seriously.

Old 10-10-2015, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Got almost nothing done? Well, yeah, if you don't count passing the ACA, passing the stimulus, saving the auto industry, tracking down and killing Bin Laden, signing new credit card regulations, creating the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau and seating two female Supreme Court justices, all in his first term. Yeah, if you discount all of those things, I guess you could say he "got almost nothing done."

And that was despite the constant obstruction by the GOP, which makes these accomplishments even more noteworthy.
ACA is about the only thing that is really all that meaningful and many are not, at all, happy with it, including those who have it and the rest of us who have seen our deductables and premiums sky rocket!!! As for killing Ben Laden that had nothing to do with congress. BTW, it appears the plans for killing him were underway before Obama ever took office, but I do think, as long as he was the leader at the time, we have to give him credit. Of course it is impossible for you to admit Bush had something to do with getting him, only thing Bush had anything to do with is bad. He did not save the auto industry, it would have survived on its own.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:08 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
ACA is about the only thing that is really all that meaningful and many are not, at all, happy with it, including those who have it and the rest of us who have seen our deductables and premiums sky rocket!!! As for killing Ben Laden that had nothing to do with congress. BTW, it appears the plans for killing him were underway before Obama ever took office, but I do think, as long as he was the leader at the time, we have to give him credit. Of course it is impossible for you to admit Bush had something to do with getting him, only thing Bush had anything to do with is bad. He did not save the auto industry, it would have survived on its own.
It's kind of hard to argue that the plan to kill bin Laden was made prior to Obama's presidency when bin Laden's compound was only discovered in August 2010. It's also hard to argue that Bush had anything to do with it when, (during a news conference at the White House on March 13, 2002), Bush said, "I truly am not that concerned about him."

The auto industry was on in dire straights. GM and Chrysler were insolvent and read to close. GM couldn't find any buyers for it's plants. Had GM and Chrysler closed, they would have killed the supply chain and Ford would have been in trouble. Then, there would have been millions more unemployed at the time. Saving the the industry actually saved federal money, bu obviating billions in unemployment benefits.

Be careful not to dent your head with those head-smacks.

Last edited by MTAtech; 10-10-2015 at 05:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections